What's new

Compass recommendation

Kinda surprised no one else is running some flavor of Suunto.

Honestly I don't use either of mine much these days. I keep the Suunto in a pack and the K&E in the car.

The most I ever used a compass was back when we were sailing. I had a Suunto mounted to the front of the cockpit. Loved that compass but it was not for carrying around:001_smile

Ken

Never heard anything negative about Suunto. In fact, I'd prefer the Suunto MG-2GC to the current US version of the Silva Ranger, and it's probably a better compass than my older Swiss made Rangers, with the globally balanced, quick dampening needle.

My Swiss made "Silva" compasses are actually marked Nexus and Brunton, read the Wiki article on Silva for the name change details, but the bottom line is that the current US marketed Silva compasses are made in SE Asia and don't have the same build quality as the Swiss made ones.

However much I love gear minutia, I'm with KWDriver...it's a lot like shaving in that technique and practice trump gear almost every time. I can do resections, back azimuths and navigate with a cheap wrist compass, the nicer and more expensive gear just makes it easier, faster and more accurate. This thread has got me motivated to practice my land nav, because it really is all about knowledge.

When doing land nav or orienteering for fun, it's all good, but if I was really needing to find my way in a more serious situation I'd prefer the simple compass I had on me to the top of the line model I left at home.

Never heard anything negative about Suunto. In fact, I'd prefer the Suunto MG-2GC to the current US version of the Silva Ranger, and it's probably a better compass than my older Swiss made Rangers, with the globally balanced, quick dampening needle.

Good to know.

My Swiss made "Silva" compasses are actually marked Nexus and Brunton,

So the Brunton pocket transit I used in the 70s was really made by Silva? I never knew.

However much I love gear minutia, I'm with KWDriver...it's a lot like shaving in that technique and practice trump gear almost every time... This thread has got me motivated to practice my land nav, because it really is all about knowledge.... When doing land nav or orienteering for fun, it's all good, but if I was really needing to find my way in a more serious situation I'd prefer the simple compass I had on me to the top of the line model I left at home.

An excellent point and peripherally what started my mind on this whole subject. I've had my rig forever. I know it. I can do whatever I need to with it. I've lived in this town most of my years. I wouldn't need a compass to get anywhere locally. If I'm further afield than that I have my car, which has a compass, knife, flashlight, firesteel etc, etc in it. I never anticipate needing any of it, but it's there.

But summer is coming and the grandkids will be regulars here. Finding things for them to do is not always easy. Our 9yo grandson is perfectly happy to spend the entire day in his private world of video games but we try to look for things that force him to interact :scared: with us and get some physical activity. Past years we've done badmitten, croquet, kickball and such but he's old enough now I thought about setting up a small orienteering course in the backyard. Start him off with my K&E on something really simple and have him find his own compass at the end. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, one thought lead to the next and it got me wondering what folks are actually using out there these days.

Great discussion, all round! Thanks!

Ken

I have a Silva that started its service in 1984, it is still in my survey vest as a back up. I can sight the same tree you mention, take the same back azimuth, and get to where I want to go. What happens if you cant see where you want to go? But you know where you are and have a map. Essentially any compass does the same thing, points north or south, used to strike out, used to triangulate for orienteering. Anything after that is bells and whistles. Curious if the Cammenga 3H compensates for magnetic declination?
Please don't misunderstand me I think Silva makes a great compass as well.... I own Silva's too.... My point is that I prefer the 3H that's all to each there own and for their own needs and useage.. the OP says for a zombie apocalypse btw don't think it's gonna happen but the ruggedness of the 3H IMHO outways by far the Silva..... I'd also like to point out reading the posts beneath yours almost everyone is refrencing Silva with orienteering which if you get technical is the same damn sH*7 as land nav anyway but point being it's just my preference. And yes I can declinate with the 3H it's as easy as a few clicks ( literally ).

