What's new

INFO! Check Six - Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month & PIF in Post #6

Had my first Colonoscopy yesterday. 5 very small polyps removed, no
other concerns. Im now on the 5yr plan.
Ii asked for one on my last Dr visit. Dad had some tumours and 1/2 his intestine removed recently to get rid of the cancer (cancer free now and no colostomy bag needed), he's in his 80s and I turn 50 this year.

I'm expecting a letter shortly with my date. My Dr had no concerns and wasn't going to order up the scan, but I insisted.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
My Dr had no concerns and wasn't going to order up the scan, but I insisted.
That’s strange, especially with your dads history. 45 is the new recommended screening age so even without your dads Hx, they should have still ordered the scope. If you’ve had issues with the doc in the pay I’d be looking for a new PCP.

That’s strange, especially with your dads history. 45 is the new recommended screening age so even without your dads Hx, they should have still ordered the scope. If you’ve had issues with the doc in the pay I’d be looking for a new PCP.
He was happy to order it, no issues there. I think the age 45 is new guidelines this year. I haven't gone for my 2023 physical yet. I asked or it during a doctor visit, unrelated to colorectal stuff. Cancer Canada show 50y for screening up here. Dad wasn't diagnosed until early 80s or late 70s.

It's all good.

My next is scheduled for April. My last was just before the pandemic started in 2020. I was supposed to go back 6 months later for a follow up scope since they removed a large, flat polyp. It was the height of the pandemic and I said, “Are you out of your mind?”

I’m regretting that now. I had to have an abdominal CT scan a couple weeks ago, and they saw nothing out of the ordinary, so I’m feeling a little better about it. Still, I won’t rest easy until they do the scope.

Just a note, March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month.
Thanks for bumping this. I was running behind yesterday.

8 years ago yesterday I was released from the hospital after a right hemicolectomy. Screening saved my life. Unfortunately I lost a co-worker in December to this horrible disease. He was only 54. The rate is rising fastest in the under 50 age group and the recommended age for first screening is now 45.

For those at normal risk their are other screening options without the prep, but a colonoscopy is still the gold standard. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for those you love.

Thanks for bumping this. I was running behind yesterday.

8 years ago yesterday I was released from the hospital after a right hemicolectomy. Screening saved my life. Unfortunately I lost a co-worker in December to this horrible disease. He was only 54. The rate is rising fastest in the under 50 age group and the recommended age for first screening is now 45.

For those at normal risk their are other screening options without the prep, but a colonoscopy is still the gold standard. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for those you love.
I'm glad you made it through and my sympathies for your coworker. Colon cancer is now the number two cause of cancer deaths and is expected to eventually take over the number one spot. The wife of the man I donated my liver to is an advocate for colon cancer and part of a large support network, and she has sent me information about young people, including teens and even children, that have died from this disease, which is incredibly sad. It really isn't an old person's disease.

It's great to see this thread - anything to raise awareness and save lives.

My Father died 50 years ago when he was 47 years old and I was only 3 yrs old - you guessed it - bowel cancer (as we call it in the UK).

As a result:
  1. I've been having a colonoscopy every 5 years since the age of 30 (I'm now 53). I had one each year for the first 3 years after they found a polyp on the first look - removed and no further polyps.
  2. I'm still learning how to shave - Mum wasn't so good at teaching me that
    :001_rolle
    - I say that with black [military] humour but it's significant (see below).
The wisdom at the time that it was explained to me, and I guess it's more or less the same now, is that if a polyp will turn into cancer, it takes about 10 years from the polyp forming to becoming inoperable - hence the 5 yearly screening cycle.

The colonoscopy experience is fine, really. The preparation as many have pointed out is the worst bit - but actually, you feel quite refreshed and invigorated the day after the colonoscopy itself! The procedure isn't too bad either - mild sedation and a nice chat with the nurse while the doc is doing his thing - and you're done. Polyp removal was completely painless - you don't have nerves to feel pain in the colon/bowel so it can't hurt - this is why there are no symptoms with bowel cancer until it's too late.....

I'm due another go this year - just waiting for the invitation.

If there's anyone reading this who doesn't want to go through with having a colonoscopy because of the fear of pain, discomfort, ignominy, embarrassment or whatever fear or emotion you might have - put those fears and emotions in a box, put the lid on and get yourself done.

As others have said, the pain and suffering you leave behind when your dead from cancer is a whole lot worse than what you'll go through getting checked and having any issues dealt with. And if you're gone, you can't teach your children / grandchildren all the things they want their Dad / Grandpa to teach them.....

My regular gastroenterologist left the profession after my last one (not my fault!), so when scheduling this one, my GP suggested coming into the health system for it. I called to get it done and they said, sure, we are booking now for early 2024. :yikes:

That’s good! More people are getting them done, and there was a big backlog from the pandemic. I wasn’t waiting, though, so I called my usual practice back and got an appointment with the guy who assisted on my last one (he did the hot snare lasso removal of a (big) flat polyp). The wait for this one was just 3 months. Saddle up, Cowboy.

In the US doctors get quality of care bonuses from insurance companies for keeping costs down. Never be surprised in a for profit system. Bonuses can be substantial. Some don’t care, some chase a buck.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
In the US doctors get quality of care bonuses from insurance companies for keeping costs down. Never be surprised in a for profit system. Bonuses can be substantial. Some don’t care, some chase a buck.
Maybe some do, but I’m married to a doctor and she does not get any kind of bonuses for keeping costs down. Quality of care should actually be promoting routine screenings because it’s much cheaper to catch problems early and treat them then. Like ordering a colonoscopy and removing polyps before they become cancerous.

A lot of those programs are also based on things like actually seeing your pt in office when they’re sick rather than just saying “go to the ER.” I don’t know how many people I picked up on the ambulance for minor things, but when they called their PCP office they were told “call 911 and go to the ER.” We’d haul people in for things like a sprained ankle, fever, or a rash. The ER definitely costs more than a PCP visit. So the doctors that actually see their patients do sometimes get to split the perceived savings with the insurance companies. The lazy docs that don’t really care about their patients are the ones that drive up healthcare costs.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I had just got my colonoscopy done a few months ago and doctor says I'm good for 5 years. I had some surgery done back 2.5 years ago and I recommend getting a colonoscopy referral from your doctor or to have tests done of your stool for problems at least. If issues are found in stool then your scheduled for a colonoscopy is how it works in the Canadian health care system unless it is hereditary in gene pool then it can be also be requested by your local doctor to have it scheduled, also if it is a emergency operation and that can be nerve racking not knowing what is going to happen. Even if your feeling good with your health, life is to short to be suffering and limit what you can do in life when surgery is required with intestine bowl issues.

Just a bump before the end of the month. Glad to see folks doing what needs to be done, if not for yourself, for the sake of the ones you love. Hope to see you at the St. Sue Auction.

Top Bottom