What's new

Cobra Classic SE Tour

Did you take, or add anything to the box? It was traveling with some wonderful (and interesting) add ons. Did you try the Tom Ford Amber Absolute? Has to be one of the most bizarre colognes I have sampled.

I did not try the Tom Ford - I was quite surprised when that box arrived on my doorstep. "Why such a big box for one razor?" LOL.

I did try some of the sample cologne cards included though. For the CC test, I used some good performers from my own collection.

Took the Cobra for a spin this evening. Bowl lathered C&E SAO using my Duke 3 in Best.

After completing 2 passes, I had a DFS. But since I'm a creature of habit, I relathered and did my ATG pass. WOWSAH! :w00t: BBS w/ little to no effort using this beauty. Normally, I only get this smooth using a Feather DE blade w/ my Lady Blue; I guess the Feather blade is the common denominator here.

The Cobra Classic has a wonderful heft to it-the weight of the razor truly does all of the work. Changing the blades is simple enough, but you must pay attention as you normally would w/ a sharp blade. It provides excellent coverage due to the width of the blade and is easy to maneuver into possibly tricky areas. Now if it were only a 1/2 or so longer in the handle....( but that's just me-I find the Duke 3 handle a tad bit small also).

I can see why Phil decided to go out and buy one; I hear the siren song of the Cobra and it has me mesmerized.:001_tt1:
Let's see what the next few shaves hold.

marty

Today was the 14th shave with the Kai mild blade. I'll probably replace the blade for tomorrows shave, as today's shave had some pulling and it wasn't as comfortable as the previous shaves. It was still a nice BBS shave, it just required more work and more buffing to get there and that resulted in some irritation.

I managed to find the kai mild blades for $16 a pack on-line, provided you buy 3 packs at a time. Kai mild blade/3 pack. Shipping will add $10 to that, so each pack of blades works out to $19.34 shipped. Not the greatest deal to be had but still a pretty good deal considering that I should be able to easily get 12-13 shaves per blade. 12 shaves works out to 7.3 cents per shave and 13 shaves works out to 6.7cents per shave. Not too shabby. That three pack of blades for $58 including shipping should be good for a minimum of 792 shaves, that's assuming that I only get 12 shaves per blade.

Last edited:
I did not try the Tom Ford - I was quite surprised when that box arrived on my doorstep. "Why such a big box for one razor?" LOL.

I did try some of the sample cologne cards included though. For the CC test, I used some good performers from my own collection.

Ahhhhh!!! This answers my question. For a second I thought you had sent me the wrong package and sent the razor elsewhere!!!

Few notes. I have been crazy busy and have not been on B&B much at all the past couple of weeks. I've used it a few times and can give some input.

1. HEFT --- man this thing feels good in the hand. The grip is great and I had no problem changing grips throughout the shave.

2. Head size --- if I was a dome shaver, this would be a MUST buy. In time alone, my shave took almost half as long.

3. Blade changing --- very easy. I watched that video first, and then had no problem. Easy to clean as well.

4. Shave --- my issue with this razor is that my neck hair grows E-W across my neck. It also grows along my jawline. The result was that where my hair grows N-S, it was ridiculously easy to get BBS. On my neck, which tends to be a trouble area anyways, it was perhaps more difficult... maybe due to head width.

5. As this is my first SE to use, the angle of the razor has taken some adjustment, which may account for variation on my shaves. I plan to give it one more spin on Friday and then send out on Saturday to the next contestant!

This thread has gone a bit quiet, or at least I have lost track of where the razors are. :blushing: Any updates?

I also wanted to publicly extend my thanks to James (aka AABCDS) for sending me some blade samples. I thought I was all set - and at peace - using simply Feather Professional blades in my Cobra, and now I know there are other exceptional blades that will fit the razor. (Did I say I wanted to thank him or curse him?:tongue_sm) I am particularly smitten by the KAIs that others in this thread have spoken so highly of. Thanks for your generosity, James.

M.

Gah.

Thought i had got my RAD under control. Threads and feedback like this are bad medicine lol

Which of you lovely americans is going to buy one from classic shaving and ship it over to me in the UK ????

