What's new

Cut Throat Razor

Is it just me or does anyone else hate that therm. I have never cut my throat with one or heard of anyone doing so. What is wrong with "straight razor"?

Most people I speak to don't know what I mean by straight razor.
They do understand cut throat though.

Maybe it's just my accent.

the term "Cut throat" tends to be more European when referring to a straight. And although it DOES sound more bad *** usually find myself saying straight unless i am pulling a Sweeney Todd at my barber shop above a meat pie store! :scared: ;)

proxy.php

We totally agree.

Seems a rather inaccurate term but possibly humorous to those who don't participate in straight shaving. I don't care for the term either, FWIW, but seems to be a mostly European term.

Most people I speak to don't know what I mean by straight razor.
They do understand cut throat though.

Maybe it's just my accent.

I agree with this. It seems that down under (whether NZ or Australia) the term used is cut throat. Not sure about the UK, but given that NZ and Australia are British colonies, perhaps we got it from the Brits.

I don't mind either term, but YMMV!

I have never heard that term until today. I did some research on it, and it is a British term - like they say aerial and in the US it is antenna.

I would never say it except that I feel better knowing that it is from a country rather than just some yokel term.

I don't mind the term...it certainly makes me feel like more of a bada$$ when I tell people I shave with a "cut throat" razor...their eyes light up more than if I say I shave with a straight (I think in the US saying "straight" implies shavette whereas people know exactly what cut throat means). I digress the one reason I don't like the term Cut Throat is that is seems to take away from the art of making a straight razor and its very refined beauty. Just my thoughts.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Therms are good if I have enough of them to keep me warm in the winter. Therns, on the other hand, well .... them I can do without. :tongue_sm

The term itself does not have much of an impact on me and as others have said, I think it is a regional thing, mostly used in the UK and Commonwealth countries I think. I have also heard of them being called "Open razors" and again, I think that is regional term (but I cannot remember where I heard it....?).

Brian

Is it just me or does anyone else hate that therm. I have never cut my throat with one or heard of anyone doing so. What is wrong with "straight razor"?

when im looking at the bay if they have cut throught instead of straight razor, I do not bid on it, I keep going thats bad carma i think..

Top Bottom