What's new

By

Welcome to B&B.

I don't know anyone offering Elephant Ivory (which is what is on most vintage razors with real Ivory scales) but Robert Williams rescales a TI Hammer for me with Mammoth Ivory.

You can find his web page HERE. Though his page appears to be down at the moment. He is also a member here as Papa Bull.

Finding someone to redo Ivory isn't a problem as long as you'll take mammoth, walrus, hippo. Elephant is illegal to trade in most countries. Either you find a piece that's preban or you smuggle it in from SE Asia and risk seizure, fines and jail or you try and acquire it legally. The only legal Elephant ivory in the U.S is when they cull the herds in S Africa and the documentation required to import is daunting.

Finding someone to redo Ivory isn't a problem as long as you'll take mammoth, walrus, hippo. Elephant is illegal to trade in most countries. Either you find a piece that's preban or you smuggle it in from SE Asia and risk seizure, fines and jail or you try and acquire it legally. The only legal Elephant ivory in the U.S is when they cull the herds in S Africa and the documentation required to import is daunting.

thanks, PM - any specific restorer you can recommend?
By

I would recommend immitation ivory. There are some awsome products out there that are economical and practically indiscernible from the real thing. They are also easier to work with and not made from pieces of something that had a face. :smile:

I would recommend immitation ivory. There are some awsome products out there that are economical and practically indiscernible from the real thing. They are also easier to work with and not made from pieces of something that had a face. :smile:

+1 - I've seen some really good immitation ivory - much cheaper and less fragile than the real stuff.

Is there somewhere other than ClassicShaving to buy scales? You mentioned the imitation ivory and it got me to thinking that the only prefabed scales I know of are the DOVO scales sold by ClassicShaving.
I have seen the W&B scales the gentleman in Germany lists, but never a price. I admint I've only looked at his web site and haven't tried to contact him.

Top Bottom