Last edited:
And just because its mil spec, doesn't make it accurate. I've turned in a couple because they exceeded the +/-3 degree deviation allowed. What we had was a table to lay the compass in, and compare what it reads vs what it should. And factor that deviation plus declination. Want to get fancy with a mil spec? Use an M3 and run mil azmuths. There's some overkill for you.

And just remember, mil spec equipment is made by the lowest bidder.

I preferred running a Silva Ranger vs a lensatic, because it was faster and I was terrain associating to get where I needed to be. Even on a land nav course that may have multiple points 50m apart, after an 800-1500m leg. terrain associate close, find an attack point to dead recon from over a minimum distance. And once I was a leader, I'd run a silva wrist compass to spot check my primary navigator using a lensatic or whatever he had.

So, my Ranger lives in my flight vest full time with my Etrex on trips away from the house, another is in my truck, and I have a small silva in my shave kit.
100% true just because it's mil spec does not make it accurate what makes it accurate is the level of quality control at the manufacturer that the military holds said mfg, to. BTW that's not true completely at least the lowest bidder is not always who gets the contract it goes to the lowest bidder that can meet the grade of "widget" they need built. I've seen examples of the lowest bidder getting put aside over the most minute detail of said "widget" because it fell a drop shy of the exact spec they require. In the case of a compass specifically common sense says the gov't is not going to send a soldier out in the field with a *** compass that is not accurate or use the 3H for painting a coordinate if it did not meet very stringant quality control. That is also why you should always regardless of brand try your compass in a familiar area to test it's accuracy before going into the deep woods untested. that said of course there could be lemons in every batch no matter what product it is from TV's to compasses. Also, yes the ranger probabaly may be faster but that's because it's meant for orienteering where speed is critical ... for those that don't know what orienteering is it's a compass race to designated points and the Silva compass was actually invented by the man who invented orienteering somewhere in like sweeden his name is like Kljell ....... and a partner and it was built specifically for their races. He actually has a great book called how to use map and compass I found it a great read but did me no good as I use grids and UTM. Sorry to rant and to be very honest I care much less about compass choice than all my posts seem to indicate they are both great just cammenga is my persal preference.

Last edited:
dude, I didn't need the class on mil spec gear. I've been using it for 25 years. lensatics are fine, and more robust. but they're heavier if you care about micrograms, and doesn't have a mirror.

again, having spent years walking around the woods, I don't/didn't need the precision of the degree that you're really talking about. I got the same accuracy of looking out to "that tree" then "that tree" where ever I needed to go from either. I wasn't surveying.

of greater importance to me was knowing my pace: with a ruck, without, running, running with a ruck... knowing my drift. ensuring I boxed properly, ensuring that I alternated my deviations around obstacles. knowing how to read a map, to see the terrain on paper and correlate what was in front of me. I could look at a map and say, stay on this side of that creek, stay on that side of that ridge, cross three fingers, then turn left down the draw to the road intersection... that allowed me to put down the compass and go. most

people aren't walking a dead reckoning course that takes them 1-5km and having to pick one of five points within 100m of each other, generally. and like I said before,I have been on that course. I hauled *** to near there. found myself some prominent terrain, and went the shortest distance possible via dead reckoning to minimize user error.

to me, shooting a good azmuth is the least and easiest factor of navigation.

Well, this thread prompted me to go to the local sporting goods store (Big 5) to see what could be had there for a cheap but serviceable compass to have in the trunk "just in case".

Lo and behold, they had the Brunton 9020G on sale for five bucks. Adjustable declination for a five spot isn't too bad. It's Chinese made and doesn't look to be the ruggedest piece of gear around, but for an emergency kit compass it's miles above the pin on ball types. Now I have something besides the compass app on the Android phone with me in the vehicle.

