What's new

Can a straight razor be too sharp? Opinions welcome!

So... I recently renewed my interest in straight razor shaving and purchased a high quality straight razor. I won't post the maker here because I don't want to disparage any maker unjustly, but it was purchased directly from an authorized retailer. The razor was billed as "shave ready" with a detailed explanation of what that entailed (including hand stropping, etc). The razor in question is a 6/8 quarter grind square point.

When the razor arrived it appeared to be very well made and of exceptional quality. I stropped the edge only a few times paying particular attention to technique. As I said before, I used to use a straight razor, so this isn't my first attempt, although it has been a solid 10 years absence.

Anyway, when I began shaving (prep included a hot shower, Proraso pre-shave, Tabac shaving cream - standard DE routine I've been using for some time), I noticed the razor didn't seem to glide very smoothly over my face. The blade seemed to sort of start and stop on my face. I tried changing my angle, adding more shaving cream... nothing seemed to help. The shave was not irritating, but it also didn't seem terribly close (although I attribute most of that to my lack of practice).

Following my shave, I examined the edge for defects (without finding any), and stropped the razor 60+ times. The following day I attempted a shave again with similar results.

My question is: can a razor be too sharp? Is it possible there is a microscopic burr on the edge? Am I missing something? Suggestions? My old razor was a Dovo 5/8. I remember it being pretty scary sharp, but I also remember it gliding more smoothly over my skin... and, as my first razor, I put that Dovo through some abuse! It was dropped, edge was occasionally nicked due to poor honing and stropping technique (by me)... Unfortunately, I no longer have the Dovo for comparison... Could this be an angle issue? A prep issue? It honestly feels like the razor is so sharp it's slicing through any lubrication and straight into my skin... is that possible?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes,a razor can be too sharp. This will feel uncomfortable and leave you with irritation.

However, I don't think that what you are describing is a symptom of it being too sharp. Maybe angle and pressure is the issue? that or it may need to be honed.

I never strop a razor that is advertised as shave ready. I always give the retailer the opportunity to show me his edges are truly "shave ready". Sadly most of the new razors I've purchased didn't arrive to my standards of "shave ready" A touch up on the Shapton Stones were necessary. If you have a finishing stone or green crox paste I would give it a touch-up and re-strop.

I would recommend purchasing a 30X60 lighted loupe on ebay. The cost is around six dollars. An excellent way to check your edges for imperfections, poor bevel sets, and honing scratch marks.

Last edited:
If it feels like its cutting your face off it's hard to tell if its likely technique or edge. It may take some time to get the technique back after a decade hiatus. If it too sharp you would probably gave a lot of red line style scratches.

I think give it more time and then you'll be in a better position. Btw bad stropping quickly kills an edge. Not sure why hand stropping is marketed though.

I think with some more practice, perhaps some slicker lather, and a bit of patience and you'll be shaving comfortable like the old Dovo. I don't think a razor can get so sharp as you describe, though they can be over-honed. But this doesn't typically feel like it's too sharp or cutting through lubrication.

Try wetter lather. Thick yogurt consistency is desirable for DE shaving, but straight razors want more water and a thinner lather.

Personally I don't think a razor can be too sharp, it can lack smoothness but I would shave with a light saber if it was smooth.

I think sharp is easy, sharp and smooth is much harder to achieve.

As was said, if the razor was skipping I doubt it is really shave ready, might need to be honed-of course your technique can be at fault too.

At this point you might be stuck sending it out and have someone evaluate and hone it if necessary.

If it is too sharp, like the harsh edges that can be generated with 0.25 diamond or 0.3 film, then it will settle in over the next few shaves.
But as has been suggested, it sounds more like prep and angle issues.

Personally I don't think a razor can be too sharp, it can lack smoothness but I would shave with a light saber if it was smooth.

I think sharp is easy, sharp and smooth is much harder to achieve.

As was said, if the razor was skipping I doubt it is really shave ready, might need to be honed-of course your technique can be at fault too.

At this point you might be stuck sending it out and have someone evaluate and hone it if necessary.

This is it!

Alrighty... well I received my razor back from a professional honing service unaffiliated with the company I purchased the razor from... Despite their request to remedy the situation themselves, I knew I'd feel better knowing someone else had remedied my issue.

On return, the difference in the edge quality was... shocking! now the edge had a mirror finish, and I was unable to find any imperfections! Of course, I rinsed off the oil then got distracted .... and didn't dry it sufficiently! SO... I got some rust on the blade. I was able to get it off with Flitz and a felt wheel on a Dremel. Definitely had a severe "pucker factor" going on, especially as I'd just received the razor back!

Anyway, rust removed, 50 laps on a strop, and a shave! Totally different experience! The razor worked as I remember, although I can definitely tell that my technique is a bit rusty. At least I am confident now that the angle is correct, the blade is truly "shave ready", and any errors or imperfections are most likely 100% on me.

Many thanks to everyone here for their suggestions.

Top Bottom