What's new

Chef's Knife

Hello,

Thought I'd throw out a question as there seems to be a fair bit of talk in regards to cooking in here...

I'm looking for a chef's knife and was wondering if any of you could throw out some recommendations (brands?) to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Wusthof and Henckels are the most popular German made and do a great job. Global and Shun are Japanese companies that make a great line of knives as well.

If you dig the classic look, go for either the Wustohof or the Henckels. Wusthof is especially well balance and nicely made. The Globals are razor sharp and are up to any task, but they are a few bucks more than the Germans. Even more expensive are the Shuns, however, I recommend you get over to a cooking store like Williams Sonoma or Sur la Table and try out the Shun Ken Onion line. They cut like nobody's business and their handle feels great in your hand.

Also, the santoku is pretty much a Japanese Chefs knive. It is easier to sharpen as their is no bolster to get in the way. The blade is also thinner so you can slice and chop more finely than you could with a regular chefs knife. All these lines make a santoku knife. Some have those little pockets called grantons as well, some don't. The granton edge is supposed to prevent things from sticking to the blade and allow for meat to retain its juices when you cut it, however there is not that much of a difference to support them either way IMHO. I think they kinda look cool more than anything. The other bonus to the santoku vs. a traditional chef is that you can get that two handed chop on because the blade is rounded at the end, whereas its tougher with a chefs because it comes to a point. Stop into a store and try them out and find what feels best in your hand, most good cooking stores will sit there and tell you the best points of each instead of just handing you the knife and saying here have fun.

Next time you are at the bookstore, look at Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook and read the section in the intro on knives. Knives are a really personal thing and everyone's hands are different. I have been using Wusthof Tridents for quite a long time and they so just OK to me. I got a Shun 8 inch chef knife last year for Christmas which is nice but the feel and balance are a little off to me. Shun do not have a bolster so if you developed the bad habit (cough cough) of resting a finger on the bolster, it doesn't work with Shun or similar knives.

I would not recommend buying a set. I have a large set of the Wushofs and find myself consistently using about 3 knives and that is it. You need a chef knife in 6 to 8 inch size depending on your hands and how much space you have, a serrated knife for bread and tomatoes, and a paring knive for peeling veggies. Anything else and you can pick it up when you find you really need it. I wouldn't recommend buying anything you can't maintain either. I have none of the equipment to take care of Japanese steel so I doubt I will ever own it regardless of the praises it gets.

Dennis

I'm a Henckels user for the most part. I like the balance and feel of traditional shape knives. I looked into Global when I was trying to find a good sashimi knife but I didn't care for the handles. Seems like wet hands would get slippery on those handles. Some reviews said the same thing, but I'd like to hear from other Global owners what they think. When I make sushi my hands are constantly wet and I need something with a good grip I don't have to worry about slipping out of my hand.

+1 on the Global knives, but I would not waste money on buying a complete set. All you really need is a chef's knife, a decent bread knife, and maybe a smaller paring knife.
DJ.

+1 on the Global knives, but I would not waste money on buying a complete set. All you really need is a chef's knife, a decent bread knife, and maybe a smaller paring knife.
DJ.

Indeed. And my Chinese vegie cleaver when through even the crustiest bread like a hot knife through butter. (Past tense because I dropped it and shattered the edge :frown: ).

-Mo

I almost forgot, if you do look at the Shun knives, remember that they make both left and right handed models.
DJ.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I bought a whole set of forged knives, including 2 chefs' knives, from an Italian manufacturer, Due Buoi (Two Oxen), direct from their website. They are excellent of quality, balance and sharpness. I bought them before the Euro infested the continental economy, so the prices were amazing -- about half, or less, the price of equivalent Henckels knives at the time. They are probably more expensive now.

I always wanted a good set & purchased the Wusthof classic set, and added a Wusthof santoku, & the Wusthof serrated tomato knife. The favorite ones we use are the santoku, the paring knife, the utility knife & the tomato knife in the summer. Scotty

Ouch is going to come by and try to sell you on some real fancy Japanese knives, so I have to talk fast so he doesn't catch me. :wink:

First of all, don't bother with a set. All you really need is two knives for 99% of tasks: a chef's knife (I prefer an 8"), and a paring knife. That is really it. I'll use a boning knife occasionally, but most people won't need it.

I have a drawer full of expensive Henckels and Wustofs, which I keep razor sharp. They are great knives. Globals are wicked sharp, but are so damn uncomfortable I would avoid them.

Now here is the kicker. Listen close. After decades of hard core cookery, would I buy another forged Henckels or Wustof (or any other)? No way. Nowadays you can get stamped blades that are every bit as good if not better performers than forged blades. They may not be attractive, but for a fraction of the price they can't be beat. The poster child for these are the Forschner Victorinox series. They are dirt cheap, come very sharp, and hold an edge great. I have a bunch and love them.

Remember, it ain't how pretty your knives are, it is how they work and how skilled they are at using them. I make an analogy to golf. When you are paired up with someone with shiny new clubs, you know most of the time he is a hacker. The guy you really have to watch out for is the guy with the older set of beat up clubs. That is the guy who is going to take your money big time.

I own a set of Shun knives and like others have said they cut like a dream and hold an edge longer than any other knives I have owned. That being said I would suggest getting your hands on one before shelling out the 130.00 for a chefs knife. The handle is a bit different from your classic German knife and for those with large hands you may find them not to your liking. I on the other hand love them and wouldn't even think of buying any other brand.

I use Shun knives and I like them a lot. I have a 8'' chefs and a parer, which is all I've every used. It was recommended to me by the incredibly knowledgeable folks on egullet.com to use a smooth hard steel with them since the Shun's themselves are so hard. They hold their edge great and look cool too.

Oh yes - the steel is all-important! Good point. This is what you want:
http://www.handamerican.com/steel3.html

You want either the S11 or S14 steels. They are smooth, not serrated and diamond cut. The diamond cut steels that come with most sets are far to harsh - these smooth steels are all you need.

Dennis

I have a set of wusthof classic I am selling. It is my chef kit but I am going the Hattori route. It is a 9 piece set with a nice case.

I own a set of Shun knives and like others have said they cut like a dream and hold an edge longer than any other knives I have owned. That being said I would suggest getting your hands on one before shelling out the 130.00 for a chefs knife. The handle is a bit different from your classic German knife and for those with large hands you may find them not to your liking. I on the other hand love them and wouldn't even think of buying any other brand.

I can not stand the d shape handle on the shuns. Defently hold one before buying one.

I have just gone this road myself.
I will suggest you lurk in one of the forums committed to that, like this
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/26/

I can also recommend, If you go for Japanese chiefs knife, to buy from
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/
excellent service and nice prices. You must also chose what kind of steel you like. I like stainless
, but thats because of abuse. Carbon steel is normally sharper. It's also important to keep an eye on the steels rockwell hardness (rc).
I found also this site interesting , it's about knife skills.

Lars

Ditto everything Lars has given on info and links. I have ordered from jck and they have great selection and service. Bradley

Top Bottom