What's new

DE shaving vs electric shaving review.

So anyway I used to de shave a few years ago then wanted to try out electric for awhile and I have to say that shaving with a de razor shaves closer. My routine is wtg/atg/xtg. I lather up my face just twice though for wtg and atg when I get to xtg I use no soap or cream, I just have to go across the grain on my neck in a couple of places and I get a super close shave in all directions. I used the Proraso soap green, Merkur 34c and a Simpson chubby 2 synthetic.

You will always get a closer shave with a DE razor than an electric shaver. Because the shaver has a moving blade driven by an electric motor, the skin has to be protected from direct contact by the moving blade. There are various head designs for electric razors, but all of them will have a thin screen. Some shavers claim that one blade pulls the hair upward and the next blade cuts it off below the level of the skin, but I have never found that to be the case. I have a fast-growing beard. If I shave with an electric shaver in the morning, I will need to shave again in the evening if I am going out. With straight razor, DE razor, or SE razor, I can shave close enough to last until the next morning.

DE and wet shaving can make the skin oily, because you are cutting the hair in the hair follicle closer to the level of the skin and the skin glands respond to this by excreting more sebum as opposed to shaving with an electric razor

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker did a review of the Panasonic Arc 5 and it seemed that it's performance definitely rivaled that of a DE shave.

To add credence to his results, I just bought a Arc 5, used it last night and my face is as smooth if not smoother than my DE shaves and was faster without any irritation or cuts.

I last used an electric razor 10+ years ago and modern options' performance is impressive enough to where I'll likely relegate most of my DE shaving to when I can more fully enjoy that unique ritual.

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker did a review of the Panasonic Arc 5 and it seemed that it's performance definitely rivaled that of a DE shave.

To add credence to his results, I just bought a Arc 5, used it last night and my face is as smooth if not smoother than my DE shaves and was faster without any irritation or cuts.

I last used an electric razor 10+ years ago and modern options' performance is impressive enough to where I'll likely relegate most of my DE shaving to when I can more fully enjoy that unique ritual.
That's the problem, electrics give no enjoyment. I used them for almost 3 decades!
The Panasonic's have gotten to the point of almost being as close and they're convenient & fast.
But they're boring!
Still use mine for trimming though and sometimes do take a small Norelco when traveling.
The one big thing that wet shaving took care of was ingrown hairs. Electrics are notoriously known for that!
I dealt with that for years till wet shaving! No ingrown hairs ever again!

I bought the electric shaver explicitly for the purpose of convenience. The enjoyment of that is in the result of not looking or feeling like a dirt bag when I can't muster the time or energy to break out the more joyful wet shaving paraphernalia. If anything, the electric will make the use of the wet shaving gear more special.

To add credence to his results, I just bought an Arc 5, used it last night and my face is as smooth if not smoother than my DE shaves and was faster without any irritation or cuts.
I would guess you are in a minority. I used a variety of electrics over the years. Shavers with all our many skin conditions and different hair growths. Challenging for any shave method, to please all. Six months ago I replaced both my trimmer and electric razor. I have never been able to shave my neck skin without irritation using any electric or a cart. I use a trimmer only on neck hair. When physically unable to use DE effectively. I’m glad I have backup electrics. They are quick to remove hair. Close and comfortable.being. A very long ways off from my Fixed Four DE Kit.

IMG_0344.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

I last used an electric razor 10+ years ago and modern options' performance is impressive enough to where I'll likely relegate most of my DE shaving to when I can more fully enjoy that unique ritual

DE learning curve much steeper and longer than electrics for sure. More paraphernalia by far. Fantastic scents from soaps and creams. DE shavers expand exponentially in the many products to support their shaves. More effort and time resulting in closer and comfortable shaves. It can be a quick shave if need be, albeit slower than electric. I have practiced and elevated my DE shaves into a high comfortable, luxurious shave. Something I could not do with electrics.

IMG_0388.jpeg

Enjoy your shaves, with or without juice.

I've bought a number of electric razors over the decades, each time seduced by claims they were much better than they had been previously and with the hope I was acquiring something which would give me a decent shave when I was in a hurry. None of them gave as close and comfortable a shave as a cart razor, let alone a DE, SE or straight.
Now when time is short I use a cart (usually a Mach3) and a cream such as Cremo. Because of the improvement in my technique over the years find this provides a good shave in just a few minutes.

I have 2 arc 5 razors. Using them with pre-shave, shave soap, or just dry, never cuts as close as wet shaves, nor is it enjoyable. I guess it has its place for those that run and done.

I use the Panasonic ES-RS10 as well the Braun MobileShave M90 and find the Panasonic is good for 1 day to 2 day old shaves. As for the Braun I find using it 2 times in a single day works well as long as you don’t use much pressure as well find if you use the Braun any longer than a day let’s say 2 days doesn’t perform well.

I've never been able to equal a wet shave with an electric. When I was inexperienced with de shaving the electric was more on par. But currently I wash my face with hot water and martin de candre bar soap a few times, wash my face with hot water for 3-5 min, then use martin de candre soap and with my super slant I've finally after 5 years of striving for it figured out a perfect formula for a shave that I can just barely feel. Like 95% of my face, even the goattee and mustache is like wiping the hairs off. A feeling that is simply impossible with a rotary or foil. There will always be a little friction and an occasional pull by virtue of how many holes and spaces there are for hair to get caught in or on

I use a Remington on the road since it's the only thing besides cartridges that can get past TSA. Close enough, quick, and never had much irritation. Straight razor when I get home.

Top Bottom