What's new

Buying a suit on Ebay

I'm in need of a new suit. My cheaper college/interview suits are ready to be retired. I'd like something a step up from those, but don't really feel warranted to spend a bunch of money on a suit I'll wear a few times a year. I don't ever have to wear suits for work, or even traveling for work. Weddings are pretty much it, maybe a random event here and there.

Does anyone have experience buying suits from ebay? What brands should I look for? Brands to avoid? I'm a skinny 29 year old, so I'm looking for more of a slimmer fitting suit, not an old man fat walrus Wall Street suit.

My wife is an excellent seamstress, so I can get her to measure me pretty accurately. From what I've been reading, its hard to go wrong if you find a seller who will take returns. Then if its not fitting right in the shoulders, or other hard to tailor areas, return it and look for another. I've read its important to get the shoulders and length of the jacket to fit perfectly. The sleeve length and fit around the torso can be adjusted by a good tailor.

I'm in need of a new suit. My cheaper college/interview suits are ready to be retired. I'd like something a step up from those, but don't really feel warranted to spend a bunch of money on a suit I'll wear a few times a year. I don't ever have to wear suits for work, or even traveling for work. Weddings are pretty much it, maybe a random event here and there.

Does anyone have experience buying suits from ebay? What brands should I look for? Brands to avoid? I'm a skinny 29 year old, so I'm looking for more of a slimmer fitting suit, not an old man fat walrus Wall Street suit.

My wife is an excellent seamstress, so I can get her to measure me pretty accurately. From what I've been reading, its hard to go wrong if you find a seller who will take returns. Then if its not fitting right in the shoulders, or other hard to tailor areas, return it and look for another. I've read its important to get the shoulders and length of the jacket to fit perfectly. The sleeve length and fit around the torso can be adjusted by a good tailor.

This is true, and having a seamstress in the household is a big bonus. That said, I'd tend to steer clear of buying suits online at all - let alone on ebay. If you're only going to wear a suit for weddings and the occasional "random event", you can get away with one suit. Blue or gray, subtle to no pattern. You can change the look of it easily with shirt & tie. Try it on before you buy it - get the critical dimensions right. It doesn't have to be expensive, but I'd recommend steering clear of anything but wool.

Fact: A well-tailored inexpensive suit looks infinitely better than an ill-fitting $2000 designer job.

Are there any "resale"" stores where you live? If so, try that first - if you are lucky (or persistent) you may be able to find something you like, and be able to try it on. I wore suits every day for years and feel that if a suit does not fit properly. it's a waste. If you can try something on or at least get a feel for how certain labels will fit, I think you'll be a lot better off.

I agree with Price. If the only reason you are using Ebay is convenience, this is one time you need to put that aside.

I agree with Price. If the only reason you are using Ebay is convenience, this is one time you need to put that aside.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Price more than convenience.

For instnace, I just saw a Brooks Brothers suit for $50 buy it now. If that was your size, you could snag yourself a $1000 suit for a song. The seller offered returns, so if the suit wasn't everything you were expecting, you are just out the shipping. Most of the bigger sellers even list pretty detailed measurement. Pit to pit, waist, sleeve length to shoulder...

Am I wrong here?

Are there any "resale"" stores where you live? If so, try that first - if you are lucky (or persistent) you may be able to find something you like, and be able to try it on. I wore suits every day for years and feel that if a suit does not fit properly. it's a waste. If you can try something on or at least get a feel for how certain labels will fit, I think you'll be a lot better off.

Im new to the area I live in now, but I've never had much luck with the thrift type resellers like Goodwill, Salvation Army etc. Consignment stores tend to be geared more towards women, and the prices are not all that spectacular.

Try the outlet stores of the more famous/expensive brand name men's clothiers. I recently purchased a beautiful blue suit from Jos. A Bank that was on clearance and then further reduced by 40% for pre-Christmas sale. With tailoring to fit me perfectly I walked out with a suit that will last me many years for around $275.

Although this may sound a bit steep this is an investment that, with proper care, will last you many many years.

Also, you cannot put a price on really looking sharp for occasions where it matters.

Tim

Maybe I wasn't clear. Price more than convenience.

For instnace, I just saw a Brooks Brothers suit for $50 buy it now. If that was your size, you could snag yourself a $1000 suit for a song. The seller offered returns, so if the suit wasn't everything you were expecting, you are just out the shipping. Most of the bigger sellers even list pretty detailed measurement. Pit to pit, waist, sleeve length to shoulder...

Am I wrong here?

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but that sounds a little too good to be true, am I right? A $8 fountain pen from Hong Kong with free shipping was hard enough for me to believe...but a $50 BB suit?

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but that sounds a little too good to be true, am I right? A $8 fountain pen from Hong Kong with free shipping was hard enough for me to believe...but a $50 BB suit?
Someone's probably flipping a thrifted suit. Depending on the store, local thrifts will sell suits for between $7 and $15. So seeing one for $50 on eBay doesn't seem too far fetched. Especially if it's a 346.

Try the outlet stores of the more famous/expensive brand name men's clothiers. I recently purchased a beautiful blue suit from Jos. A Bank that was on clearance and then further reduced by 40% for pre-Christmas sale. With tailoring to fit me perfectly I walked out with a suit that will last me many years for around $275.

Although this may sound a bit steep this is an investment that, with proper care, will last you many many years.

Also, you cannot put a price on really looking sharp for occasions where it matters.

Tim

I'm sorry, but you should not buy a suit on eBay, especially if it is the one suit that you plan on wearing to functions occasionally. There is a fine line between buying non-essential items inexpensively and buying a suit on the cheap. A suit is an expression of who you are. There are some things that need to be tailored, and this is one of them. If you are buying a suit to express your adult self, show that you are an adult and buy a suit that fits. Go to K&G, Banks, Men's Wearhouse, anywhere inexpensive, but for God's sake, buy a suit that fits YOU.

Depending on your budget these will be in the 200-500 range...
Spier and mackary - great suits with solid prices. They have a slim fit as well. Also the shirts are awesome and cheap
Suit supply - if you have a 400-500 budget, definitely put them high on your list.
JCrew - on sale these will work very well and constructed better than expected on a limited budget
Jcrew factory works as well
If you are on a strict budget and want something new, look at Stanford suits at JC Penney. Not to shabby of suit on a budget.

Regarding eBay, it is definitely hit or miss. If you know your measurements to the T, then eBay works very well. If you do go the eBay route, please familiarize yourself with brands and stick with the classic style suits. eBay is a lot of trial and error

I'm sorry, but you should not buy a suit on eBay, especially if it is the one suit that you plan on wearing to functions occasionally. There is a fine line between buying non-essential items inexpensively and buying a suit on the cheap. A suit is an expression of who you are. There are some things that need to be tailored, and this is one of them. If you are buying a suit to express your adult self, show that you are an adult and buy a suit that fits. Go to K&G, Banks, Men's Wearhouse, anywhere inexpensive, but for God's sake, buy a suit that fits YOU.

I don't understand what you are saying here. Every suit someone buys needs to be tailored. Thats going to be true of a suit brand new from a store as well.

If you can get a returnable item, then eBay is just fine. You can get quality at a much reduced price and end up with a much nicer item that will last longer.

I don't really understand the sentiment in this thread that getting it off eBay is worse than the store. You are just trying it on at home instead of a showroom. And you can get a nicer item for your money. A Men's Clotheshouse suit is fine if that's all you can get your hands on, but if you have the opportunity to get a better quality item I would suggest that.

I buy sport jackets and suits on eBay quite a bit. I have had little trouble. I picked up a nice Golden Fleece sport coat with the pockets still stitched shut for 27 dollars.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I won't buy clothes online for two reasons- you never really know about sizing, and they may have been worn by someone else. I have a thing about pre-owned clothing.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh they will have definitely been worn by someone else.

The one exception I could make is on jackets- as they generally have a layer of clothing between the person and the jacket. If I ever find a vintage smoking jacket I may get tempted. I am just weird that way.

I would stick to thrift stores so you can try before you buy.

Personally, I just got my last suit at Target. I honestly don't use it enough for it to matter a whole lot.

Top Bottom