What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Didn't have much to go by from the auction pictures, but I took a gamble for 13 bucks plus shipping based on the cool shape and old paddle. Turns out to be a really nice stone, about 5.5 inches at its longest and with plenty of life left in it. I took it out of the paddle and saw that the bbw was actually a nice rouge du salm and perfectly flat. I lapped the coticule and remounted the stone into the paddle using some air-dry clay. Gave it a test run on slurry and it was quite fast. On water it was fairly audible but nice to hone on. It left a very nice edge on a razor that was tugging, and after stropping was certainly good enough for me to use. I want to get to know this stone as I really like how the shape gives some nice visual cues for x-strokes. I might clean up the wood and add some leather to the part of the handle that is slightly cut out, but for now I'll use it in all its rustic glory.

Before:
$s-l1600.jpg

After:
$IMG_4496.jpg$IMG_45002.jpg$IMG_4497.jpg$IMG_4498.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Jusy out of curiosity how do you identify RDS from normal BBW? I'd like to go through my stones and see if I have any with RDS.

Nice hone. I almost fought with you over it... but the big fat paddle made me think it could be just a foundstone, and I don't need another of those... so I passed on the gamble in the end. Congrats.

Nice hone. I almost fought with you over it... but the big fat paddle made me think it could be just a foundstone, and I don't need another of those... so I passed on the gamble in the end. Congrats.
Thanks! If it's any consolation, I was going to go up to a about 25 or so, I just really liked the shape. I'm pretty sure that both of us needed it like a hole in the head though. I have a real problem with intractable HAD.

I bought this rather small coticule yesterday. It measures 5" x 1.2". (Seller's picture)

$Coticule.jpg

I should be interested in opinions from you experts.

Thanks in advance

C.

I tried to ask questions about that one but the seller was not very helpful. Curious to see what you get once you prize it free

I bought this one today off the bay. I think it has been there for awhile but for way too much for a very embedded stone. The reduced price, the favorable exchange rate today plus a few questions the seller was very helpful about made it worth a punt to have a go with. 6 1/2x2 1/8 tapering to 1 1/2.

$s-l1600.jpg$s-l1600 (1).jpg$s-l1600 (2).jpg

I've seen that stone a couple of times before. Always thought that it was too expensive. Had I seen it at the reduced price I would probably have bought it. Can't wait to see what's hidden by the box.

I bought this one today off the bay. I think it has been there for awhile but for way too much for a very embedded stone. The reduced price, the favorable exchange rate today plus a few questions the seller was very helpful about made it worth a punt to have a go with. 6 1/2x2 1/8 tapering to 1 1/2.

View attachment 689868View attachment 689869View attachment 689870

Yes of course I looked at that one, but thought it a bit worn. However I know zero about coticules except that some folk hereabouts seem to think that they are A Good Thing. As for the one I have bought, well I just coughed up and am hoping for the best. I have no idea if it is any use, hence my question in my previous post. But given the staggering prices one has to pay for such stones I thought it might be worth a punt.

C.

Last edited:
I tried to ask questions about that one but the seller was not very helpful. Curious to see what you get once you prize it free

Ah! As I said I know zero about these. Am I supposed to prise it free or would it be better to leave well alone and not have a handful of small pebbles?

C.

Just leave it as it is. If the box becomes a problem you can always deal with it. And if it's not a problem well then no problem. I think it looks nice. Interesting pattern on it.

Just leave it as it is. If the box becomes a problem you can always deal with it. And if it's not a problem well then no problem. I think it looks nice. Interesting pattern on it.

Thanks for that. I have to say that it seems rather small - similar in fact to my budget!!!

C.

Thanks for that. I have to say that it seems rather small - similar in fact to my budget!!!

C.

Doesn't matter. My first two coticules were tiny. Maybe 5×1 or something like that. They worked just fine. I actually miss them. I gave both away to beginners. You'll get used to it fast.

Top Bottom