What's new

Cream vs soap

So I've not tried any lather creams yet, though I did try Cremo and didn't much like it. I've used a small fistful of soaps, including Arko, Tabac, TOBS, Wholly Kaw, and Murphy and McNeil.

Some years ago, I had read a commentary on wetshaving that placed creams specifically above soaps as a luxury shaving good that was superior but more expensive to use.

Is that the case? The lather I am getting from the soaps I like seems pretty hard to beat at this point, and there seems to be a dearth of artisan made creams that analogize to the modern artisan soaps. Was this just the semi-informed opinion of one writer over a decade ago, or is there really something I am missing in the better creams?

Regular supermarket creams like Nivea and Palmolive lather as good as anything I've tried. But they aren't very cool looking like a ceramic/wooden bowl with hard soap. Storing them is also messy.

I suspect that what you read several years ago was a comparison between creams and hard pucks. Because creams are generally easier to lather than hard pucks, performance was often rated more highly. Fast forward until today and you find there are a wide range of soaps from nearly as soft as creams up to triple mill hard soaps and everywhere in between. Many of the newer artisan soaps then to be relatively soft.

I have evaluated 42 different soap and cream bases and over 120 soaps. Two of the soaps you have tried (Wholly Kaw and Murphy and McNeil) reside among the elite soaps in my den. They are easy to load, easy to lather, have excellent primary and residual slickness, excellent cushion if properly hydrated, and provide wonderful post-shave moisturizing and conditioning.

There are certainly fans of the other soaps you have tried, but if you are looking for the properties I described, there are few soaps that provide a better shaving experience than the two I mentioned. However, since you are new, you will find that developing a great lather is both and art and a science. It is a skill to be mastered just as shaving is a skill.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I like using them both. I face lather soaps and bowl lather creams. I mainly use soaps on a work day and creams on off days or holidays. Many like one or the other, many are like me and like both. It’s purely what you personally prefer IMHO.

I prefer soaps to creams, but that’s my preference!

You should try some creams, soaps, croaps, etc. to see what makes you happy! :a14::a14:

Someone on the boards here in a different thread suggested putting a dollop of Cremo on top of a Williams shave puck and whipped it up together to generate a nice lather. I have yet to try it myself, but I intend to soon. Sounds like a good idea that would work to me anyway.

Someone on the boards here in a different thread suggested putting a dollop of Cremo on top of a Williams shave puck and whipped it up together to generate a nice lather. I have yet to try it myself, but I intend to soon. Sounds like a good idea that would work to me anyway.

Cremo is super slick and (it's been a long time since I've used it) I believe the post shave is competent at least. It should help improve the modern Williams. Certainly, worst case scenario, it doesn't work for you, but provides some fun trying. Lol.

One thing I remember, it tends to gunk up the razor (used to happen to me, at least on low-gap razors). Mixed, it shouldn't cause as much fuss.

Half the fun of this hobby is the variety and all of the experimenting you can do. Enjoy it. [emoji846]

Soaps and creams are just different. Plenty of good choices on both sides!

Also you may be aware, but sometimes people miss that Cremo is a non-lathering cream. If you want a quality cream that lathers and is loved by many, grab a tube of Proraso. For an artisan product, I am quite fond of the creams made by Captain's Choice.

Soaps and creams are just different. Plenty of good choices on both sides!

Also you may be aware, but sometimes people miss that Cremo is a non-lathering cream.

Cremo is sold as a brushless cream, designed to be applied with the fingertips. However, it can be used with a brush; that is my preferred way to use it. It certainly does not develop the same type of lather as a quality shaving soap, but it does create a lather. Since Cremo is advertized as water-activated, adding water using a brush makes it quite slick.

Cremo wasn't really for me. I tried both according to package directions, as well as trying with a brush. It worked OK, but I preferred even the basic soaps like Tabac over it.

So far, my (limited) experience has lined up with what I've read from the very experienced testers like @RayClem @BaylorGator, and @dfoulk - I found Arko and Tabac to be competent, TOBS hard soap was ok, I guess. Wholly Kaw Donkey milk and tallow was a notable upgrade from any of them, and so far M&M has blown even WK away.

I guess I'm hunting for the best shave I can find, given my water supply (which thankfully is nice and soft) my brushes, my facial chemistry, and my abilities to lather (which admittedly are still developing). I was just ruminating on how very nicely this super soft, almost cream soap works for me and I remembered reading somewhere that creams were a better option, so I decided to check in to see what the community has to say.

So I've not tried any lather creams yet, though I did try Cremo and didn't much like it. I've used a small fistful of soaps, including Arko, Tabac, TOBS, Wholly Kaw, and Murphy and McNeil.

Some years ago, I had read a commentary on wetshaving that placed creams specifically above soaps as a luxury shaving good that was superior but more expensive to use.

Is that the case? The lather I am getting from the soaps I like seems pretty hard to beat at this point, and there seems to be a dearth of artisan made creams that analogize to the modern artisan soaps. Was this just the semi-informed opinion of one writer over a decade ago, or is there really something I am missing in the better creams?

I haven't tried any creams to be honest but I have a pump bottle of shaving gel and to be honest I prefer plain old soap.

They store better, are more versatile and plan fun to lather with.

I suspect that what you read several years ago was a comparison between creams and hard pucks. Because creams are generally easier to lather than hard pucks, performance was often rated more highly. Fast forward until today and you find there are a wide range of soaps from nearly as soft as creams up to triple mill hard soaps and everywhere in between. Many of the newer artisan soaps then to be relatively soft.

I have evaluated 42 different soap and cream bases and over 120 soaps. Two of the soaps you have tried (Wholly Kaw and Murphy and McNeil) reside among the elite soaps in my den. They are easy to load, easy to lather, have excellent primary and residual slickness, excellent cushion if properly hydrated, and provide wonderful post-shave moisturizing and conditioning.

There are certainly fans of the other soaps you have tried, but if you are looking for the properties I described, there are few soaps that provide a better shaving experience than the two I mentioned. However, since you are new, you will find that developing a great lather is both and art and a science. It is a skill to be mastered just as shaving is a skill.

162 soaps... That's just crazy lol. Do you remember how they compare lol!?

Cremo wasn't really for me. I tried both according to package directions, as well as trying with a brush. It worked OK, but I preferred even the basic soaps like Tabac over it.

So far, my (limited) experience has lined up with what I've read from the very experienced testers like @RayClem @BaylorGator, and @dfoulk - I found Arko and Tabac to be competent, TOBS hard soap was ok, I guess. Wholly Kaw Donkey milk and tallow was a notable upgrade from any of them, and so far M&M has blown even WK away.

I guess I'm hunting for the best shave I can find, given my water supply (which thankfully is nice and soft) my brushes, my facial chemistry, and my abilities to lather (which admittedly are still developing). I was just ruminating on how very nicely this super soft, almost cream soap works for me and I remembered reading somewhere that creams were a better option, so I decided to check in to see what the community has to say.

I don't think anyone can say which is the better option as its a YMMV thing anyway. It all boils down to how you feel about it and no one else.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Top Bottom