What's new

Canon SX30IS Opinion / Photography Book for Beginner

Gents,

I recently saw a gently used SX30IS on Craigslist, including two batteries, case, and a few other accessories. It was only $175, and the owner said he is upgrading, and has only had the camera for 3 months. I've recently realized that I not only need to take more family pictures, and would like to start taking pictures of landscapes, city scenes, etc. just for fun.

I will be upgrading from a little Canon SD1000. I obviously don't know much about all the camera options available, but I would like something with a much more significant zoom capabilities, something better in low light, and with the ability to take HD video (720p would be fine). I would like something I don't need to swap out lenses to start out with, so I can just focus on the composition of pictures, etc.

The SX30IS seems to fit my needs, but does anyone else have recommendations for a similar camera? I would like to stay under $200 starting out, so it would obviously be used.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a book that will introduce me to the basics of photography, and kind of get me started?

Any help would be much appreciated.

There are some issues with the camera at higher film speeds (above 400). However, this is a good camera to take along on vacations, cruises, etc. since it has a lens that goes from wide angle to super telephoto. I have a Panasonic DMC FZ-100 that I use for such purposes and find that it fills my needs just fine.

As for books, I will have to let some experts chime in.

On a side note, the owner said someone is coming to look at it tonight, but they will let me know if it doesn't sell. Is this a good enough deal I should offer them $200 and see if they take it?

Top Bottom