What's new

Did I just shave with the world's sharpest straight? (0.125 Cubic Boron Nitride)

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Bong,..... Ralph Nader wants his Corvair seat belt collection back:001_tt2:

(and what is the 7 day set perched in the photo????????)

Jay, I don't know the answer, but based on feel. I don't think so. The webbing is very smooth and slick.

Mike the 7 day set is a set of schulze razors I picked up about a month ago. It was missing one razor but I had a schulze in my possession already that matches the set pretty well. One of these days I think I'll start a "show us your 7 day sets" thread

Jay, I don't know the answer, but based on feel. I don't think so. The webbing is very smooth and slick.

Mike the 7 day set is a set of schulze razors I picked up about a month ago. It was missing one razor but I had a schulze in my possession already that matches the set pretty well. One of these days I think I'll start a "show us your 7 day sets" thread

Better give us a heads up so we can all make sure we have one by then. I'm sure I have 7 razors I could throw in a shoe box, but that's not the same, is it? :001_tongu

I gave it ago on linen, and on leather used about a 1/4 of the bottle. I took a few microscope pictures and also used my other scope for honing. I found that it is a decent cutter and not as fine or as fast as .25 diamond. I spent about 4 hrs on experimenting. From diamond to this, from chome to this, and fresh off a 10k naniwa chosera you name it. It did seem to smooth out the edge a touch but in return it was less sharp than the diamond but not by much. This is not to say that the diamond is not smooth. All in all its smoother than diamond and almost as sharp but not quite. For the cost I much prefer diamond or .3 micron chome ox. I dont heavily rely on microscopes alone. Ive found that the way a razor cuts some arm hair can tell you alot. These are just my personal thoughts and my findings YMMV

I gave it ago on linen, and on leather used about a 1/4 of the bottle. I took a few microscope pictures and also used my other scope for honing. I found that it is a decent cutter and not as fine or as fast as .25 diamond. I spent about 4 hrs on experimenting. From diamond to this, from chome to this, and fresh off a 10k naniwa chosera you name it. It did seem to smooth out the edge a touch but in return it was less sharp than the diamond but not by much. This is not to say that the diamond is not smooth. All in all its smoother than diamond and almost as sharp but not quite. For the cost I much prefer diamond or .3 micron chome ox. I dont heavily rely on microscopes alone. Ive found that the way a razor cuts some arm hair can tell you alot. These are just my personal thoughts and my findings YMMV

Ambrose, you troublemaker!! :laugh:

Interesting results. Did you notice any difference in the scratch pattern between 0.125u CBN and the 0.25u diamond?

Ambrose, you troublemaker!! :laugh:

Interesting results. Did you notice any difference in the scratch pattern between 0.125u CBN and the 0.25u diamond?

nope just sharing my personal thoughts. :001_smile

Both are so fine you cant really see much scratch patterns. You only see the last stone scratches being slowly erased.

I have some ok microscope pictures that I took last night I need to sort them out for you.

I used two razors in my experiments.

Here is the first one a filly barba duras

chosera10k
proxy.php

Chosera 10k to CBN - on linen 90 laps

proxy.php

To .25 diamond on linen - 60 laps

proxy.php

To CBN - 100 laps

proxy.php

A hair for scale on a razor that needs a touch up.

proxy.php

There are things that you cant see with this scope. So for that one must shave with it and decide if you like it.

I like the 0.1 Diamond but the problem that I had with it is that it tended to give the edge a bit a jagged edge, very fine but still jagged when compared to J-Nats and the like. Diamonds tend to to make very harsh scratches because of the natural geometry of the diamond. How does this stuff compare?

Thanks,
Richard

Last edited:
Richard, are you doing these visible inspections by eye, using a loupe or via microscope? I don't see any jaggedness via eye or my 10 coddiington lens, I don't have a real stereoscope, just a 10 dollar handheld radio shack/ ebay scope.

I was pretty happy with the .125CBN on nylon webbing. I didn't think it was rough at all, but then again, I didn't think the .5 Diamond spray was harsh either.

Today I'm gonna try the .125 on Balsa to see if I can tell a difference between the balsa and the nylon webbing.

I used to be a Japanese naturals guy until I looked under the scope.

Greaves finished on an asagi

proxy.php

Refinished on chosera 10k to .25 diamond

proxy.php

Frame back on coti

proxy.php

Same blade to diamond

proxy.php

My finest Kiita maruka

proxy.php

proxy.php

Jose, what are those horizontal lines on the 4th pic down labeled " same blade to diamond" are those just lines left over from wiping the edge down?

Richard, are you doing these visible inspections by eye, using a loupe or via microscope? I don't see any jaggedness via eye or my 10 coddiington lens, I don't have a real stereoscope, just a 10 dollar handheld radio shack/ ebay scope.

I was pretty happy with the .125CBN on nylon webbing. I didn't think it was rough at all, but then again, I didn't think the .5 Diamond spray was harsh either.

Today I'm gonna try the .125 on Balsa to see if I can tell a difference between the balsa and the nylon webbing.

It would take a lot of magnification to see the diamond jaggedness that I am referring to but I noticed it when I shaved. Diamonds, as a material, have very harsh sharp edges no matter what the size because of the crystalline structure of the diamond. There was also another annoying problem and that was during a "scything" stroke the blade has a real tendency to slice skin. I personally thought it was because of the jagged edge tended to really "catch" on things. Good for hair, bad for skin. The shaves were deceptively smooth.

I look at a razor edge as having two different components. One is the bevel and the other is the very edge. One can polish the bevel for smoothness and still have a "harshness" caused by the edge. This material looks to be different and very interesting. If it cuts like a J-Nat and breaks down but still has a more rounded geometry then it would be a jump in performance without some of the disadvantages of diamonds.

Take Care,
Richard

Not a whole lot of difference between the balsa and the nylon webbing.
I gave 2 razors the same treatment 20x on.25 CBN on nylon webbing and 20x .125 CBN on either Balsa on the handamerica modular bench strop, or on Nylon webbing.

Both felt very smooth, but I think coming off the nylon webbing the shave was a fraction closer.

I used to be a Japanese naturals guy until I looked under the scope.

I'll throw a few ideas out there. This was discussed over the summer on another forum here and I'll post here what I posted there.

A comparison of the finish off a J-nat to diamond paste is inherently flawed because most natural Japanese stones don't leave a mirror finish. A more equitable comparison is diamond to a synthetic stone, such as Shapton Pro 30K, Chosera 10K, or Hard Translucent Arkansas.

The abrasive particles of natural stones aren't uniform. When you set the bevel on a Coticule with slurry, you get striations going all over the place because as the abrasive particles break down, they are free to move all over the place. There is no set pattern. If you set the bevel on a D8E, for example, the scratch pattern is consistent because the abrasive surface is in a fixed pattern. Regardless, both stones have set the bevel and the appearance of the edge is irrelevant.

Another point is that J-nats and other natural stones are usually made of softer and rounder particles compared to synthetics. Thus, the particles of natural stones break down faster and they round (smooth) over the jagged peaks of carbides and surrounding steel of a blade. The particles don't completely even out the steel, which leaves a satin finish. Synthetic stones are usually made of harder and more resistant particles. They remove all the jagged peaks of the steel, including the ones that the natural hones couldn't remove, which leaves an even, mirror finish.

Ultimately though, it's about the shaving edge and a mirrored edge isn't necessarily a better shaving edge. That rounding of the steel gives you a smoother and more forgiving edge. Synthetic stones and diamond pastes don't just round over the peaks - they remove them altogether. That gives you a sharper edge. Only the user can decide whether they prefer smooth or sharp.

Top Bottom