What's new

Cobra Classic SE Tour

BTW, no shave today. Still DFS from yesterday more than 24 hours later. Needless to say, this is one wickedly close shaver.

Shaved tonight using the Kai Mild again. It was a very smooth, close shave. Used a little of the Tom Ford Amber Absolute. It's extremely powerful at first, but once it dries down, I like it a lot.

Anyway, the cobra is definitely impressive. I usually shave every few days, so I should get about 2 more shaves before getting it ready for the next person.

I have another one of Michael's Cobra's that was being toured around.
This one is heading to a Canadian destination or back to him.

If you are a Canadian and interested in trying it, let me know.
PM me directly and I'll pass it on.

Please read the rules in post 1.
Deadline is Nov. 6/2012.

Shaved with the Cobra using the Feather Professional blade this time. It definitely had a different feel to it than the Kai Mild did. The blade felt very smooth and very sharp, cutting even more effectively than the Kai. But there is this "feel" on the skin that the blade is waiting for you to slip up. And if you do, it will bite. That didn't happen, but the blade is a whole load sharper and less forgiving. Overall, it was a very good shave.

BTW, since there was one or two samples included that were nearly empty, I finished them off and included a few nicer products of my own. You'll just have to wait and see what they are.

I'm sending out the Cobra early as I've got several goodies on my way in the near future, and I've already decided that I love the razor, and even moreso the blades, especially the Kai's. It's a bit pricey for me, but I'd definitely get one if I had the extra cash to blow. I'm even more leaning toward getting a kamisori style feather, kai, or when they show up again, a CJB blade holder. I'm definitely appreciative that I've had the opportunity to test out the razor and blades, not to mention getting to try a few new products.

I was going to aim for sending it out to JCturboT Tuesday, but my schedule has opened up today, and I'll be mailing it out later this morning.

The Cobra has arrived...

Did not shave for the last couple days in anticipation of the razor arriving this week.

First impressions-
It is quite the looker as the pictures online don't do it justice, with it's gleaming chrome back side to it's ribbed underbelly. It is also heavier than I imagined but surprisingly less wide than I thought it would be.

I cleaned it up with a quick dip in 70% alcohol and then a warm water rinse and then proceeded to make some practice runs (without blade of course) to check angle and how it felt in my hand. I had heard a lot of complaints about the handle on the razor and some had wished it came with more of a conventional round handle but I actually like the grip on it, both going N-S as well as E-W I had no issue with the handle being uncomfortable or slippery at all.

I mixed up some Proraso cream and figured I'd try the more "mellow" of the two blade choices so I loaded up a Kai Captain Titan Mild and proceeded to do my typical N-S first pass and the first thing I noticed was how quiet the shave was compared to my R41. My R41 "sings" as it is mowing down the stubble, especially a couple days worth and the Kai's were silent. The Kai blade was also slightly tugging at my facial hair which I am not used to with my favorite blades loaded in my R41, the Super Iridium's.

This kind of surprised me as I know people say the Kai blades in general are extremely sharp.

I made it through my first pass and then lathered for my second -an ATG pass like I do with all my razors for the second pass. With less facial hair I had none of the tugging like on the first pass.
Two passes down and was going for some touch up under my nose and this is where the Cobra struck- a nice cut under my left nostril.

It really was no fault of the razor but my own as I was getting a little too relaxed in my routine.

Finished up my shave with a cold water rinse and then a pass of the Bloc Osma Alum and besides a slight sting on one part of my neck it felt great. I splashed on some Clubman on and was good to go.

I will post again after some more time with the Cobra.

Jeff

The Kai blade was also slightly tugging at my facial hair which I am not used to...
This kind of surprised me as I know people say the Kai blades in general are extremely sharp.
Jeff

Jeff, I had the same experience with the KAI blade yesterday, after having used the Feather blade for the previous 3 days of Cobra shaving. Today's 2nd shave with the KAI was less tugging but, compared to the Feather blades, the result is still noticeably different. I am curious to read how you'll rate your coming shaves.

I really didn't have a problem with the Kai blades myself. Be very aware of angle, because the blades are much thinner (size, not thickness) against the face than a DE or SE blade. The angle being off even a little can make them much grabbier.

Two members added.

Cobra Classic North American Tour
JCturboT (with razor)
MGM grand
bastimret
jmsodpc
Krato
<your name goes here>

I am regretting not trying the Kai blade. I have been using my Fatip since sending it out, with Feather blades, and I am not getting the same great experience I goth with the cobra. The thing keeping me from buying one is the handle. I just don't like the handle on the Cobra.

Is there anything remotely similar that takes a traditional threaded handle? If I could use one of my UFO handles with the head from the cobra, I think I might be in razor heaven.

If I could use one of my UFO handles with the head from the cobra, I think I might be in razor heaven.

