What's new

Diamond Paste Question.

I found a good suggestion for using a paddle strop with 0.5-micron chromium oxide compound to bring back the edge on my dovo. I went to classic shaving, where all my gear comes from, and they have a Dovo Paddle Style Razor Strop, with one side being Russian leather and the other side coated with red sharpening compound. This latter side is supposed to restore an edge that has become dull through normal use, then you are to finish with the Russian leather side instead of a hanging strop.

They say that the red sharpening compound is a 1.5 grit as opposed to the 0.5-micron chromium oxide compound mentioned above. Does anybody have any experience with this Dovo Paddle Strop? I'm wondering if I should get it or find another paddle strop and get the 0.5-micron chromium oxide compound to coat it with.
Rich

“Be respectful to your superiors, if you have any” – Mark Twain

I found a good suggestion for using a paddle strop with 0.5-micron chromium oxide compound to bring back the edge on my dovo. I went to classic shaving, where all my gear comes from, and they have a Dovo Paddle Style Razor Strop, with one side being Russian leather and the other side coated with red sharpening compound. This latter side is supposed to restore an edge that has become dull through normal use, then you are to finish with the Russian leather side instead of a hanging strop.

They say that the red sharpening compound is a 1.5 grit as opposed to the 0.5-micron chromium oxide compound mentioned above. Does anybody have any experience with this Dovo Paddle Strop? I'm wondering if I should get it or find another paddle strop and get the 0.5-micron chromium oxide compound to coat it with.
Rich

“Be respectful to your superiors, if you have any” – Mark Twain

Get a 4 sided paddle strop from Tony Miller...

Thanks Joel. Any suggestions as to grit of the diamond paste and if Tony has a website?
Rich

I have both the small TI paddle strop and the 3 inch version. I use the small one on the road. They both work great.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn! Classic Shaving has 4 different TI paddle strops and none of them give the size. One is called a box strop and another a travel strop. Are these the two you were talking about?
Rich

“Work and play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions.” – Mark Twain

The travel strop is about 1 1/2 inches wide and the other one is 3 inches wide.

I do really use a hanging strop most of the time, but I love the little one for traveling and I also mess around with a loom strop at the house. It has a very soft leather on one side and a linen side with green paste on the other. Too big for travel though. For diamond pastes, I use the flat bed leather hones from www.handamerican.com and they are awesome. Actually their horse hide hanging strops are killer too.

Lynn

Thanks Taz! Just did some business w/Tony.

[For diamond pastes, I use the flat bed leather hones from www.handamerican.com and they are awesome./QUOTE]

Thanks Lynn! The website for Handamerican is not up and running and they won't sell me a flatbed leather hone over the phone. Went with Tony's 4 sided strop. Might pick up the travel strop from CS another day.
Rich

“All good things arrive unto them that wait – and don’t die in the meantime.” :crying: – Mark Twain

Thanks Taz! Just did some business w/Tony.

[For diamond pastes, I use the flat bed leather hones from www.handamerican.com and they are awesome./QUOTE]

Thanks Lynn! The website for Handamerican is not up and running and they won't sell me a flatbed leather hone over the phone. Went with Tony's 4 sided strop. Might pick up the travel strop from CS another day.
Rich

“All good things arrive unto them that wait – and don’t die in the meantime.” :crying: – Mark Twain

Call or email him he wioll help you out he told me the web site will be up any day now, wait till you see some of his new stuff
WOW

Top Bottom