What's new

Can You Distinguish A 1934 And A 1936 Aristocrat?

I have what I think is a 1934 Aristocrat. This is the first TTO razor ever made by Gillette, so I am very proud to have it. It has a serious case of the dropsies, needs replating, and has a case in horrendous shape, but then again, it's (likely) the first TTO razor ever.

I know the 1936 Aristocrat is basically identical, so I would like to know if there is any way to verify if mine is a 1934 or a 1936 version.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

On Mr. Razor's site, the picture of the 1934 looks like this...

proxy.php

This is fairly identical to mine. The case and blade holder are the same. You can see the leather of my case has been stripped off except for a little strip on the front edge, and the purple velvet is there as well.

The 1936 version as it appears on Mr. Razor's site looks like this...

proxy.php

Mr. Razor's site identifies it as an Aristocrat DeLuxe. The razor is the same, but the case is obviously much more ornate, being gold plated. Maybe this was just an upscale model and there was a 1936 version of the Aristocrat without the fancy case.

From the evidence, mine seems to be a 1934. Is there something else I can look at to verify which version I have?

The 1936 has a slightly rounder head than the 1934 which causes it (1936 version) to be slightly more aggressive.
The 1936 comes in the more ornate box. I have a 1936 Aristocrat with the ornate box.

I also think you have the 1934 version.

Does the '36 have a Gillette diamond logo on the upper smooth collar of the handle? I can't tell from the pictures.

Otherwise the case seems the only difference to me.
?

Top Bottom