What's new

canadian whisky

Canadian Club. It should be the only whisky in your Manhattan.

Traditionally it was straight Rye. Now it is also commonly made with Bourbon or Canadian Whiskey. I have made them with Crown but definitely prefer a Bourbon or Rye. Thats what makes a horse race...ymmv and all that.

I'll be honest, I love whisk(e)y but if I never have Canadian whisky again in my life, that's just fine with me. For my money, stick with bourbon, rye and Scotch, IMO you can get superior products at better prices.
I've found it's best to leave both Irish and Canadian whiskies alone.

I'll be honest, I love whisk(e)y but if I never have Canadian whisky again in my life, that's just fine with me. For my money, stick with bourbon, rye and Scotch, IMO you can get superior products at better prices.

This Canadian agrees.

i love scotch and bourbon. i get a wild hair every now and then and drink some crown. i was wondering if crown was the best canada has to offer? i will have to disagree with you on staying away from irish whisky. i really enjoy bushmills.

i will have to disagree with you on staying away from irish whisky. i really enjoy bushmills.

I respect Bushmills, but I can't justify it's price for the older vintages. If I want unpeated malt, I go Glengoyne or a light Speysider.

If you want to step up your Crown, go for Crown Special Reserve, Crown XR or Hirsch.

Crown is definitely not the best we have to offer.

Far better: Alberta Premium (The best!), Forty Creek single barrel, Wiser's Red Letter. I have heard good things about Danfield's 21 as well, but not tried it.

If you can find the Alberta Premium where you are, it is dirt cheap and darn good whisky.

I agree also.

Alberta Premium 6Y
Alberta Springs 10Y
Wiser's Very Old 18Y
Forty Creek
Centennial Premium rye 10Y
Potters Rye
Old Potrero

There are some other good ryes but they're not made in Canada...

I generally do not care for Canadian whiskey. While there is nothing wrong with it, per se, it is usually very bland and therefore, to me, uninteresting. I would like to try some of the better Canadian blends of pure rye whiskeys, but so far I have never had the opportunity.

Tim

I generally do not care for Canadian whiskey. While there is nothing wrong with it, per se, it is usually very bland and therefore, to me, uninteresting. I would like to try some of the better Canadian blends of pure rye whiskeys, but so far I have never had the opportunity.

Tim

I was going to say that Canadian whiskey doesn't taste like much to me. It's not bad, really, but I prefer a little more taste and I always assumed that the guys who dump theirs in Coca Cola buy Canadian whiskeys for that reason.

Crown Special Reserve
Alberta Premium
Alberta Springs
Forty Creek
Wisers 18

Glen Breton is a unique choice if scotch is your thing

Alberta Premium 6Y
Alberta Springs 10Y
Wiser's Very Old 18Y
Forty Creek
Centennial Premium rye 10Y
Potters Rye
Old Potrero

There are some other good ryes but they're not made in Canada...

Last bottle of Old Potrero I drank came from the distillery on Mariposa St. in San Francisco.

Top Bottom