What's new

Cella, RR P160 and ABCBA

Greetings gentlemen,

I have recently found a new appreciation for Italian soft soaps, specifically Cella. I started reading up on all of the threads that I could regarding performance and the likes of other similar soaps. RR's P.160 quickly peaked my interest and I was able to obtain a tub of it from a generous member that lives in town. He also threw in a small chunk of ABCBA, that has now found a home in the bottom of my Marvy Opal barber mug. Although some of this is old news to you, I always find it useful to revive such topics for new and existing members alike, if not simply for nostalgic purposes.

There's no doubt that there is a love for these Almond/ Cherry scented soaps, and although similar in appearance, they vary quite a bit as well.

For the cost effective consumer:

Cella-
Depending on where you buy your soap, you can find that little red tub of Cella for about $8-$9. What you get is a 150ml or 5.4 oz of Sweet almond and cherry goodness. **

RR's P.160-
Although gone are the days of the original formula, many members will attest to the recreation of this soap from Joe at IB. For $7.99, you're getting a neatly packaged, white tub in the amount of 125 ml or 4.2 oz. That may or may not seem like a lot of difference for the amount, but what you're losing in volume, you'll recover in more natural ingredients.

ABCBA-
Unless you have a magic time machine, good luck finding this stuff anywhere anymore. Like the P.160, I recall Joe having bricks of this made, seasonally and of limited quantities. I can't comment on the cost, since it doesn't seem to be available for purchase anywhere at this time.

** Cella can also be bought in a 1kg brick. Some have stated that it performs much better than what you get in the little red tub, while others have argued they cannot tell the difference. This will run you about $25-35 dollars, depending where you order, shipping, and availability in your town or country. The nice thing about this, is that you will actually pay less per oz when buying in bulk. You can also cut the block into chunks, and press it into your favourite container or mug, or simply share your pieces with friends.

Scent-

As mentioned earlier, Cella definitely has a sweet cherry/ almond scent. Some may find it very pleasant while others have commented that the cherry portion is too sweet.

P.160 does have a hint of the cherry scent, but to my nose, it has stronger tones of bitter almond.

ABCBA to me has very little smell at all, which to those with sensitive sniffers, this may be just the ticket. Granted you can smell the cherry/almond/ marzipan in it, the staying power is very limited.

Performance-

I'll keep it brief... I'm having a hard time telling which one works better than the others. In terms of slickness, they all rate about the same. Cella does seem to be a bit more sticky as far as the lather consistency is concerned. P.160 is slick without question. ABCBA has a peculiar smoothness about it, almost like silk. Let your face be the deciding factor in this one *.

* This is something some of you with sensitive skin may want to be wary of. Many members who love the scent and ease of these soaps, have complained about breaking out into hives or mild rash after use. Cella seems to be the biggest offender between the 3, and that's likely due to the ingredient Tallow, or possibly Coconut Oil (aka Cocos Nucifera). Which is found in P.160 as ABCBA as well.

If I had to pick a favourite right now, I think Cella would still be the winner for me.

I'll let you be the judge of which ones your favourite it. Some of you may also be looking for other Italian based soft soaps, outside of these 3. Honorable mentions (None that I have had the pleasure of trying) include, but are not limited to:

-Valobra
- Razorock Classic Artisan soap
- Vitos

For anyone having issues lathering these soaps, don't forget to check out Marco's method right here .

Hope this helps out in some way or another.

Brad

I believe the common ingredient in the almond soap that cause people irritation is the almond scent. Benez. . . Something or other, the oils in and of themselves are found in many of the soaps on the market and if tallow or coconut oil were irritants I'm not sure if there would be a soap to use as I think many if not all of them contain one or both of these oils.

I believe you're referring to Benzyl Salicylate. I know it's been removed from P. 160, and am pretty sure it's not in Cella.

Very nice reviews I have all three soaps and for me the P.160 has a much stronger cherry scent than the Cella does. Maybe some variation from batch to batch. I do get a very slight reaction from the original formula P160 but not enough that it would keep me from using it. I get no reaction from the other two soaps. The ABCBA didn't seem to have any cherry scent to me. All are excellent performers with my favorite being the P.160 closely followed by the Cella.

You can't forget Figaro. It is an awesome almond scented soft soft. I'm my opinion as good as Cella and better than RR Classic.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
No time machine needed for ABCBA. Just call up Old Town Shaving and ask for Antica Barbieria Colla. ABCBA is just the RazoRock branded version of the same exact soap. It's wonderful stuff, too. I just wish the scent was a tad bit stronger because mine has mostly faded in its mug.

Lee was kind enough to send me a few samples and I agree it's excellent stuff. Seriously some of the best soap I've tried yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom