What's new

Check out this NEW.

...Bie,:001_smile well sorta I did a lot of research when I was getting into wet shaving, as I do anything that strikes my interest, but it's no sub for experience.

So I guess I'll start by telling my shaving life's story, well I started shaving at my late 17 y/o of age. I was trying to hold off on that new expense, since I've noticed the prices for new razors were a bit too high for comfort :mad3:. However I managed to get a free disposable Schick blade in the newspaper and I didn't like the "beard" that was starting to form. But before I started to pass this milestone with the 3 bladed disposable I looked up a proper technique online. This lead me to Mantic59 and his Advance Shaving Technique video, funny because on this video he does use a similar multi bladed razor so I didn't pay much attention to the DE he was using; although it did remind me that this option was there except I figured it would be a more expensive route to take :lol:.

Going back to my momentous moment I started my shave with some of my dad's EDGE shave gel in an Orange can, and remembering back I guess I used too much gel and ended up doing two passes only because the first pass made me think huh :huh: this didn't hurt at all. So I walked around my house later that night admiring my shave and thinking about how I used that J Hooking technique like a champ and how I finally shaved for the first time. :w00t:

Then came the next day at school and my chin and cheek area was itching and/or burning like CRAZY!:mad5: (As anyone reading this can see I didn't use a preshave which I was thinking about during the shave [Just cold water] nor the aftershave was present in the picture either on that day since I figured I didn't need it :a52:and since I couldn't find anything that seemed to be for that exact need.) This is when I got more serious about my set up which led me to buy the recently new Gillette Fusion Pro-glide Which I believe cost me around $20 at the time. So I got my Barbasol shave gel, a preshave thermo scrub Gillette made and a Gillette After Shave splash. (Which lead me to get the aftershave cream later).

As I was leaving I noticed the price for the 8ct refills of $30, it's worth more than the handle!?! :cursing: Which came with 4 cartridges anyway. Then I knew I would have to buy these quite often since a family friend who is a salon stylist said I have the grain of a thick beard and since my hair grew quick enough for 2 or more shaves a week, I felt like this would one day bankrupt me. (Not literally of course, but you know teens.)

Luckily my dad used the regular Fusion model and the blades fitted the Pro-glide so I used those blades, that he bought in bulk at for around $50. Using these until 19 years of age, I remember that I needed to buy a pack of my own at the store and I saw that the Pro-glide blades were still pricey and so I stood at the blade case for a while and scanned around and this is when I saw the Wilkinson Sword DE Blades for like a dollar :ohmy:and this is when I took another look at the Price and said I'm making the switch no matter how long it takes me to find a razor.

Back to my research, which lead to an article on MSN about "the perfect shave" it mentioned a double edge razor blade, shave SOAP and a BRUSH? New, but not NEW this is when I took a closer look and thought, this is still around :blink: I thought it was old and pretty much gone like VCRs, Popeye and VCRs. Moving on I looked around and found a video on YT and since I read the comments for a better description and credibility on the video I saw a mention to Mantic59 I knew I've seen this guy before, but I didn't know him by username, so I took another look at his videos and paid more attention to the descriptions and comments on the tools used and some brands. I got to a video which had a mention on forums and online shops which I looked and checked prices for a long time, the forums didn't get much attention at the time.

Eventually came the day I got enough money for my first DE Razor; I didn't want to spend much on my purchase in the event that I didn't like it or worse, couldn't get the technique down right. So I went cheap and only bought enough to get the free shipping of $60.

I bought a:
Merkur Bakelite DE Razor, which came in a case and a pack of 10 razors
Lucky Tiger Face Scrub
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic
and last, but not least an Alum cube 3.1 oz
all for $62. :thumbup:

And since I was going cheapish I went with a "Premium" shave set from Target that was clearly better than the other green set sold at other stores. So this was my handsome new mug, with its soap and a stand for the razor and from what the box says a badger brush, but from what I read on these forums a while back turn out to be a boar brush. I couldn't tell of course, but the new brush experience was well enjoyed it truly was art.:a4:

And the rest was HIStory, now I have an Art of Shaving Fine tip Brush (One learns that one brush is never enough, a new Merkur HD 38c w/Long handle that I don't plan on changing for a long time and some Taylor of Old Bond soap which last a long time based on how much has been used up, just astonishing & shocking too. :mellow:

Along this journey I picked up from reviews and Mantic59 to join a forum and I figured why not I'm on a couple of other ones anyway and Badger and Blade was a natural selection. :thumbup1:

If you haven't picked it up yet I'm a young man :001_cool: with a lot of time to learn and try new things, but I am willing to learn and consider the new options available to me. I hope to learn from the all wise people here in this community from society that decided that this is better and this is the way of the shave. Thank you all and Thanks for reading.

- Moises

Top Bottom