To the best of my knowledge there is no such head available on the market today. Ironically, this morning I quickly browsed over this thread and pulled out some of the thoughts that had been expressed by members and sent it off to Classic Shaving. Following is an excerpt from that email, and #1 is my own razor heaven...so I did have an ulterior motive. :wink2:

• Offer a Cobra Classic that is milled from stainless steel, be it only the body or the entire razor. In theory you could take the existing razor to a shop with a CNC machine and they could do it.
  • Offer a Cobra Classic with a different handle. Some members loved the shave, but could not get used to the shape of the handle. Some expressed they wished it was similar to other safety razors and had a round, knurled handle.
  • Offer a Cobra Classic "head" that would allow shavers to use a variety of handles from their other 3-piece safety razors. There are currently a lot of new manufacturers offering heads and handles, and such a product might allow you to take advantage of those other offerings (e.g., a stainless steel Cobra "head" to match a stainless handle made by another company).
  • Offer a standard injector blade Cobra Classic so shavers could use Schick, Personna or other (cheaper) blades in the razor.

I really didn't have a problem with the Kai blades myself. Be very aware of angle, because the blades are much thinner (size, not thickness) against the face than a DE or SE blade. The angle being off even a little can make them much grabbier.

Having taken Jason's advice to heart, I gave the KAI blade another opportunity this morning (it was the 3rd shave for this blade) and I really focused on maitaining the angle I thought was right and which I find to be slightly different from the angle I used with the Feather blade loaded (maybe it's not the case but that's how it feels to me).

And what a difference that made. The KAI delivered its best shave yet this morning. I would not go as far as saying it is on par or better than the Feather Professional (I know, I am biaised :biggrin1:) but it was close and definitely a big improvement over the past 2 days shaving with this same blade.

Shave # 2 just finished...

Face lathered with Mike's Barber Shop soap and a Vufix Grosvenor and got a nice, creamy lather throughout the shave-gotta love Mike's.
Made three passes with the Cobra/Kai combo and did not have an issue with tugging or cuts/weepers. The alum block did not sting one bit.

What I did notice was the closeness or should I say lack of closeness of the shave-
I am normally a two pass shaver with some small touch-up and buffing on my chin but after two passes I was not clean shaven and needed three passes to clean things up.Even after the three passes I am nowhere near BBS.

I am swiching to the Feathers for tomorrows/Saturdays shave so I'll see if the sharper Feathers cut closer with fewer passes.

Jeff

Shave #3 completed.

This time I loaded in a Feather blade & used my 22mm XH TGN custom brush to bowl lather Proraso.
Gotta say this about Proraso-It is the cream I reach for most when I am trying out new blades/razors as it is so protective.Great stuff.

Back to the shave-
I was a little reluctant testing out the Feather's in the Cobra. I hated the Feather DE blades in both of my other razors so I was expecting the same here.

My fears were put to rest after the very first pass. It was much better than the Kai's,no pulling or tugging whatsoever, just a nice smooth shave from start to finish.

I made 2 1/2 passes with some light touchup around my chin and finished up with the Alum,slightly more sting on my neck area than the Kai blades but nothing really that bad.
I felt my face after a cold water rinse and it was a DFS...not quite BBS as I had a little stubble to the sides of my mouth which I normally have no issues with. It was probably more of a pressure issue on my end as I was extremely careful as my thoughts of Feather's DE blades are fresh in my mind and I typically use a very light pressure with my R41.

On my next shave I will apply more pressure and see where that leads me.

Any of you Cobra owners out there use pressure when shaving or just let the weight of the razor head do the job?

Jeff

Feather + pressure = AUUUGHGHH!!

Don't. You may need to slightly adjust either angle or direction to hit a certain spot, but a good razor doesn't need pressure, especially one that heavy.

Shave #4 done:

Tonight I used the same Feather blade used in shave #3. A Vulfix Grosvenor was the brush of choice and I decided to use a never before used soap for me...Speick Stick.
The soap had a nice smell and produced great lather, similiar to a Palmolive stick which I really like.
I made 2 1/2 passes but the diference this time was I used a good amount of pressure (sorry sychodelix).

Like I said in the past review I thought the Cobra was rather mild and was missing some areas around my mouth.
The added pressure resulted in a nice smooth shave especially on my neck area with just a slight amount of stubble left to both sides of my mouth. I think it the wide blade just not getting into that particular area.
I finished off with the Alum block and only a slight sting was felt. No aftershave was used as I wanted to feel if there was any razor burn down the road-there wasn't.

Jeff

Member added to the tour.

Cobra Classic North American Tour
JCturboT (with razor)
MGM grand
bastimret
jmsodpc
Krato
ERVARGASNY
<your name goes here>

Top Bottom