What's new

Buying From Ebay

Currently there's a FatBoy for sale - 1959 Gillette FatBoy NOS 195 offered by 1549 Jack - $397.88 or best offer
returns not accepted although a PayPal "looking" banner appears saying there's protection available if item not
as described - the 195 I've read refers to the original price of $1.95 .

There's a lengthy description that includes words like "modified item" and "Lustrous Nickel Plating" - I have an E4
FatBoy that I bought several years ago for I think around $80 which I thought was high at that time - I'm not a
collector but I'm guessing many members here are - what I'm wondering from the collectors here or just those on
this forum with knowledge is this - are there things in the description that set off alarm bells or even on the flip
side , bells of joy - and not for just this razor but in general for any older collectible vintage razor - and FWIW it's
been on Ebay for a week or two now .

Will be interested in getting your thoughts .

$400 for a Gillette adjustable?! Wow.

From what you posted I’d guess the razor is replated in nickel and ‘NOS’ means it appears like it’s in newish condition, rather than actually being new old stock.

For me the price is crazy!
I'm biased, but I would never spend 400 dollar on a Fatboy, I paid 70 euro for mine and it works perfectly and is in excellent condition
If you are a vintage lover I can understand, but still it is an exaggerated price
I like the worn effect of a vintage razor more

Unless the price of a replated vintage razor is reasonable or the razor itself is very rare, they are not worth it. Most of the folks who sell those razors are buying them in very poor condition for a few bucks and then they ship them directly to someone who can replate and restore them for less than $80 and then they resell those razor for much more.

You just need to do your research about the more fragile vintage Gillette models in order to know what to look for and what to avoid.

Currently there's a FatBoy for sale - 1959 Gillette FatBoy NOS 195 offered by 1549 Jack - $397.88 or best offer
returns not accepted although a PayPal "looking" banner appears saying there's protection available if item not
as described - the 195 I've read refers to the original price of $1.95 .

There's a lengthy description that includes words like "modified item" and "Lustrous Nickel Plating" - I have an E4
FatBoy that I bought several years ago for I think around $80 which I thought was high at that time - I'm not a
collector but I'm guessing many members here are - what I'm wondering from the collectors here or just those on
this forum with knowledge is this - are there things in the description that set off alarm bells or even on the flip
side , bells of joy - and not for just this razor but in general for any older collectible vintage razor - and FWIW it's
been on Ebay for a week or two now .

Will be interested in getting your thoughts .
It does appear to be an unused NOS 195 Adjustable. A pretty rare item. Even the blade container is in original cellophane. The case appears mint, and instructions contained with blade container sealed. There is no indication this is a replate.

If this is an authentic NOS complete set the price is not too whacky as an opening gambit. If I was a serious collector with a money tree I would offer 180-200 tops.

The seller appears reputable, with a 100% positive feedback. Seems to be a collector.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
In my opinion the finish and plating seems just a little too nice to be correct.
I've seen a few originals, this one has either been recently polished or plated in bright nickel.

I would tend to agree that $400 is high for even a NOS offering but its still not as much as a bottom dial has been sold for!! Not even close!!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I would tend to agree that $400 is high for even a NOS offering but its still not as much as a bottom dial has been sold for!! Not even close!!
Or a red dot -- this sold for US $1,222.00 (May 2021)
1698116548136.png

Let us not forget the old EBAY DIGEST thread:

Buying ANYTHING on eBay is a gamble. Don't spend more than you're willing to lose.

I have no input to provide on that particular razor, or Fat Boys in general. But $400 for a razor seems a bit much for me. I've bought Gillette adjustables at antique stores and garage sales for $20 or less.

That one looks replated....too shiny.

But then there is one for $499 and then another for $599......

A while back (1-2m) I saw a Fatboy NOS sell for $600+.....and interestingly the finish looked dull and fishy, too....(this was when a bunch of NOS Gillette showed in one week)

Buying ANYTHING on eBay is a gamble. Don't spend more than you're willing to lose.

I have no input to provide on that particular razor, or Fat Boys in general. But $400 for a razor seems a bit much for me. I've bought Gillette adjustables at antique stores and garage sales for $20 or less.
I'm with @nemo on the polishing but don't think looking at multiple pics that razor was re-plated...

We've all bought Fatboys from various outlets for $20 and to be honest they looked like they were a $5 razor that was overpriced!! Very much like the one listed on Ebay!!

I wished I could have bought an old Gillette Fatboy before the prices had gotten high. Of course I’ve I only been using a DE razor for 11 or 12 years, so I didn’t know what they would be worth years ago. Fortunately, I have my grandfather’s L1 Slim, and his stepdad’s Tuckaway.

I hadn’t considered that serious collectors would shop much on eBay. I would have thought that there is a network which caters to that market. Yet more proof that I learn something new every day.

Top Bottom