What's new

Critter Pics.

I sat on the bank of a nearby creek taking pictures of this guy as he paddled back and forth. He must be someones pet because he hopped up on the bank and waddled up to me as I sat there. He was so close I could’ve reached out and touched him.

EE08A138-DDCD-424D-84C5-300E3AFA2165.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Out shoveling the drive way last winter, it was a warm day and look who comes trotting down the road, came to salt lick on the road and the moose knelt down for some water and salt I witnessed. Made my day, luckily I had my cell phone for a quick picture of it to share with.
Photo of the day.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Those are the kittens. Mom was ahead, crossing the driveway at the house next door:
View attachment 1555732

That one looks quite a bit smaller than the stocky Tom here (you can note details real well when they are about six feet away with nothing but air between you).

It's about the time of year I can use the bobcat in heat call on the caller.

I am at war.

A few of the critters on the farm - South West of WA.
ARNY.jpg

Called him "Arnie" - he was the Alpha male for a few years, an absolute beast of a Roo.

possum.JPG

Have a resident family of Possums, most can be hand fed and petted.

HONNEYEATERS.jpg

Honey Eaters, feed these fella's with honey water and they will let you know when its run out by swooping you.

cloe&joey.JPG

My favorite old girl "Cloey", she passed away a while ago, she was completely domesticated and would visit everyday for a pat and of course, a feed.

100_0357.JPG

Plenty of Bobtails around in summer, they make great pets.

Picture_0019.JPG

Me old mate Rosco, unfortunately he is no longer roaming the paddocks.

Picture_0012.JPG

Gotta have a couple of Alpaca's, their wool is excellent, really warm.

SergeantAntCrop.JPG

By far my least favorite critter - These Sargeant Ants grow to about 2 inches long, are extremely aggressive and their bite is so much worse than their bark.

baron2.psd.jpg

The hound.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A few of the critters on the farm - South West of WA.
View attachment 1602946
Called him "Arnie" - he was the Alpha male for a few years, an absolute beast of a Roo.

View attachment 1602947
Have a resident family of Possums, most can be hand fed and petted.

View attachment 1602948
Honey Eaters, feed these fella's with honey water and they will let you know when its run out by swooping you.

View attachment 1602949
My favorite old girl "Cloey", she passed away a while ago, she was completely domesticated and would visit everyday for a pat and of course, a feed.

View attachment 1602950
Plenty of Bobtails around in summer, they make great pets.

View attachment 1602951
Me old mate Rosco, unfortunately he is no longer roaming the paddocks.

View attachment 1602952
Gotta have a couple of Alpaca's, their wool is excellent, really warm.

View attachment 1602953
By far my least favorite critter - These Sargeant Ants grow to about 2 inches long, are extremely aggressive and their bite is so much worse than their bark.

View attachment 1602954
The hound.

Wow! Thanks for sharing – so exotic to us here in gator country!

Man, those ants seem like misery. Our fire ants can leave scars, but they're tiny!

AA

In 2010, a pair of Hawks, very well could be Cooper’s Hawks, please correct me if I’m wrong… acipitor hawks here in Denver look so much alike… they built a large nest high up on the silver maple across from the house. Had the opportunity to watch them nest together, hunt, raise three youngsters. They fed them, taught them to hunt, killed off many of the squirrels and birds in the neighborhood. During the late summer months when the youngsters were beginning to get their wings and exercise, we used to pull out lounge camp chairs on the driveway and sidewalk in the early evening and watch the hawks in action. Truly incredible and up close. It’s like they got used to me and the family and they didn’t fear us, so to speak. Here’s one of the adults up close in the backyard having just been eating their lunch.

318FA297-D974-4284-8E9B-A7379606208E.jpegEE1D663C-65F9-4607-AA49-4F00E4C3D8C0.jpeg

In 2010, a pair of Hawks, very well could be Cooper’s Hawks, please correct me if I’m wrong… acipitor hawks here in Denver look so much alike… they built a large nest high up on the silver maple across from the house. Had the opportunity to watch them nest together, hunt, raise three youngsters. They fed them, taught them to hunt, killed off many of the squirrels and birds in the neighborhood. During the late summer months when the youngsters were beginning to get their wings and exercise, we used to pull out lounge camp chairs on the driveway and sidewalk in the early evening and watch the hawks in action. Truly incredible and up close. It’s like they got used to me and the family and they didn’t fear us, so to speak. Here’s one of the adults up close in the backyard having just been eating their lunch.

View attachment 1615668View attachment 1615669

I would guess you're right about Cooper's
and I would use your behavioral description as part of that.

The accipiter most closely resembling the Copper
is the Sharp Shinned.

The Sharp Shinned is known for hunting away from the nest
saving its own neighborhood as an emergency larder.

Was in Boise for work this week and some Boise State raptor biologists took us out to their Burrowing Owl research site. Was very cool!

Attachments

• 4875447C-3C22-417D-98DC-F9D303A2F874.jpeg
    4875447C-3C22-417D-98DC-F9D303A2F874.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • BB821D92-317B-48F2-94D0-2ABD5931293F.jpeg
    BB821D92-317B-48F2-94D0-2ABD5931293F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Top Bottom