What's new

DE Shaver Interview - Quietearth

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Here we go folks! Introducing Quietearth aka Steve. A great interview from a new DE shaver. Enjoy!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is Steve prior to finding B&B, imagine how happy he is now.
$photo.jpg

◦ Who are you?

My name is Steve. I live and work (for the government) in Queensland, Australia. I’ve been married before, but a fat lot of good that did me. I’m currently single but appear to have less and less time to devote to the mysterious art of women.

One of the main reasons for this is my artistic endeavours. I do a lot of acting and directing in community (or “amateur”) theatre. As of typing the answers to this question, I am involved in the following:

1. Performing in a production of “Twelve Angry Men”;
2. In pre-production for a radio-on-stage version of “It’s A Wonderful Life” that I am directing;
3. Just finished auditioning for the musical “The Full Monty”;
4. Writing a play about a celebrity rumpologist;
5. In discussions to direct another play next year with the same company;

So as you can see I do a lot of work (not to mention my day job!) which tends to keep me pretty busy. Acting, writing and directing has been a long time passion of mine, and while I have never worked professionally, it is one of the things in my life that gives me a great deal of satisfaction. I also see it as a small way of giving back to the community. My day job is simply what pays the bills and allows me to be able to do the other stuff.

Last year I found a really nice local theatre company where I performed in one show. By the end of this year, I will have performed in 2 more shows, and directed one other. I feel like I am slowly beginning to find a home with this company, which is a nice feeling.

Another of my passions is perfume. A housemate of mine about 5 or 6 years ago gave me a sampler pack of Calvin Klein fragrances for Christmas, and my interest and knowledge has grown exponentially from there. At a rough guess, I would say I have around 70 bottles, about another 20 or so decants and a box full of samples and half full testers. A few years ago I also started experimenting with making my own fragrances, but it’s a very expensive hobby and that didn’t last too long!

Now, my new obsession is shaving. Even just 2 months ago, if someone had told me I would now be getting up earlier to shave more than 2 or 3 times a week, I would have laughed until I stopped. While I do have some rest days, generally I look forward every day to shaving now. I can see that it will be a new obsession that will be with me for many years to come. Luckily, it also fits in very well with my fragrance interests, as I love to smell good.

◦ Where are you located?

I am in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

◦ Do you have a particular coffee you enjoy? or what wakes you up in the morning?

I don’t have a particular coffee that I enjoy, but I do like my morning coffee. Other than the fact that they keep paying me, it’s one of the few reasons why I keep going to work.

◦ How did you get in to wet shaving?

My story is similar to many folk at B&B. I got sick of my skin feeling and looking like crap, and wanted to find something better. I used to shave exclusively at night, to allow the skin to heal and the bleeding to stop. I also used to shave only against the grain. I guess eventually my research landed me at B&B. I lurked for a few weeks, but was actually pretty quick at signing up.

A guy I spoke to in a razor shop here in town suggested that I do some “remedial” shaving with a good cartridge razor for a few weeks, to help get my skin to a better place before thinking about DEs. One of the guys on B&B said “why wait?” He was right of course, and I have never looked back.

◦ What was it that held your interest?

Things I love about DE shaving:

1. It’s a skill that I am teaching myself;
2. The smells;
3. The luxurious ritual of it; and
4. A sense of tradition and old-fashioned values.

◦ When you sign on, what is the first page/forum you go to?

I usually start with the Newbie Clinic (I’m still only up to about shave number 26, so I still consider myself a newbie), followed by the General Shaving Discussion, then Double Edge razors. Depending on where my research leads me, I might also check out the Brushes, Soaps and Creams forums.

So, I guess that’s everything, really….

◦ Shave Cream & Soaps. Which do you prefer and what is your method for producing lather?

Being a newb, I have yet to decide which is best for me, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I am marginally better at soaps. To put it another way, I get better results in general when I use my soaps. In terms of lathering, I started with a bowl because that’s how I thought it was done. My last few weeks I have been exclusively face lathering. I think I’m going to stick with the face lathering.

◦ What has been the best advice you’ve gotten from a member at B&B

Take your time, no pressure and enjoy.

◦ If you could give one piece of advice to someone new at this, what would it be?
Take your time, no pressure and enjoy.

◦ What prompted you to begin keeping a shave journal?

I saw other members’ journals, and I liked the idea of keeping a track of one’s performance. It is also another relatively creative way of expressing myself.

◦ Do you reference your shave journal at all?

Almost every day, I think it’s a great tool on many levels.

* How do you think keeping a shave journal has helped you?

I like to look back and see what combination of products gave me a good shave, and I like being able to track my progress.

◦ Do you keep a journal for any other hobbies? or perhaps a daily journal?

The only other kind of journal that I sometimes keep is of creative projects that I am working on. Again, it’s a great tool to keep track of what worked or not, and daily progress. For example, if I’m writing or directing, it’s a great tool for seeing how the process of putting something together worked. If I’m acting, it’s an interesting way of looking at how rehearsals were structured and progressed. It’s more of an informal/personal thing than anything else.

◦ Do you jot down notes while you are shaving or pull from your memory of the shave to fill out your journal?

I pull it from my memory, either when I get to work on a weekday or after breakfast on a weekend.

Do you have any final thoughts you’d like to share with the membership of B&B?

Apart from being one of the greatest websites I have found, B&B would have to be, in my opinion, one of the most incredible repositories of shaving information and resources in the world. Not only that, it’s populated by some really nice people. I have been met with nothing but warm, welcoming and generous guys and girls. I only hope that one day I can contribute and help someone who is in my position now. This is where the PIF concept shines at B&B. Someone who has “been there and done that” can then help someone else. After all, that’s what it’s all about really, isn’t it?

To find Quietearth's Shave Journal click here

Last edited:
Hi Steve,nice to meet you. 12 Angry Men is in my top 5 favorite films ever.It left an impression that has lasted a lifetime. Enjoy your shaves!

Hi coolbus18. It is a great film. When I heard this company was doing this show, I brought the film and read the play. They were both totally gripping. Our production is pretty good, but I am biased of course. I really enjoy the chemistry of us 12 blokes.

This year has actually turned into something of a series of classics - I've already been in a production of Wait Until Dark (there was a film made in the late 60's with Audrey Hepburn); now Twelve Angry Men, and coming soon: The Full Monty and It's A Wonderful Life!

Hopefully next year I can slow down a little and concentrate on my shaving, perhaps...?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What a great interview Steve gave us! Thank you once again!

Well said!

Positively a great idea to interview those who are keeping shave journals-I look forward to reading the rest of the interviews.

marty

Top Bottom