Kbuzbee, your 70's era Brunton pocket transit was made by Brunton. Silva bought Brunton in 1996 and then sold it in 2009. The whole story of Silva, Silva USA, Johnson Outdoors and Brunton is a confusing one of acquisitions, splits and production being moved. For awhile Brunton sold imported Swedish Silva product under the Nexus and Elite names.
It's all kind of confusing.

Thank you Topgumby! Glad to hear I'm not the only person still using a military lensatic compass. Mine doesn't have tritium but, it doesn't need batteries.

My handheld GPS is my nav tool of choice. But, that compass and a real topo map are always in my pack. Last summer I taught my middle school kids how to use the compass on a GPS orienteering field trip. It was a bigger hit than the hand held GPS units.

There is something about a magnetic compass that seems has an appeal to young and old, even when compared to the undeniable accuracy, convenience and wizardry of modern GPS units.

Perhaps using a method of navigation that would be familiar to Lewis and Clark brings us closer to the past. It could be that being free from reliance on batteries, the whims of satellite coverage and Selective Availability and the delicacy of modern electronics makes us feel truly independent. Maybe there is something about magnetism that is innately fascinating to some primitive thing in people, much like the dancing flames of the campfire.

Whatever the reason, compasses are just plain interesting. Kids know it. Big kids know it, and obsess about all the minor differences in that box that holds the magic needle.

BTW, the tritium doesn't use batteries, it's a self luminous radioactive material. Pretty harmless, especially when compared to the radium they used on watches, compasses and such during the world wars.

Anybody using a Recta compass? In the US, they were mainly sold under the Swiss Army brand.

I still want to learn the stars and a sextant. I don't sail, but I want to learn it. in the early days of aviation, especially oceanic aviation they use to use them, or take star shots to figure out where on the water they were.

Whatever the reason, compasses are just plain interesting. Kids know it. Big kids know it, and obsess about all the minor differences in that box that holds the magic needle.

That's how I always felt. Very well said.

In that vein, I just ordered an A series Suunto for our grandson. We'll see how well it competes with Assasins Creed :biggrin1:

Ken

KW Driver..........Sorry didn't mean any disrespect.... I honestly didn't notice your active duty..... for that matter mine doesn't say anything of my service.... bottom line I meant no offense by the "lesson" on how the MIL buys or the better convo would be doesn't buy what they should.

Last edited:
Well said Topgumby!

BTW - Thanks for pointing out my writing error. Always good to keep me humble. (I know tritium doesn't need batteries.):laugh:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wow, didn't realize that they even still worked :) I've a 60's or so baseplate model that I got in Boy Scouts, it has been used on the AT, the Wind River Range, etc., but hasn't been out in many a year.

Yup, magnetic compasses still work. In 1999, September 11, noon Greenwich time, a consortium of seven nations, (United States of America, Canada, Lichtenstein, Scotland, France, Portugal, and Italy) installed solar powered charging units at the North Pole. Thanks to these charging units, and the monthly maintenance provided by highly trained Arctic Terns, the Earth's magnetic field is at full strength.:lol:

What's scary about digging out "the old compass" due to this thread is that I had to double check my declination. Sure enough, one of my Rangers had the declination set about eight degrees West....probably Korea. The other was set for my home turf near Seattle, about nineteen degrees East...but a quick check online shows that should be about sixteen degrees East nowadays. Haven't changed it since the 90's.

We better get those Arctic Terns to quit moving around.

Happy to report I put this thread into action.

Printed out a Topo of the local area, and took the two boys and their cousin out to a local park and hit a trail. Went to a small lake I'd never seen before, despite growing up around here. The boys got a chance to do a little actual map orientation, a resection and we made some route choices on the fly based on our estimation of where we were.

Certainly no back country adventure, but it was gratifying to see the little lightbulbs go on over those heads when they saw the theory at work "in the field".

Oh, and despite my already owning two Silva made Rangers that have served me without fail for years, I've now got the itch to get one of those Suunto rigs with the global needle....CAD at work?

Top Bottom