David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker

Attachments

• $IMG_8038.jpg
    $IMG_8038.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 111

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Thats an impressive Coti wall. It looks as if all are from the same vein, do you like them?
The two on top and the one on the bottom are absolutely spectacular stones. As good as they get IMO. Not sure about the veins but they share similar traits that I look for in a coticule.

First is one of those "How did I win this" coticules. 175x40mm coti... almost unused, very minor chip at end, Very exacting cut and perfect seam between glued layers (basically means this is a pike, Carbo, Salmen or similar high end boxed stone missing its labels/box) Threw a <$40 bid at it for kicks. And here it is. One ultra-faint blue streak that can only be seen wet away from being a Kosher-looking coticule (though I think being glued would disqualify it anyway).

Second, a piece from a lot I paid waaaaaaaaaay too much for. Still a beautiful boxed coti. Required a decent bit of resto work (it was a user stone for sure). I'm sure I've seen the box before. I think that woodworker who had the insane collections of coticules and eschers on Youtube has one in his video. Anyone else recognize the box and can find me a picture so I can see what it should look like without digging around to find that video?

Attachments

• $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 60
  • $3.jpg
    $3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 64
  • $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 60
That is a ttc 3309 coticule that was sold here in downtown nyc a thousand years ago. I had one. Ttc is still in business fwiw

I hated mine. In that short track of coti half was slow and the other half cut as ferociously as a coarse synth. It was so unprogreasive it was hopeless

That's it exactly. Thanks sir.

And that makes sense David. I wondered why the auction price went so insane (had an escher too, but the escher was somewhat hidden and auction ended for more than what the escher was worth). Someone bidding on possible escher + potential barbers pet explains it. I kept bidding just out of spite that I wasn't getting my "steal" Escher. It was a scary game. I can remember thinking: "AN ESCHER ISN'T EVEN WORTH THIS! WHY DO YOU KEEP BIDDING?!!!!" ... as I continued to bid against the other sniper fighting with me.

Mine seems uniform, thankfully. But I haven't gotten to run a razor over it yet. Had to glue it together, and I'm letting the glue cure before I try to use it. Hopefully it performs better than yours did. That's a shame when you get a vintage that probably shouldn't have passed QC. It doesn't happen often, but that makes it worse I suppose. From how thin the coti gets in that area it looks like maybe the slab ran into some "hybrid" with flaws/inclusions at the bottom of the coti layer... slipped through at the mine since they don't test both sides of the stone before gluing... and the original owner sold it (or put it away to be sold decades later by his grandkids) when it became obvious what was going on (after wearing his way through the good coti).

You should take yours into the shop and demand a replacement. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom