What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
This one cleaned up nicely but also showed how non-flat it is. Oh boy not at all. Big bow stem to stern, and an obvious hollow. Need to think carefully how to move forward.

But after sanding off the grease, it still reflects. Don’t see much or any obvious BBW, hard to tell if the bottom dark layer is rock or glue or both. It’s a bear to clean off, very gummy. Anyone had any luck stripping gorilla glue off?

Attachments

• IMG_6223.jpeg
    IMG_6223.jpeg
    949.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6226.jpeg
    IMG_6226.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6225.jpeg
    IMG_6225.jpeg
    962.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6228.jpeg
    IMG_6228.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
This one cleaned up nicely but also showed how non-flat it is. Oh boy not at all. Big bow stem to stern, and an obvious hollow. Need to think carefully how to move forward.

But after sanding off the grease, it still reflects. Don’t see much or any obvious BBW, hard to tell if the bottom dark layer is rock or glue or both. It’s a bear to clean off, very gummy. Anyone had any luck stripping gorilla glue off?
It's probably hide glue, use boiling water.

Often old stone putty kinda dissolves in SG / degreaser. Though it’s something I associate more with whiting, if yours is black then perhaps might not work. Worth a try perhaps…

Double post.

For the last week, I have been playing with modern Coticules using my Union Spike #4 in preparation for my trip to Belgium and France in May to visit my daughter (who lives in France next to the border with Belgium) and Ardennes-Coticule. Needless to say, I am pretty pumped. Have never been to Belgium or France.

I started the week with a hair-melting LV edge and then went to a LPB and a LG.

So far, the LV is stupid simple, and I had to work a little harder to get very good edges off the LPB and LG. I even tried oil on the LG. More to come.

The Union Spike on my 150 x 40 LV.

1710206435362.png

Oil on the LG natural combo. Got a very nice edge!

1710206457873.png

You have my address right ? LOL

Haha!

That’s definitely one I’m never letting go, probably in the 3 or 4 best cotis I’ve ever had. Can finish a razor, but tbh I save it for knives and polishing. Hopefully yours will be just as good!

(And from memory - I believe it’s another stone I have @rideon66 to thank for. I think he spotted it going for a nice price on a UK second-hand tool shop website, and flagged it to me :))

La Lorraine - Rouge du Salm

These stones are from the Lorraine layer of the original Coticule mines in the area around Salmchateau/Vielsalm in Belgium. They are not identically with the Belgian Blue Whetstones, but represent an own layer within the coticule quarries. Another name for the stones is Rouge du Salm.
From the qualities like honing speed and fineness they are somewhere in between between the BBW and the average Coticule.

Legion

Staff member

La Lorraine - Rouge du Salm

These stones are from the Lorraine layer of the original Coticule mines in the area around Salmchateau/Vielsalm in Belgium. They are not identically with the Belgian Blue Whetstones, but represent an own layer within the coticule quarries. Another name for the stones is Rouge du Salm.
From the qualities like honing speed and fineness they are somewhere in between between the BBW and the average Coticule.
Thanks, yes, that was what I was thinking of. Having a sample size of precisely one, and a small one at that, is it normal for them to be so soft? Like, quite a bit softer than an average BBW. Almost to the point it would limit its use as a whetstone, I would have thought.

Could the one on the little coticule I have be just intended to be a non functional backing, as most BB stone was back in the day?

Edit, adding a link to remind myself to read it once the kid is in bed and things settle down.

Thanks, yes, that was what I was thinking of. Having a sample size of precisely one, and a small one at that, is it normal for them to be so soft? Like, quite a bit softer than an average BBW. Almost to the point it would limit its use as a whetstone, I would have thought.

Could the one on the little coticule I have be just intended to be a non functional backing, as most BB stone was back in the day?

Edit, adding a link to remind myself to read it once the kid is in bed and things settle down.

I have never tried one. I think it was just a convenient option for a backing for the yellow side. It might be a good option as a bevel polisher. That was probably not common for western knifes when they were mined.

Almost to the point it would limit its use as a whetstone, I would have thought.
I had one and found it to be a fantastic stone. 1stone rated it from 4k to 6k - depending on slurry thickness, so I used it as an intermidiate between my 1000k synth bevel setter and La Lune. It worked very well. The stone was pretty thirsty though, had to pay attention to add enough water regularly or the slurry would dry out completely.
The wet surface did feel softer than a bbw to me, but I found it a very enjoyable stone to hone on. Mine wasnt glued to a yellow coti layer though.

Edit:
This was mine,I just cried seeing what I sold this + la lune + shapton glass 1 k for (75 euro's, please beat me)

Screenshot_20240323_121700.jpg

Last edited:
Sellers Pics.

I am perfectly happy with my current synthetic progression followed by 2 pasted strops.
My finishing paste is 0.25 micron so I'm not sure if I will like a Coticule finish. But I am Belgian, so I kind of feel I have to give this another try.
Not sure if there's any point in trying to identify the vain...but it's fun.

Any guesses?

Screenshot_20240323_122204.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240323_122137.jpg
    Screenshot_20240323_122137.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom