What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Thanks guys.

Just finished a Wosty on it. It turned black real fast on slurry. I removed some small chips in the bevel and got her shave ready pretty quick. This one has suprised me with speed. The guy I bought it from in Belgium said he had it for many years and thought it was from the around 20's.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Cool. Let us know how the shave is. You should feel a little difference between that edge and normal yellow coticule.

David I will let you know. Would it be any different than a usual hybrid side on a regular les lat combo? It sure acts different.
Should i seal this one just like a JNAT on the bottom and sides? Not used to a coti with skin, but i guess it has been fine for almost 100 years possibly.

David

If it has any lines or cracks in the sides or bottom that are taking in water I think I'd fill them with thin CA. Not sure sealing the entire sides and bottom is necessary, but it won't hurt anything.

Comparing hybrid color. This new bout is very silver with shiny almost crystal on side gap. Most I see are like my one from the mine. This one has a different feel while honing and even while rubbing with a slurry stone. It is like a mix if the LL side and a hybrid side with manganese.
$image.jpg$image.jpg

Cool. Let us know how the shave is. You should feel a little difference between that edge and normal yellow coticule.

Nice shave, but much crisper and keener I believe. Left my skin feeling great no other stone has given me this kind of edge. I will have to try with another razor and see if it duplicates it.

Have you had one this silver color before. Most are more a gray yellow cream coffee type?

David

Nice. Glad the shave went well. Sounds like you've got yourself a keeper.
No I've not tried one that had that look. I've had 8-10 Les Lats, most of which looked normal as far as hybrids go.
Are you using a regular coticule slurry stone to build a slurry on it?

Yeah I really like this one great size a little over 5" x 3 1/4" @ the widest 5" x 2 1/2" @narrowest.
For the heavy slurry grunt work I did use a normal slurry stone. Then switched to a strange hybrid slurry stone I got fromTSS it is swirly and in between this stone and a regular hybrid. It is to the left in the pic can't really see it but there is no normal LL coti side to the slurry stone. It produces a very light almost clear slurry takes a bit though. The slurry stone is one of the reasons I decided to check this stone out they just seemed like a match.

Comparing hybrid color. This new bout is very silver with shiny almost crystal on side gap. Most I see are like my one from the mine. This one has a different feel while honing and even while rubbing with a slurry stone. It is like a mix if the LL side and a hybrid side with manganese.
View attachment 657200View attachment 657201

What an absolutely beautiful hone!! Just stunning! I have missed a lot the last few days. I am doing battle with kidney stones.

David

Ugh. Kidney stones. I feel for you Brian. I get them a couple times a year and they're miserable. Hope you're better soon.

View attachment 657200View attachment 657201

Very beautiful stone! I have a similar stone - was a marked with an interesting named Llynn Idwal:

$Llyn Idwal Razor Hone.jpg

$Llyn Idwal Razor Hone Sharpening Oil Water Stone Natural.jpg

Purchased from a wonderful seller on the bay

I know. These people literally have stones coming out of them now. This is way more than HAD.
Sorry never HAD kidney stones. Probably not that funny sounds painful. Feel better soon.

On the other hand this stone is showing signs of being my Unicorn. Did a touch up on a razor last night using just the hybrid slurry almost could not see it. Haven't shaved with the second razor yet, but it seems to be extremely sharp. I don't do HHT really, but do test on my very fine blonde arm hair. Usually I have to get skin level to cut the hair due to it not being thick at all. This razor was taking out everything it touched up top.

The feel and feed back seems very different based on hollow ground and full wedge. The hollow gave a mix of glassy and velvet. The full wedge was a suction velvet feel. When I run my fingers across it I get a sensation that feels like both the LL side and the hybrid side of my other stone. Very smooth and hard with a velvety feel to it.

I also think I will have to seal the bottom on this one. Seems to have open cracks and layers that I don't want water seeping into.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what i can do with my rock. As i wet is the water stays on top of it and after 5 to 10 strokes it is completly gone...

I'm new to honing, but I'm finding that I need to replenish the water frequently on my small coticule (60x115mm). So, if you are using water only, just keep adding more water as needed. But if you are working with a slurry, I've no clue...

Ugh. Kidney stones. I feel for you Brian. I get them a couple times a year and they're miserable. Hope you're better soon.

Can you hone on kidney stones?

JK - hope feelin' better is in your immediate future...

I know. These people literally have stones coming out of them now. This is way more than HAD.
Sorry never HAD kidney stones. Probably not that funny sounds painful. Feel better soon.

Thank you everyone. I have drank a lake full of water in the last couple of days trying to get this thing out of me. If the feel is any indication it is a size 10 LL bout.

Top Bottom