This thread has gone a bit quiet, or at least I have lost track of where the razors are. :blushing: Any updates?

I also wanted to publicly extend my thanks to James (aka AABCDS) for sending me some blade samples. I thought I was all set - and at peace - using simply Feather Professional blades in my Cobra, and now I know there are other exceptional blades that will fit the razor. (Did I say I wanted to thank him or curse him?:tongue_sm) I am particularly smitten by the KAIs that others in this thread have spoken so highly of. Thanks for your generosity, James.

M.

The kai's really are a nice blade. I currently have eight shaves on a Feather Pro Guard and it's also pretty nice, not as nice as the Kai mild though.

I'll be sending it on to next user this week. Absolutely great shaves with it. As stated, the heft, the feel are great. Funny, I too thought of using it for headshaving also!

marty

I tried the Kai milds when I had my feather ac ss but they were supplied when I bought it. Where is the best place to get them now?

One of the Cobras is in my hands as of today, I plan on using it tonight...wish me luck ; )

If you can wield the knife in your avatar you can handle the Cobra. :wink2: If there are any of the KAI mild blades still in the box I would recommend giving one of those a try.

If you can wield the knife in your avatar you can handle the Cobra. :wink2: If there are any of the KAI mild blades still in the box I would recommend giving one of those a try.

A big + 1 from me. The Kai's are really nice.

Razor Blades and More (a B and B supporting vendor) has both the regular, and guarded versions:

http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/catalog/straight-razors-blades/kai

I've seen the Kai mild guarded blades but I didn't realize that they will fit in the Cobra. I've used the Feather Pro Guard, the Feather Pro and the Kai Mild. The Kai milds are my favorite blade so far.

I got a PM about a week and a half or more ago saying the razor was on its way to me but it has not yet arrived. I don't know what happened, it just never showed up.

I got a PM about a week and a half or more ago saying the razor was on its way to me but it has not yet arrived. I don't know what happened, it just never showed up.

Were you given a tracking number for the package?

Seems rather silly not to spend $1 for a tracking number on a box who's value exceeds $165. While not stated in the rules, it would definitely be the Gentlemanly responsible thing to do. It's also a good CYA measure, as I wouldn't want to be held responsible for the loss of items of that value.

I've seen the Kai mild guarded blades but I didn't realize that they will fit in the Cobra. I've used the Feather Pro Guard, the Feather Pro and the Kai Mild. The Kai milds are my favorite blade so far.

I don't know that the Kai guarded blades will work in the Cobra. I was simply stating a fact about the stock at Razor Blades and More. But I would imagine, if the Feather Pro Guard works in the Cobra, then the guarded Kai blades should work as well.

Last edited:
Just the other day I purchased a Cobra Classic for jimbofett and shipped it across the pond. Today I happened to surf out to the Classic Shaving website and was shocked to see the price has taken another $20 price hike! I bought my original razor for $125, then it went to $145 and now it sits at $165. Maybe this thread is generating way too much interest and supply-and-demand is coming into play. :confused1 I should note that I was able to use coupon code NMDO for jimbofett's purchase. If it still works it might bring the price back down near its former $145....

Just the other day I purchased a Cobra Classic for jimbofett and shipped it across the pond. Today I happened to surf out to the Classic Shaving website and was shocked to see the price has taken another $20 price hike! I bought my original razor for $125, then it went to $145 and now it sits at $165. Maybe this thread is generating way too much interest and supply-and-demand is coming into play. :confused1 I should note that I was able to use coupon code NMDO for jimbofett's purchase. If it still works it might bring the price back down near its former $145....

It's worth $165 at least to me. I've alternated shaves for the last couple of weeks (since all my DE's are gone out on loan) between the Cobra Classic, a Schick Adjustable, and a Pal Adjustable and the Cobra keeps me coming back. Once you learn to work it around your face, it's BBS everywhere with no irritation at all. Once I get my DE's back, they might all end up BST'ed that's how good this razor is.

Top Bottom