What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

hmm a bit, but sound is pretty similar to the big one but it feels different
the bbw on the small one feels nearly like a japanese stone. :D the small one feels softer than the big one (coticule side)

hmm a bit, but sound is pretty similar to the big one but it feels different
the bbw on the small one feels nearly like a japanese stone. :D the small one feels softer than the big one (coticule side)

Sorry if I missed it, but I couldn't find where you say how either coticule feels, only the BBW.

My Coticule Selected 200 x 75 mm.
proxy.php

I got my combo La Petit Blanche last week from the Superior Shave. Its a lovely red color and the BBW has more sheen than most CD's. I love the color, and that its a bit unique. I call it "the Brick" because of the color and shape. Jarrod measured it as "50x150 combination stone, 34mm thick (!), and it weighs 750g"

View attachment 143762

Last edited:
I got my combo La Petit Blanche last week from the Superior Shave. Its a lovely red color and the BBW has more sheen than most CD's. I love the color, and that its a bit unique. I call it "the Brick" because of the color and shape. Jarrod measured it as a "50x150 combination stone, 34mm thick (!), and it weighs 750g"

View attachment 143762

You have TONS of coti there... that is awesome!

You have TONS of coti there... that is awesome!

I know! Most of the other coti's that were in stock were very very thin, and this one was really not that out of line in price. Half of me wonders why they did not take off the top layer and slap it on a backing to sell separately. Whatever the reason I am quite happy. Now to master using the blasted thing :001_tt1:

I know! Most of the other coti's that were in stock were very very thin, and this one was really not that out of line in price. Half of me wonders why they did not take off the top layer and slap it on a backing to sell separately. Whatever the reason I am quite happy. Now to master using the blasted thing :001_tt1:

For some reason the LPB are quite thick in general.

gary

The thin ones are still thick enough to last longer than you.

I don't care even 1% about names; I only care about feel.

While they might not be mining those, I've sold at least a dozen, though of course never a 60x200...so I'm familiar with their feel, and I preferred this bout's feel. Thus, for me, it is an easy decision, regardless of the value to the rest of the world; it is only a bonus that the lgj happens to be worth more to others.

Fair enough. I can imagine feeling differently if I were to have had hundreds of these rocks pass through my store. (On the other hand, it's not the names that interest me so much as the variations in characteristics, even if they give the same final result. A good taxonomy does help in studying such things.)

By the way, if you're so inclined, might you comment a bit on the feel of the one in your previous post? It looks like a La Grise (at least the latest variety being mined) with the typical wood grain part barely there on parts and a different sublayer partially exposed. I imagine that it's slow to medium on slurry and water, but I am unaware of how that bottom sublayer behaves.

I don't care even 1% about names; I only care about feel.

While they might not be mining those, I've sold at least a dozen, though of course never a 60x200...so I'm familiar with their feel, and I preferred this bout's feel. Thus, for me, it is an easy decision, regardless of the value to the rest of the world; it is only a bonus that the lgj happens to be worth more to others.

Jarrod, on your web page, you had said the red coticule I purchased from you (a couple of posts up) was one of your favorite "types". Do you care to enlighten a noob as to what you liked about it? Did it maybe have a similar feel to the one you picked out for yourself?

No generalization's accurate 100% of the time, of course, but I'm usually partial to the red stones for their combination of capacities; overall speed, communication 'flavor' and amplitude, ability to get to their slurry-max in relatively short order, an uncomplicated time of maximizing their keenness on water. Plus the red slurry's visual assistance helps, too...and I like how they look!

That bout's feel isn't at all like the grises we typically see, which are almost always soft and velvety. It is a bit scratchy for now, but I can tell it is from the lapping and not the stone. Very very hard, unlike grise. On the slow side for sure. Now I'm not using poorly beveled razors, and I know this isn't a fast stone, but I pretty much use the same new/old razor and just rub it on glass to see how fast it'll get to cutting hair and how well it'll do it...that's a more practical test for keeping a fleet running. When the metal pours off the stone by breathing on it, it is obvious and acceptable to declare an extreme generalized speed. But this one's speed in more practical matters seemed great, it made the razor cut arm hair easily in just a second and felt awesome doing it...I've got to take it to the kitchen tomorrow to get it a nice and glossy surface more befitting its royalty.

The La Grosse Jaune is pictured already but heres my Vintage Pike and La Grise both natural combination stones. The Pike lives up to its reputation for sure.

A 125 x 40 mm La Petit Blanche natural combo..

I'm coming to believe that this is the near perfect size for hand held honing..

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wow thats a brick not a hone!:w00t: Yeah anything around 125/150 and 35/50 are a great size for most honing tasks I must agree.I like to use a very hard slurry stone with mine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom