What's new

D.I.Y corner show me your creations

Here's a couple of pics of an oak stand I made when I first got into this a few months ago. I thought I absolutely positively without a doubt needed something exactly like this. Other bowls fit better into the arc, but that pyrex bowl was my go-to until I got my Captain's Choice bowl. Funny, how things change... Now I just neatly place my blade and brush in the CC gunmetal lather bowl and that's it.

$Oak shave brush shaving stand barber pole.jpg$Oak shave stand shaving brush razor holder 1.jpg

Newbie here!

I wanted a simple and functional stand for my new razor and brush. A trip to the basement yielded a chromed ironing board bracket I had tossed in a junk box 20 years ago. It was pre-bent in a "V" shape. Two additional bends over the edge of a workbench yielded this not unattractive result. It works well and is rust-resistant.

I knew I'd use that bracket some day!

Better than a coat hanger, anyway...

$IMG_0568.jpg

Newbie here!

I wanted a simple and functional stand for my new razor and brush. A trip to the basement yielded a chromed ironing board bracket I had tossed in a junk box 20 years ago. It was pre-bent in a "V" shape. Two additional bends over the edge of a workbench yielded this not unattractive result. It works well and is rust-resistant.

I knew I'd use that bracket some day!

Better than a coat hanger, anyway...

View attachment 607341

Very smart! :thumbup1:

To make an easy system to hang my brush I got inspired by the magnetic soap holder that my grandmother used to keep the soap bars high and dry. You press a metal cap (from a beer bottle) deep into the soap bar and hang it on a magnet.

For the same effect I glued a small flat metal washer on the bottom of my brush (plastic handle, but I assume you can do with wooden as well). Our cabinet above the sink is of metal construction so the magnet just stays put and I didn't have to glue it on and I can move it around as I wish. Very practical. :biggrin1:

$Brush magnetic holder (1).jpg$Brush magnetic holder (2).jpg$Brush magnetic holder (3).jpg$Brush magnetic holder (5).jpg$Brush magnetic holder (6).jpg

Prototype made out of scrap aluminium:

$IMG_0606.jpg

Then I drew a more compact version of it in Autocad and cut it out of Plexiglass with a lasercutter. Afterwards I applied the curves with a bending table for plexiglass.

$IMG_0787.jpg$IMG_0788.jpg

The fact that you have tools to do that makes me very jealous....

Great job btw :)

I've got access to a lasercutter and bending table at school :) but maybe there is some kind of workshop that's open to the public in your area. Here in Belgium you can find one in every big city. They often have CNC routers and lasercutters for almost no money :)
I realized this project for 2 euros (1,50 for the material and 0,50 for laser cutting time)

I've got access to a lasercutter and bending table at school :) but maybe there is some kind of workshop that's open to the public in your area. Here in Belgium you can find one in every big city. They often have CNC routers and lasercutters for almost no money :)
I realized this project for 2 euros (1,50 for the material and 0,50 for laser cutting time)
I haven't even thought of that. I might have to start looking around and see what I can find [emoji2]

I recently bought an Omega brush and a Feather Popular razor. While the Feather came with its own case, I needed something for the Omega. And finally, the velcro i had been saving from a newspaper ad insert came to be used. I cut a smaller circle of the fuzzy part of the velcro for the brush and kept the bristly part for the underside of the glass shelf. I used Araldite Clear Instant glue for this job as it comes off with a bit of coaxing and without damaging the brush bottom. This might be the cheapest hack ever. You see, even the Velcro was recycled!

$photo 4.jpg$photo 2.jpg$photo 3.jpg

Attachments

• $photo 1.jpg
    $photo 1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 230
I think this is the best thread I have ever come across on the Internet, let alone just B&B. Some of the work produced here is truly outstanding and very inspirational - it has me itching to get out to the workshop and see what I can produce. What I wouldn't give for a full set of decent tools.

Well done gentlemen, I'm in awe of your crafty thoughts and skills.

Top Bottom