What's new

Could someone recommend a good sample assortment?

I just went on Amazon to look for a DE blade sample pack.

wow, but there are a load of choices.

could someone point me in the best (or a good) direction?

Thanks!

You can usually detect a theme in sample packs. For example I recent bought a pack that was heavy on blades from the company Lord from Egypt. I picked this one because Lord blades usually aren't the sharpest available and I wanted to investigate mild to medium sharpness razor blades to go with an aggressive razor.

So you might think about what you're interested in. Maybe you want to try as many Gillettes as possible? Russian made blades? Treets from Pakistan? You get my drift I think. Knowing this helps you narrow down which sample packs to buy.

Pick some forum favorites after searching and reading.

Make sure to include these:
Astra Superior Platinum
Gillette 7 O Clock Yellows
Gillette Silver Blue
Feather
Nacet

Last edited:
I would suggest you avoid blades that are no longer made; no point getting hooked on blades that will soon be no longer available.

5 Blades I would now include in sample pack:

Feather from Japan…prerequisite for any sample pack
Personna from Germany…workhorse that can be purchased 200 at a time
Personna from USA…previously called ”lab blue” now called Accutec or Accuthrive or something
Tiger (or Tatra) from the Czech Republic…my personal favorite for smoothness
Wilkinson Swords from Germany…super common pharmacy blade loved by many (but not me!)

Build your own sampler with tucks from Razor Blade Club. The selection is huge. You don't have to buy junk blades that many sampler packs are filled with. If you buy 100 total blades or more, shipping is free, also. Otherwise, low cost shipping is around $2.

Make sure you buy more than one of each blade you are considering. Then, settle into a routine of trying different blades for several months. Keep notes, otherwise it's easy to lose track.

You can create your own sample pack in the razor blade club. Over 100 blades is free shipping, that way you don’t need to put up with the four tucks of Lords and four tucks of Sharks that sellers offer
Razor Blades Club is a fantastic recommendation. You can buy single blades, tucks of 5 or 10, or over 100 of a single brand of blade, if that's what you want. You can build yourself a nice blade sampler for a cheap price. If I was new to DE shaving, that's what I would do.

I would suggest you avoid blades that are no longer made; no point getting hooked on blades that will soon be no longer available.

5 Blades I would now include in sample pack:

Feather from Japan…prerequisite for any sample pack
Personna from Germany…workhorse that can be purchased 200 at a time
Personna from USA…previously called ”lab blue” now called Accutec or Accuthrive or something
Tiger (or Tatra) from the Czech Republic…my personal favorite for smoothness
Wilkinson Swords from Germany…super common pharmacy blade loved by many (but not me!)
Tiger is a good recommendation. I just acquired these recently. Good Czech blades.

Attachments

• IMG_20231107_100238944.jpg
    IMG_20231107_100238944.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Got this one off of Amazon recently. It was labeled “7Gs” implying they are all versions of Gillette blades from different countries, I suppose. All appear to be P&G brands at least. I’m looking forward to checking them out against the Feather Hi-Stainless blade currently in my DE89 razor. It seems a great way to find the absolutely best blade for my style of shaving.

Attachments

• IMG_4062.jpeg
    IMG_4062.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Got this one off of Amazon recently. It was labeled “7Gs” implying they are all versions of Gillette blades from different countries, I suppose. All appear to be P&G brands at least. I’m looking forward to checking them out against the Feather Hi-Stainless blade currently in my DE89 razor. It seems a great way to find the absolutely best blade for my style of shaving.

That's a good sample pack right there. 🙂👍

I've never used the "Goal" blades, but gotten many fine shaves from the rest of that bunch...those are all highly regarded blades...and a great starting (or ending) point.

Top Bottom