What's new

Delayed Foreign Transaction Fees - Martin De Candre - Just a heads up

Yup, in Amex land only Platinum has no foreign transaction fee.

I travel a lot to Europe and use Chase Sapphire to avoid fees.

+2. The Chase Sapphire card is what I use when I travel. The hotels, restaurants charges, etc. can add up when you include the foreign transaction fees.

any other cards besides chase that do not charge for visa or mastercard? i have a handful to choose from but not chase and it seems mdc only takes visa / mastercard or i would use my discover

Last night, I did an online transaction with a company in Canada. Everything went through smoothly, but this morning, I started getting robo-calls from my bank to verify that my card had not been stolen. They called me every hour and left voice-mails, with my name and the last four digits of my debit card as identifying info.

First thing I did was to google the 1-800 number that appeared on my Caller ID. I found out that this is a legit fraud prevention service from my bank, and lots of people had gotten the same call. A lot thought it was a phishing scam and hung on them, but they keep calling back.

When I answered the next call, I was talking to a robo-voice and answering questions by pressing 1 for yes, 2 for no, etc. The only info they required of me to verify was my billing zipcode. They didn't ask for my SSN or my DOB or anything really detailed. The voice read out the last 3 transactions on my card, one-by-one, and asked me to verify that they were legitimate. They all were fine.

Top Bottom