What's new

Can this be cleaned nicely? (Vintage Gillette)

Gentlemen, no experience with beaten up vintages.

There’s no scrubbing bubbles over here, only normal detergents. I don’t have polishing equipment and all those fancy stuff.

Can this be cleaned to a “usable” state?

I see some dark dots or spots, are those permanent?

Found it for $10 and possibly a little less.

Thank you
Alex
IMG_6063.jpeg
IMG_6064.jpeg
IMG_6065.jpeg
IMG_6066.jpeg

If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner they work great for things like this. I have cleaned several vintage razors using that. Just use warm water and a bit of dish detergent in there and it will clean it well.

Some fellows have suggested running these through a dishwasher (if you have one).

I have one (which I gifted to my son) that was in similar shape. Now if shines! You'll be surprised at how they can come out.

I thought I read somewhere that dishwasher detergent is too harsh for the chrome finish on razors (I don't remember where, though...).
There are milder and harsher dish detergents. You use the mild ones on razors, diluted in a bowl of water, a drop or two in the bowl. A dishwasher doesn't seem a good idea to me.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, no experience with beaten up vintages.

There’s no scrubbing bubbles over here, only normal detergents. I don’t have polishing equipment and all those fancy stuff.

Can this be cleaned to a “usable” state?

I see some dark dots or spots, are those permanent?

Found it for $10 and possibly a little less.

Thank you
Alex
View attachment 1720068View attachment 1720069View attachment 1720070View attachment 1720071
A Brazilian Mono Tech, eh?
Does it have a date code?

Once you have soaked it in hot soapy water, scrubbed it with a toothbrush a few times, it should be fairly well cleaned up.

You can then polish it. Use a mild metal polish/cleaner, like Granny would use for her silverware, along with a microfiber cloth.

Don't use a dishwasher, the detergent can be very harsh. Don't use strong chemical cleaners. Just soapy water and mild metal polish.

Thank you all for the input!

@ivan_101 yes it is!

I can’t see it from the photos and the seller didn’t put that on the description. Not a razor and shaving type of guy.

No special equipment? get up it with what you have :D nylon brush? yep, jeez i get up them with a steel brush or a brass brush and lye bleach and hydrochloric acid citric acid phosphoric acid molasses

you stick knives an forks in a washdisher? no? so why not a razor, the deterg is caustic not toxic

It cleaned somewhat ok but there were some spots and pitting on the handle, one of the doors and the under the base plate were the date code is.

I don’t care, for the price I payed I’ll use it anyway. No big deal..

I’d post some pics but I’m on a trip right now.

Top Bottom