What's new

Dallas, Texas Update

I needed a haircut and stopped by "King Barber" on coit between arapaho and beltline. Its a great place, it looks, feels, smells, and sounds like a good old barbershop. They had a few lucky tiger products, some brushes, as well as some aftershaves they make their in the shop. I cant speak for all the aftershaves, but the one I tried was excellent. I dont remember the name of it off the top of my head, clovis or something like that.

I had the benefit of getting my hair cut by the owner himself and we talked wet shaving for the majority of the time. Conversation was pleasant and the hair cut excellent. It came with a free head massage and neck shave with a straight. He uses an injector style straight for sanitary purposes, but the neck shave was nice. I need to go back and get a full straight shave sometime.

All in all, I definatly suggest it for anyone who needs a haircut or is interested in a few odd shaving items.

King is a nice guy and is genuinely interested in shaving and talking about same. And as always, he is the best place in town to get the old school Lucky Tiger stuff.

In case I did not mention it in more detail LAFCO (the distributor for Claus Porto, Musgo Real, Lorenzo Villoresi, and Santa Maria Novella) have opened a shop in the Highland Park Village.

ALL of the SMN range. They even have the 5 or 6 after-shave splashes (the patchouli rules).

They were very generous with samples of the fragrances and the pre/post. If you can do the Village "thing" it is worth a stop.

McShannon, how many barbers were working? I was looking at his website the other day and where there once was two barbers profiled, it now shows only "David".

Your experience just warmed my desire to give their services a try. I just can't figure out how to explain my "absence" to my current barber. :redface:

theperfectstorm, always appreciate your ongoing efforts to keep those of us in the Metromess up to date on available shaving resources. :thumbup:

There were 3 barbers working when I went in at 2:00 on a friday. Apparently they take appointments till 4 and then its walkups. I got there and there was only one barber in at the moment, but within 5 minutes the others headed in, im assuming it got slow and they went to lunch.

There's a high end barber shop in Southlake Town Square called the Boardroom. They also sell AOS and some other products. Also in Town Sq is L'Occitane.

Bollywood Grocery in Richardson (just off the NW corner of Belt Line @ Central Expressway) has 70 g Palmolive Menthol Cool SC for $2.49, and 70 g (+28 g free) Dettol Fresh Fragrance SC for $3.99 (both creams made in India). They had some boxes of another Palmolive SC, but they looked like they had been there a while so I didn't buy any. They also have a good restaurant.

Edit: Made sample lathers with both. The Dettol smells fine (a little artificial, but ok), but the Palmolive smells like cigarette butts - and not in a good way. I think it was just way too old. At least it was the cheaper of the two.

Tajmahal Imports in Richardson (in the shopping center at the SW corner of Belt Line @ Central Expressway) has a shaving alum block (credit card sized, about 3/4" thick) for $1.99. No other shaving stuff though. :frown:

There's another grocery near Bollywood, Patel Brothers, but I didn't get a chance to check there today.

Last edited:
Bobtrumpet, we have traveled that intersection countless times, but never thought to investigate for shaving supplies.
Thanks for the footwork!

Thanks for this thread. The only downside is that the places that carried the various T's have dropped 'em since the first post was written.

Does anyone in the greater DFW area carry Trumper's these days

thanks,
Mike

Thanks for this thread. The only downside is that the places that carried the various T's have dropped 'em since the first post was written.

Does anyone in the greater DFW area carry Trumper's these days

thanks,
Mike

No. Not since Tiecoon closed.

Has anybody found anything of note in the Plano/Frisco area.

I've been to the C&E @ Willow Bend (tiny little shop huh?), and the Nordstroms in Stonebriar Center has a respectable shaving section (AOS, Jack Black, etc). There's also a Bath & Body Works and a Body Shop on the 1st floor of Stonebriar Center.

Next time I'm down @ Willow Bend, I'll have to poke my head in that cutlery store. You'd think in a city as big as D/FW we'd have some source of higher end shaving stuff, like, oh I don't know, Rooney brushes?

Dormous

The cutlery store in Willow Bend usually has some Col Conk soaps, and occasionally they will have a Merkur DE or two.

I am a knife guy, so I tend to spend way too much time in that store anyways, but it is worth checking out for a few peices of shaving gear.

Hey, Dallas folks ... I'm looking to abandon my usual hair cut joints -- Great Clips et al -- and find a real barber.

I see the posts on King Barber, and found something on a place up in Frisco (with a $45 haircut!). Anyone have other recommendations for traditional barbers?

Watching that video on the Irish barber shop someone posted a week or so ago got me interested in going back to the old-style shop, with a barber who gets to know you and what you want and is adept at doing more than pulling out the electric clippers to cut hair.

thnx,
Mike

There's a little shop named B&B Barbers in the 2000 block of E Arapaho in Richardson - north side of the street, just west of Jupiter.

Mr. The (pronounced "Tea") gives a great scissor cut, a neck shave (with a disposable straight), AND a pretty comprehensive massage (head, neck and shoulders, arms, legs) for a posted price of about $15. I'm a little unsure of the actual price, since I always include a well-deserved substantial tip.

Hey, thanks for those two suggestions. I appreciate it. The prices at King seam reasonable, too. As for spending $45, well, no barber is going to make me look that good.

How often do folks go to the barber these days? I'd gotten in the habit of going every couple of months, when I was really shaggy. But now that I have a reasonably close shave, I figure I ought to be well groomed in other ways, too ...

Is the $45 barber shop in Frisco called The Gents Place? If so, their cuts actually start at $35, and if you keep an eye on their blog you can grab a giftcard a 20% discount a couple times a year. It's still a bit on the pricier side, but my wife likes the cut the master barber (Von) has been giving me so I'm pretty happy there.

Yep, that's it. I guess I tuned into the "five course" ... nice to get a positive review. Now, how often should I plan to go to remain reasonably neat and trim. Once a month too long?

Top Bottom