What's new

Canning/Pickling

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Sorry for the delay,

Usually I do something like 1/2 teaspoon of salt with 1 red onion (red is best, white or yellow ain't the same). I then drown this in the juice of 1 orange for 2 limes until there's liquid above the onion. It usually takes 2-3 oranges and 3-6 limes. It depends on your container.

My wife and I just finished putting up half of the bushel of Arkansas Black apples we bought. So far a dozen quarts of sliced apples in light syrup, one fresh pie, and several snacks. Apple butter is next on the agenda. These went into the old-time Ball and Atlas glass domed bale jars. We've got six dozen of the old quart, pint and half-pint jars and I was able to find a source for the rubber rings.

Last night I put up 9 pints of bean soup. It was a double batch of the Ball Blue Book bean soup recipe. It made 10 pints but I ate the one that didn't fit in the pressure cooker. I deviated from the recipe as follows:
  1. 3 bay leaves were added as the soup cooked. Unfortunately I could only find 2 when it was done. It will turn up eventually.
  2. Instead of salt pork or ham hocks I used a ham bone that had been in the freezer for a while. I don't know how much flavor it may have added.
  3. The recipe specified either navy or great northen beans. I used the tail end of various beans I had from other projects. There were navy beans, great northern beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, black beans. When I hit it with the stick blender it came out kind of purple. I'll try and get a picture posted later.

Top Bottom