What's new

Cremo Shave Cream

Decent, low priced shaving cream. I've only used the red and it works well if you follow the instruction on the tube (prep face with hottest water you can stand and massage a small amount in). It's slick but doesn't have much cushion as someone mentioned earlier in this thread. For this reason, I think it would work well with a straight. I've also lathered it with a brush (you can do it), but it's not designed for this.

For those of you that like a bit of a frozen face, I will suggest you try out my combination from this morning.

Cremo Cooling Cream + C.O. Bigelow, bowl lathered

It was slick, very creamy, and was quite a healthy shot of menthol.

For those of you that like a bit of a frozen face, I will suggest you try out my combination from this morning.

Cremo Cooling Cream + C.O. Bigelow, bowl lathered

It was slick, very creamy, and was quite a healthy shot of menthol.
Hmm, might have to try that. Thx for the tip!

I bought some at my local CVS the other day, thinking you could lather it with a brush. I ended up using it, even though it's brushless, but I applied mine with a brush for the heck of it. I worked the water into my lather, so I guess it was an impromptu face lather, giving me a really slick layer of soap. In fact, it kept getting on my razor handle and I had to rinse it off since my Fatip Grande doesn't have any knurling. It seemed all right, but I messed up by trying to push too many shaves out of my blade, so I need to give it another try. The industrial cleaner scent was a little weird, but it still smells better to me than Col. Conk Lime.

Last edited:
For me, it's very slick but I feel the razor scraping across my skin as it doesn't produce much cushion.

Cremo Cream is actually the product that started my down this rabbit hole.

On impulse I bought some thinking that it would be nice to find a product that gave my a more comfortable shave than Edge shave gel. I looked online for some reviews and stumbled across B&B and now here I am, a convert to the world of artisan soaps, quality brushes, DE and straight razors.

Exact same story for me! Bought it in April. Started loving shaving. Then I jumped on the DE/SE train in July and haven't looked back. Cooling is a great product.
Steve

How about using Cremo as a base layer underneath a good lather?

The first time I used Cremo (Cooling), I was unimpressed. Very slippery, I loved the menthol, and I was surprised how good the shave was afterward. But it was too thin. What bugged me the most was that I couldn't see where I'd already shaved. You know that satisfying feeling when you are mowing your lawn, and you can see the part you've already mowed? Well, I was missing that satisfaction with Cremo, and I got confused about where I had already shaved and where I had not.

But I wonder whether its good properties might be put to use: spread a dab around the face before applying the usual lather. Like a pre-shave oil. I've got a whole tube of the stuff, and I'm not going to throw $5.99 in the garbage. But it looks too thin to use as spackle on my drywall.

I like Cremo. It's very slick and has a nice, light citrus scent. Not much cushion, but lots of glide. Good post-shave feel, too. It's also great as a pre-shave or when combined with a soap.

I agree. I was really disappointed with the slickness. Nice history I guess but very over rated in my book.

I like Cremo as as additive more than on its own.
Same here. I always put a small dab of it in my scuttle and mix it with my soap.

I use van der hagen soap because it's cheap and easily accessible at wal mart, but it's not incredibly slick. And since the cremo doesn't have a whole lot of cushion, I use them together. Sometimes I'll use the cremo as a preshave too. I'll smear on a thin layer of it right after I wet my face with hot water.

I never tried the version with menthol, just original, and one that says "moisturizing" on it. It's with the women's shaving stuff, and it has a kinda girly mango coconut scent, but I wanted to try something different, and I've never been a fan of menthol on the skin. It seems to be a little better on my skin, so I guess it actually is moisturizing. I don't mind the scent, it's actually kinda nice, and it'll be gone once I put on my aftershave lotion anyway.

Last edited:
I really like Cremo original. Very slick & fairly neutral smelling. Haven't tried the blue yet but will soon. With the Cremo you have to follow the directions as it is water activated. I was so impressed I picked up some Women's Mango Coconut Cremo for my wife. She said it was good, but washes away fairly easy & had to reapply before shaving legs was completed. My daughter adopted the bottle & absolutely loves it.

Top Bottom