What's new

Castle Forbes to Renovate

Just received some terrible news for you Castle Forbes Fans. Apparently the Castle must have required significant (MULTI BILLION POUND) renovation as CF has revised their prices upwards.

Here are old and new suggested retail prices:

Shaving Cream $30.00 .... $35.00
After Shave Balm $45.00 .... $50.00
Limes EdeT $85.00 .... $140.00 ($55.00 increase!!!)
Gentleman's Cologne $82.00 .... $112.00
1445 EdeT $82.00 .... $112.00
Forbes of Forbes EdeT $82.00 .... $112.00
Keig EdeT $82.00 .... $112.00
Lonach EdeT $82.00 .... $112.00
Chatelaine EdeP $92.00 .... $122.00
Eau Deux EdeP $92.00 .... $122.00
Applause EdeP $92.00 .... $122.00
S'Eau $62.00 ... $82.00

Best of luck fellows.

WOW.... and I had planned on ordering a bottle of the 1445 from Robert in September.... :frown: so much for that idea.

Men, check out this link for some CF colognes, $65. I've no experience with them, can anyone here summarize the scents?

Graham

sorry for the bad link, now its good to go.

Based on Peter's recommendation, I bit the bullet, and purchased some Castle Forbes colognes, the 1445 & Lonach as well as Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr. Sidney's Original to try, as I haven't heard a word on this cologne, and have asked about it multiple times! Once I get the products - expect reviews shortly after!

joel said:
Based on Peter's recommendation, I bit the bullet, and purchased some Castle Forbes colognes, the 1445 & Lonach as well as Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr. Sidney's Original to try, as I haven't heard a word on this cologne, and have asked about it multiple times! Once I get the products - expect reviews shortly after!
By Jove! I've heard it causes permanent male impotence. :yesnod:

slaneyg said:
Joel, you scored them from Knoxcigar?

Graham

Graham,
Yes sir..... apparently they have free UPS ground shipping as well - as I was not charged. I thought it was an error and emailed them, and sure enough - free shipping :cool:

Highly reliable sources have it that these AGGRESSIVE :devil: price increases were brought about by reformulation (ya' don't say?). The edT level concentrations found in CF products are to be/have been raised to edP (of all things).. So if the price was putting you off, will the (arguably) excessive level of concentration? :yesnod:

Oh dear, this story is still doing the rounds!

I contacted Andrew French of Castle Forbes about this subject last week and it appears that in the United States CF prices are in for an increase, by how much is still open to discussion. He did however confirm that they were not going to increase in the UK so even at $1.85 USD to £1 GBP TGS is still better value than Knoxcigar....

Should CF increase their Uk retail prices to the same reported level as the US equivalent, we would no longer stock it anyaway.

Regards, Robert

english_barber said:
Oh dear, this story is still doing the rounds!

I contacted Andrew French of Castle Forbes about this subject last week and it appears that in the United States CF prices are in for an increase, by how much is still open to discussion. He did however confirm that they were not going to increase in the UK so even at $1.85 USD to £1 GBP TGS is still better value than Knoxcigar....

Should CF increase their Uk retail prices to the same reported level as the US equivalent, we would no longer stock it anyaway.

Regards, Robert
Greetings Robert,
Did Andrew contradict that story or did you not ask? I would be interested in what has changed that makes the cost of business in the States so much more expensive.

guenron said:
Greetings Robert,
Did Andrew contradict that story or did you not ask? I would be interested in what has changed that makes the cost of business in the States so much more expensive.

Hi there,

Andrew mentioned the introduction of the range into the US "Saks".

Regards, Robert

english_barber said:
Hi there,

Andrew mentioned the introduction of the range into the US "Saks".

Regards, Robert
Thanks Robert.
I am going to assume he meant Saks 5th Avenue and not the raiment gents will be reduced to wearing if they purchase CF's kit at these new prices. (By the way, that was an attempt at humor in the face of adversity. :001_smile )

Gents -

I have had a couple email exchanges with Andrew French of Castle Forbes and he still has not explained to my satisfaction the disparity in retail prices between the U.S. and the U.K. Obviously this disparity is unfair to American retailers who have to buy-in the products, then try to sell them to American consumers ... consumers who are well aware of the internet.

I suggest the members of this forum contact Castle Forbes directly and DEMAND an explanation. The retail (e-tail) game in America is tough ... very tough; American consumers should not be unfairly directed to the U.K. It's one thing if we are competing with the U.K. with relatively equal prices, but in this case our disadvantage is too great. £40.00 in the UK compared to $112.00 in the US ... where you going to buy?

By the bye, I have been advised in the U.K. my name is being associated with "causing uproar". I have asked for further details.

Charles
Q E D

Is there really much of an issue here? In the past 5 years, the dollar has dropped almost 20% against the pound, from around .68 gbp/usd to .555 gbp/usd. Given that and the dim future of the dollar, why shouldn't they increase their price here?

Perhpas their stuff is just expensive, and it's not economical for them to sell it for less than a certain amount here. If so, good for them for being willing to sacrifice volume to keep their margins where they want them to be.

Dave C

Hello,

In defence of CF, a luxury product will always cost more in a foreign country. Once you add shipping and import duties it can increase the wholesale price by 20%, just look at Art Of Shaving prices in the UK.

Maybe CF are moving it's products upmarket, having just spent more money refurbishing Charnham House I'm sure we could sell it at the equivalent US prices from our retail shop.

It's difficult on the internet to show customers why a product is so good, but CF is in the same room as all our other brands and sells equally as well, despite being the most expensive. CF are one our favourite companies to deal with and produce the best shaving creams on the market, we use it on our customers in the Barber Shop

We'll just have to wailt and see where this goes....

Regards, Robert

Gents -

It sounds like I have asked you to light torches and march on Castle Forbes ... I am not. I regret participating in this subject. I will say the incredible price increases had nothing to do with the exchange rate and more to do with wanting to associate with the luxury goods market. But why not the luxury goods market in both the U.S. and U.K. with the same luxury goods prices? As Robert has admitted, if his prices had to rise to the level of the U.S. market, he would not carry the range.

Gents, again, I apologize for getting involved with this subject.

Charles
Q E D

First of all, Charles, I must say although I understand your reluctance to enter in to some discussions, anytime you do not participate in a discussion you have an interest in the the whole forum suffers.

That is not to say that your opinion caries anymore weight than anyone else's. But that all perspectives help round out our discussions.

As for CF, it is true that many of their price increases are a bit extreame. With reguard to their creams, it seems to me that the manufacturer's suggested retail has always been $35. This ishigh considering they lowered their cost by going to plastic jars.

I do however need to remind folks that their creams do come in some of the largest quantities on the market and use some of the finest oils. And lastly, the cost per shave for how long they last is still pretty good.

Paul.

Top Bottom