What's new

Cant sleep at night.Could be affecting body

Try a simple walk. I don't get arouond to it very often, but I always enjoy the times I do. It is good excerise, and it is a great time to think. Get your thinking done and go home and relax.

Randy

“The Program”
Set your alarm for 5am. When the alarm goes off put your feet on the floor. Haul your *** out of bed and run six miles every day. Don’t consume any caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, or any other drug ever. Keep your saturated fat consumption below 20g/day.

I have had trouble sleeping forever, and whenever I go on “The Program” I sleep like a baby. The problem is staying on “The Program”

Good luck.

If I run 6 miles, I better get up at 3! Actually, you bring up a good point. Get on a schedule. Also, and let's keep the rude comments to a minimum here, your bed is for sleeping. If you tend to laze in bed reading the newspaper or watching t.v., you mind will associate bedtime with things other than sleep. (Ouch...be careful here, we don't want to have to ban you for rude comments!)

Randy

I've always been a night owl, but it has been a bit ridiculous for several years now. I'm usually wide awake at 2 am, even if I was about to keel over at midnight. So after years of trial and error, I've found something natural, non-habit-forming and incredibly mild for helping me just get tired:

Calms Forté.

Natural, non-addictive, all that. I've found that I only have to take 1/2 of 1 tablet to just feel tired enough to sleep. I can even take 1/4 sometimes just to make myself slow down a bit. They say you can take it throughout the day for stress relief, but I only take it to sleep sometimes.

I'm pretty sure I've read that if you can't sleep, staying in bed and "trying" to sleep doesn't work. Get up and find something to read. This works for me when I can't sleep 'cause I'm thinking about work or something else. Don't eat during this time, 'cause it'll make it more difficult to get back to sleep. Aerobic exercise is very helpful. Good luck, I know this is very difficult.

jim

I too suffer from occasional insomnia. First and foremost, try the "lifestyle" changes others have recommended above. Unfortunately, these did not work for me. On the supplement side of things, melatonin, valerian, camomile, calcium (either alone or together) can and do work for many/most. Not wanting to take prescriptions more than necessary (ambien), I found great help with a form of GABA called phenibut. You won't find it at your local drugstore, but you can get it on line for fairly cheap. Just be sure to follow directions about taking time off from it to clear your body and use the lowest dose necessary to get results. You can google of "phenibut" to get a full description. There are also some reports on "yerba mate" (which is actually a mild stimulant similar to caffeine) being helpful for sleep when used during the day (yes, I know that sounds contradictory).

As a sufferer of cyclical insomnia, I do sympathize & empathize. I've tried everything include prescriptions like AmbienCR (scary stuff)....

The Ambien actually works but you need to keep bumping up the mg's every couple of months.

Finally, I did find something that works really well for me. Well enough so that I don't have to take Ambien or other scary medicines anymore. I laughed when I saw this product at Whole Foods but thought what the heck I'll try it as it's very cheap to buy.

Much to my amazement it works great for me. I now fall asleep within 2 to 10 minutes of turning out the lights & closing my eyes....which is a miracle for me personally...

The product is BADGER SLEEPING BALM & you can fully expect it to work. They also make a Nitey-nite soap that is good in conjunction with the Balm.

Available @ Whole Foods, most health stores or online at their site BadgerBalm.COM....

You can thank me later....

Just thought I would pipe up (I have this problem too and I'm in my 20's). The over and under the counter sleep aids, as well as alchol prevent you from having REM cycles, which means you don't get restful sleep. I'm not sure if this is true for the teas.

I don't have a good answer other than what was said above, I often end up getting less than 3 hours. I woke up this morning at 4:45 am and couldn't sleep anymore.

From my experience, most non-health related trouble sleeping occurs between the ears. Not being able to let go of compulsive or obsessive thoughts, mind racing, etc. Relaxing is not a highly valued activity in modern society. "Mover's" who are, "Always on the go" seem to be our role models. Proper relaxation time is essential for a healthy lifestyle.

Learning how to truly "Clear your mind and relax", and keep it that way, is a learned skill. Once, it was nearly instinctive, but we seem to have evolved past that. Once you master the skill, you'll never have trouble sleeping again.

Always wind down a bit before going to bed. Quiet the house and dim the lights. Relax in a recliner with a hot non-caffeinated beverage, cuddle with the kids, read, listen to soft relaxing music, etc. Once you go to bed, start off by substituting a physical sound (a fan blowing for instance) for the normal chaos in your head. Concentrate on the incessant drone and don't think of anything else. Sleep is like catching a butterfly. Actively chasing it will get you nowhere. If you stay still and quiet though, it may land on you. For the next step, substitute an imagined sound for the real one (an imaginary fan droning away). As the last step, simply think of nothing at all. Once you learn to do this, relaxing and falling asleep should be a breeze.

get a good bed like a sterns and foster or sealry posturepedic

they will help in getting you out like a light, and help keep you in dreamland until morning

Top Bottom