What's new

DE to Mach 3 to Straights!!!

Long story short I've been wetshaving with a DE for two years now...tried all kinds of razor/blade combos and I just can't get it right. I have a steel beard and a Mach 3 is just so much more quick, closer, and more comfortable. I switched to DE to save money, not because of razor burn or bad shaves. I get a much better shave with a Mach 3 than any DE/Prep/Cream combo I've tried! As far as the time saving goes I'm not too worried about that. If I could get a good shave with a straight I'd love to spend the extra time on it! One question I can't seem to find an answer too. How time consuming/complicated is the honing/sharpening process? I wouldn't mind spending some time on it every day or once a week...however often it requires...but I'm definetly not going to spend and hour a day or something like that. I don't think it takes that long, but I can't find any info about it. Thanks in advance!

I recently started with straights by trying out the Feather RG and Feather DX. You get the straight experience without having to buy hones and strops.

There are a LOT of variables that can take place, so you won't get a specific answer to your question. You could get away with as little as 5 minutes a week just doing a touch-up on a coticule w/water or an hour or more dealing with a blade that has issues (warp, bad grind, chip, etc...). I have several razors, so I can go a while before I need to get out the stone and do any maintenance. I usually wait until I have a few to do and then spend anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes per blade pending condition. Once you find a set-up you like you shouldn't have to spend much time keeping your edge fresh. Just remember some synthetic stones recommend you soak them for a certain amount of time before you use them. Do a little research on the pros & cons on the type of system your interested in (natural or synthetic stones, films etc. etc...).

I have six razors that I use in a six day rotation. Typically I need to hone these every six to seven months; this works out to 25 to 30 shaves per razor between honings. It typically takes me about an hour to hone all six, so ten minuts per razor.

I spend a few minutes once a week touching up an edge on a coticule with water, fairly minimal maintenance and it keeps the edge plenty sharp and smooth enough. It's takes a while to get to grips with the process but once you have it nailed it's no inconvenience

Thanks guys! Seems like its not that time consuming after all unless you have a chip or other flaw on the blade. Whippeddog here I come!

Top Bottom