What's new

Did I do good?

I stopped in at a local antique mall, and happened to spot a Sheaffer Snorkel sitting in one of the cases. It was in it's original case, and had the instructions. It looks like it is in good condition. Would the first thing I should do is give it a warm water bath?

$IMG_0334[1].jpg $IMG_0335[1].jpg
$IMG_0336[1].jpg $IMG_0337[1].jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Would the first thing I should do is give it a warm water bath?

No.

You did good though.

Check to see if the sac is pliable and if the barrel pumps a little pressure. (after you take it open at the chrome threaded area)

Soak pens in cool water.

edit: OK, I see it's open with the spring showing in the second pic. Poke the sac with a toothpick (gently, through one of the holes in the sac protector tube) and see if it's soft, and then if you can get pressure in the barrel when you push the knob back. Put you finger over the end to check.

Last edited:
The sack appears to be ok. When I push the plunger down there is pressure/resistance. Also there was still a couple of drops of blue ink in the barrel. When I pushed the plunger down, it expelled the blue ink from the snorkel.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sounds like you totally lucked out! Flush it, fill it, and go for it -- see if it writes a couple pages before you run dry.

Nice!

proxy.php

Last edited:
Well, I loaded the pen. Only pushing down once, and letting the snorkel sit in the ink for a couple of seconds. I was able to get roughly a 1.5 pages so far on a rhodia pad. It still has ink to keep going. I do have one question though. What is a pen like this worth? I don't want to sell it. I just want to know if I got a good deal.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Going out on a limb here, I would say between $60-$100 since you have the presentation box (although the BP or pencil is missing). Higher in a retail setting with a restored and guaranteed filling system.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I was going to ask you to tell me backchannel what you paid! But you lucked out that it doesn't need $35 in repairs, the going Snorkel charge. Where did you find it?

The metal capped pens are more desirable and command a higher price usually.

I got it at the Jesse James Antique Mall in St Joseph, MO. I had to go to Savannah which is north of St Joe. I had to pass the antique mall on the way. I started thinking about the Nib. I thought, I am going to stop on the way back.

strop

Now half as wise
I went to 4 antique malls today and didn't spot anything even close! Great score.

Mark

Top Bottom