What's new

Climate Change, Coffee and Chocolate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Start saving your pennies...

Previous studies have shown that insects are dwindling for several reasons, including climate change and habitat loss, and other studies have shown shrinking number of pollinators, and yet more have shown coffee and cocoa plants themselves are hurt by the interaction. But the sum of all that is even worse than just the parts, study authors said.

"There will be this double hit of climate change impacting coffee itself, the coffee plants, but also impacting the pollinators on which it depends so that's quite worrying for those of us who like coffee," Newbold said.

That doesn't mean no coffee or chocolate, just more expensive indulgences, said study lead author Joe Millard, a computational ecologist at the Natural History Museum in London.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
or could it just be an excuse to increase the price.....

Ohhhh, you know they are going to raise the price! Everybody and their mother have been raising the prices 3-times more, for the past 3-years, using inflation as the reason. While he was quiet about it, I even spotted Captains Choice raising his price on his soaps and aftershaves by 1-dollar this year. Well, I notice everything, so there's that. But I am not happy with how high the cost of living is these days, and then with all the other inflation tacked on, with high gas prices, and high grocery costs.

Even the power and water bills went up last year. And now I am hearing coffee is going to be going up. I tell yeah want, we need a cost of living wage increase to go with it then lol. I've heard that the government is pushing stimulus checks for people who meet the threshold, in the way of tax returns I suppose it is. Well, thats all great and all, but not everybody is going to get that stimulus. I think I heard its the governments way of doing a test, to see what people do with the money or something. I don't know, this climate change is wreaking havoc more ways then one.

Its never easy, thats for sure!

or could it just be an excuse to increase the price.....
No. I don't need to read the link, I know that these producers are hanging on by a thread as it is. Without deep involvement by western companies, they wouldn't even be able to keep producing. These businesses keep these people out of crime and provide self determination and purpose. I am not going to go on and on, but we must pay whatever it takes when buying from small and medium companies that have an ethical foundation in place. The alternative is corporate strip mining, they will go in there and mine their resources until they can't keep up production then leave them with nothing but debt! This is not a joke, it affects all or us because if they can't keep a legitimate business, they will turn to drugs or migration. We need more people staying in their own countries and being productive for their country's economy to function and not being a drag on other countries. I know this borders on political, but I am unequivocally pro small producer and not anti immigration. I am advocating for them to prevent unnecessary and dangerous immigration.

Climate has change since beginning of time, weather, rain, cloud cover, humidity effect crops.

When I live in Sierra every year we’re had Sping, Summer, Fall, and Winter. No two years were alike.

When I live in Miami in 1950’s one year we’re had Super Bad Hurricane that did million in damage, was year before same are got hit with Super Storm.

This year in Phoenix we broke recoded for days in row over 110 degrees, in 1998 Record was one day at 122 at Airport in Phoenix.

Change is normal, cars don’t start with cranking engine, now we got electric push button start, or remote start.

Last edited:
No. I don't need to read the link, I know that these producers are hanging on by a thread as it is. Without deep involvement by western companies, they wouldn't even be able to keep producing. These businesses keep these people out of crime and provide self determination and purpose. I am not going to go on and on, but we must pay whatever it takes when buying from small and medium companies that have an ethical foundation in place. The alternative is corporate strip mining, they will go in there and mine their resources until they can't keep up production then leave them with nothing but debt! This is not a joke, it affects all or us because if they can't keep a legitimate business, they will turn to drugs or migration. We need more people staying in their own countries and being productive for their country's economy to function and not being a drag on other countries. I know this borders on political, but I am unequivocally pro small producer and not anti immigration. I am advocating for them to prevent unnecessary and dangerous immigration.
I agree with you but here is the issue. The growers themselves are not the ones reaping the benefit of the cost increases to a large extent. It is mainly the large companies who buys from them that does.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
From a climate scientist: "And while many experts have been cautious about acknowledging it, there is increasing evidence that global warming has accelerated over the past 15 years rather than continued at a gradual, steady pace. That acceleration means that the effects of climate change we are already seeing — extreme heat waves, wildfires, rainfall and sea level rise — will only grow more severe in the coming years."

It's one thing to pay more for coffee - which I will absolutely do - and quite another for what it's doing to wine producers, etc. Although I suppose people who have lost their homes to some of the extremes of global warming are not too sympathetic about my wine.

Well Climate Change is the next pile of BS people are indoctrinated in believing. Recall the Exon Valdez spilingl how much oil in Alaska, we were told maybe in 200 years the are would be clean, and safe. Mother Nature did not get the word, it she did job on own fast, and now everything is back to normal.

We had our own oil in water problem in Florida in nearly 50's, you would go to beach and ext wait with oil spots on body from WW-2 Ship that U-Boats sank, few years after moving out of Miami in early 60's again Mother Nature finished her job, and water was oil free.

Well Climate Change is the next pile of BS people are indoctrinated in believing. Recall the Exon Valdez spilingl how much oil in Alaska, we were told maybe in 200 years the are would be clean, and safe. Mother Nature did not get the word, it she did job on own fast, and now everything is back to normal.

We had our own oil in water problem in Florida in nearly 50's, you would go to beach and ext wait with oil spots on body from WW-2 Ship that U-Boats sank, few years after moving out of Miami in early 60's again Mother Nature finished her job, and water was oil free.
I agree. Climate change, global warming, global cooling, etc has been a political issue. I don't know why this thread is allowed since we don't need political discord. I am not trying to be rude. I just don't think it is an appropriate place for this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom