What's new

Cheapest traditional shave possible

Gold Dollar 66
lapping film
scrap leather strop
Speick stick (can't do Arko), hand lathered.

restocking the soap a given, this setup will go for years

After asking about the date of my GEM the other day, I didn't want to have to waddle through that mess to find a starting point. Dating them is as clear as my name :)

It still took me quite a while looking through various message boards.

I'll start by stating why I don't think the switch from open to closed comb had anything to do with new shave creams being developed. If a company develops a product to make a task easier, and it actually causes the task to be harder, that company quickly goes out of business. Burma-Vita came out with Burma-Shave in 1925 and flourished. At that time the majority of razors were OC. (I only know of Gillette and GEM and I consider GEM to be a reinforced OC.)

I've read that the 1900/01 patent and early Ever Readys were considered lather catchers, but have heard no such issues with GEMs. In 1930 they came out with the Micromatic OC, which I noticed had no holes in the base plate. In 1933 they came out with the e-bar Micromatic, a CC version that also had no holes in the base plate. They then came out with Clog Pruf in 1941. It might have been in response to failings in the Micromatic line, but I believe it was a war time effort to allow soldiers an easier time shaving In situations where water is seldom plentiful. And unlike us, doing it for enjoyment, it was a crucial step in protecting against gas agents. This is just my supposition based upon when it happened, and the 8 years since last change to their razors happened. They would have fixed it earlier if it wasn't working well.

I believe the switch from OC to CC happened because of two reasons. The first reason is that the population was moving away from being beard wearers. The last bearded president was Benjamin Cleveland in 1898. Easy to use razors that didn't require a hone master to maintain had been invented. Two World Wars happened, which required soldiers to maintain a clean shaven face, but allowed for moustaches.

The second reason has to do with machining. I think that QC was easier to maintain, and machining more automated with CCs. They don't have dangly bits hanging about to get bent and/or broken off. And machining took off in the 30's. The following are tooling companies founded in the 30's. They made things to make things. This is why the first TTOs came out then.

Numberall Stamp and Tool Co. Inc.(1930), Iverson and Company (1931), Kitamura Machinery of USA Inc. (1933), Tool Specialty Co. (1933), City Machine Tool & Die Co. Inc. (1935), Wedin International Inc. (1936), Harig Mfg. Corp. (1937), Zagar Inc. (1937), Kennametal Inc. (1938)

That's my thinking on it.

I agree with @jmudrick.

Technically speaking shaving with a cartridge razor and Barbasol is wet shaving, it's just not "traditional" wet shaving.

Well, it's not dry shaving...LOL!!!.

I do understand your point of interest in brushes and soaps. I've been using Barbasol since I married and was too poor to buy those fancy gels. Barbasol was .59 cents a can. I used various razors primarily because I could no longer find those made of metal. This was before the internet and eBay.

I've enjoyed finding the old stuff, but just not gotten into brushes. Would it seem odd to get a nice brush and use Barbasol?

I think those of us using shaving cream just don't talk as much about it as those with brushes and soaps.
If I'm not mistaken, Barbasol would technically be a foam and a cream would be something along the lines of a tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street cream strictly speaking.

If I'm not mistaken, Barbasol would technically be a foam and a cream would be something along the lines of a tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street cream strictly speaking.

Yeah, foam just rinses off. Cream clings. Remember those gels that turned into foam? I noticed some tubes of cream at Publix, but I'm too cheap. Barbasol and Noxema with lanolin works just fine in open and closed combs, GEMs, Schick injectors, anything. It is simple, cheap, and I save so much I can afford a raised flat bottom.....LOL!!

Maybe just the use of a straight razor , should be considered traditional wet shaving. The DE safety razor was once considered a new improvement over the “ cut throat “ then used.
It's a slippery slope when you try to argue for what's tradition and what isn't, especially when you try to argue that traditional requires a brush. I mean, even brushless creams were around in the '20s. Thats what the original Barbasol was. I personally prefer a nice soap and a brush but it kind of annoys me when people act like you have to use a brush or else it's not traditional wet shaving.

Yeah, foam just rinses off. Cream clings. Remember those gels that turned into foam? I noticed some tubes of cream at Publix, but I'm too cheap. Barbasol and Noxema with lanolin works just fine in open and closed combs, GEMs, Schick injectors, anything. It is simple, cheap, and I save so much I can afford a raised flat bottom.....LOL!!
I hear you. I'm honestly thinking about go minimalist when my stock of soaps are gone and going back to Barbasol and Gillette aftershave gel. I love my brush and soap but I don't need it.

Well, it's not dry shaving...LOL!!!.

I do understand your point of interest in brushes and soaps. I've been using Barbasol since I married and was too poor to buy those fancy gels. Barbasol was .59 cents a can. I used various razors primarily because I could no longer find those made of metal. This was before the internet and eBay.

I've enjoyed finding the old stuff, but just not gotten into brushes. Would it seem odd to get a nice brush and use Barbasol?
To use a brush with Barbasol would not be beneficial,it would water the foam too thin and runny. Using a dry brush ,nothing to be gained over using you hands.

As i indicated in my post there could be many reasons why the switch took place. In the case of Barbasol , whose solid bar preceded Gillette, the rationale is right there in Conrad's 1933 patent application it's not my conjecture. The improved resistance to drops is also noted.

As for GEM, I sincerely doubt ASR would have named the razor the Clog-Pruf if it were an irrelevant concern. It doesn't mean there were not other motivations but you don't call your razor the Clog-Pruf if the public doesn't recognize clogging as an issue needing improvement.

After asking about the date of my GEM the other day, I didn't want to have to waddle through that mess to find a starting point. Dating them is as clear as my name :)

It still took me quite a while looking through various message boards.

I'll start by stating why I don't think the switch from open to closed comb had anything to do with new shave creams being developed. If a company develops a product to make a task easier, and it actually causes the task to be harder, that company quickly goes out of business. Burma-Vita came out with Burma-Shave in 1925 and flourished. At that time the majority of razors were OC. (I only know of Gillette and GEM and I consider GEM to be a reinforced OC.)

I've read that the 1900/01 patent and early Ever Readys were considered lather catchers, but have heard no such issues with GEMs. In 1930 they came out with the Micromatic OC, which I noticed had no holes in the base plate. In 1933 they came out with the e-bar Micromatic, a CC version that also had no holes in the base plate. They then came out with Clog Pruf in 1941. It might have been in response to failings in the Micromatic line, but I believe it was a war time effort to allow soldiers an easier time shaving In situations where water is seldom plentiful. And unlike us, doing it for enjoyment, it was a crucial step in protecting against gas agents. This is just my supposition based upon when it happened, and the 8 years since last change to their razors happened. They would have fixed it earlier if it wasn't working well.

I believe the switch from OC to CC happened because of two reasons. The first reason is that the population was moving away from being beard wearers. The last bearded president was Benjamin Cleveland in 1898. Easy to use razors that didn't require a hone master to maintain had been invented. Two World Wars happened, which required soldiers to maintain a clean shaven face, but allowed for moustaches.

The second reason has to do with machining. I think that QC was easier to maintain, and machining more automated with CCs. They don't have dangly bits hanging about to get bent and/or broken off. And machining took off in the 30's. The following are tooling companies founded in the 30's. They made things to make things. This is why the first TTOs came out then.

Numberall Stamp and Tool Co. Inc.(1930), Iverson and Company (1931), Kitamura Machinery of USA Inc. (1933), Tool Specialty Co. (1933), City Machine Tool & Die Co. Inc. (1935), Wedin International Inc. (1936), Harig Mfg. Corp. (1937), Zagar Inc. (1937), Kennametal Inc. (1938)

That's my thinking on it.
proxy.php

Last edited:
a 2 or 3 piece OC doesn't have a problem with clogging, especially if compared to the just released TTO's of that time period! We are currently using said equipment. Do you hear anyone saying they have issues with clogging on their open combs? That tech hasn't changed. You do hear things about whether TTOs have adequete lather channels.

As i indicated in my post there could be many reasons why the switch took place. In the case of Barbasol , whose solid bar preceded Gillette, the rationale is right there in Conrad's 1933 patent application it's not my conjecture. The improved resistance to drops is also noted.

As for GEM, I sincerely doubt ASR would have named the razor the Clog-Pruf if it were an irrelevant concern. It doesn't mean there were not other motivations but you don't call your razor the Clog-Pruf if the public doesn't recognize clogging as an issue needing improvement.

proxy.php
Excellent and thank you for posting as it validates what we’ve been discussing
regarding the impact of s
a 2 or 3 piece OC doesn't have a problem with clogging, especially if compared to the just released TTO's of that time period! We are currently using said equipment. Do you hear anyone saying they have issues with clogging on their open combs? That tech hasn't changed. You do hear things about whether TTOs have adequete lather channels.

I’ve had the experience of clogging when using cream type mediums with 100 year old razors. Much easier to rinse a solid safety bar BFH vs a comb type of the same era. What @jmudrick posted proves what we have been saying validating the problem did exist and why it resulted in a change in razor design.

if you want to use a brush with barbosol, use a brush, you are alone and in your safe place, your "shave den" so in reality unless you come on here and announce that you used a brush with barbosol, then no one knows the difference.

I've already saved a good amount of money already from going to a safety razor, sure there are some initial costs, but it's super minimal. I'm also a firm believer in finish what you have and use it up, I don't like the idea of getting shipments every single day of shave gear that will just take up space, don't get me wrong, I like a little variety in my life, but once again everyone is different.

I grew up around barbosol, my dad used it everyday when he was in the military, he also barely used water, and as a matter of face, he's the only guy I know that can jump head first into a pool, and go under water only to come back up and have a dry face.

The smell of barbasol is pretty awesome though!

Excellent and thank you for posting as it validates what we’ve been discussing
regarding the impact of s

I’ve had the experience of clogging when using cream type mediums with 100 year old razors. Much easier to rinse a solid safety bar BFH vs a comb type of the same era. What @jmudrick posted proves what we have been saying validating the problem did exist and why it resulted in a change in razor design.

And how do they compare against the TTOs of the time period? I haven't had an issue with my old OC clogging. TTOs on the other hand . . .

It makes me think people of that period were idiots. They go buy stuff that make using their razors harder, and continue to buy it.

I actually don't think they were having a problem. Please explain to me why they were purchasing stuff to clog their razors, making the process harder. I thought they were going to creams because it was easier.

Not sure what is mysterious here, and undoubtedly people were not idiots. Brushless creams of the 20s and 30s offered convenience, dispensing with brush and lathering, but were more demanding in terms of cleaning. Were you using a 90 year old cream formulation in your shaving regimen you might have greater appreciation for the issue consumers and manufacturers faced at the time.

And how do they compare against the TTOs of the time period? I haven't had an issue with my old OC clogging. TTOs on the other hand . . .

It makes me think people of that period were idiots. They go buy stuff that make using their razors harder, and continue to buy it.

I actually don't think they were having a problem. Please explain to me why they were purchasing stuff to clog their razors, making the process harder. I thought they were going to creams because it was easier.

Not sure what is mysterious here, and undoubtedly people were not idiots. Brushless creams of the 20s and 30s offered convenience, dispensing with brush and lathering, but were more demanding in terms of cleaning. Were you using a 90 year old cream formulation in your shaving regimen you might have greater appreciation for the issue consumers and manufacturers faced at the time.
I think I would go back to soap that was working fine for me and leave this huge "issue" in my dust.

If it was so hard to get it out of teeth. Why did they come out with the TTOs, it would have been impossible getting it out of all the nooks and crannies in them, but 1934, they came out with them.

I got a coworker who introduced me to this, and he swears by the arko stick. I don't think you can get much cheaper then Williams, Arko and even Vanderhagen. True pioneers in the "value" category.

I think that the tube/dish of proraso for $10 is one of the best deals out there. I bought a $32.00 that included the cream, the preshave, and the aftershave, it's been 3 months now, and I haven't even scratched the cream or aftershave. I did 86 the preshave though and had to buy more, but I simply might be using too much of it.

The other hidden value is colonel conk..........I got a travel puck of lime in a water tight case for $7.00 that I suspect will last north of a year if not more.

Top Bottom