What's new

Butterscotch Stanhome Restoration

I purchased this Stanhome brush last Sunday at a flea market:

$Stanhome Before.jpg $Stanhome Before Bottom.jpg

I almost passed on it because the vendor had the brush grouped with a pair of ceramic coffee mugs—both of which were far too deep and narrow to be used as shaving mugs— and said he didn’t want to break up the original set. :001_rolle Having explained that I was interested in the brush only, as I was walking away he called me back and offered to sell the brush alone for the princely sum of $1.00, which I of course accepted.

I began by briefly soaking the brush in warm water with Dawn detergent, and then gave the handle a good scrubbing with a soft toothbrush. With the boar bristles still wet, using an SE razor blade I gave it the customary haircut, as close to the top of the handle as I could safely manage. For removal of the knot, I used a new-to-me process that worked very well. By way of background, my go-to power tool for brush restoration work is the drill press. I generally prefer it to the Dremel for both drilling and sanding because, for me, it provides far more control and stability. To remove knots I typically drill a small hole through the knot plug, roughly centered in the socket, as a pilot, and then follow with a Forstner bit that is a little smaller than the diameter of the existing socket. I remove the remaining bristles and adhesive along the outer surface, as well as open up the socket if needed, with a small sanding drum (drill press or Dremel). As it happened, the motor on my ancient, full-size Craftsman drill press decided to spin its last earlier in the day (on a Klenzo brush handle, but that’s another story), so I decided to try my hand with the Dremel.

In the course of rooting through the array of Dremel accessories that I’d never had an occasion to use, I came across a high-speed cutter bit (Dremel 561 MultiPurpose Cutting Bit). My plan was to use it essentially as a drill bit, making several holes through the bristles, adhesive and shelf, and then using needle nose pliers to remove the knot, etc., in clumps. As I’m now sure many of you already know from experience, multiple holes were entirely unnecessary. I punched through the shelf with the first hole, noticed that the bit cut well laterally, worked it along the circumference of the socket and had it all cleaned out in no time. There was no filler below the shelf in this brush, and I’m sure that worked in my favor. Using a small sanding drum, I opened the socket slightly to accommodate a 22mm knot. In any event, here’s an “after” photo of the socket:

$Stanhome After Socket.jpg

I really wanted to preserve the butterscotch, so I kept polishing to a minimum. I did use McGuiar’s PlastX with a very light touch, and there was no noticeable color loss. Here’s an “after” photo of the handle:

$Stanhome After.jpg

I’ve decided to take a shot at painting the Stanhome logo and lettering on the handle bottom, although I’m not terribly optimistic it will turn out well. The plastic bottom is relatively soft, and the impressions for the logo and lettering aren’t crisp. While awaiting delivery of the TGN 22mm Super Two Band Finest knot I ordered last night, I need to decide how I want to fill the void in the handle. As it’s completely hollow, a bit of heft would be good. I’m leaning towards using hot melt glue with perhaps a few nickels.

I’ll update this post with photos after I receive and set the knot. In the meantime, questions and comments are welcomed. Thanks!

looks good to me.

Thanks, duderubble!

Very nice! I'd recommend a wine cork as a filler, filled in with epoxy.

Thanks, Jason! I worked on the filler last night and ended up deciding that cork wouldn't provide the heft I want. Ultimately, I filled about three-fourths of the void (the handle is completely hollow) with hot melt glue and three nickels interspersed. The weight now seems about right to me. Once my knot arrives and I decide on the loft, I plan to build the shelf with epoxy.

I have that brush and use it more than any other! Mine does not have that wonderful butterscotch yours has developed. It has a WoodCraft 20mm pure badger, which really isn't that special, but I think I reach for it to preserve my nicer knots.

My TGN knot order arrived on Friday, so I had no good excuse not to complete this restoration. As it turned out, the plug on the 22mm Super 2-Band Finest knot was a bit larger than I've seen (I measured it at just under 23mm), so I had to open up the socket some to accommodate it. I set the loft at 46mm:

$Stanhome Pre-Bloom B.jpg

I used the Stanhome with today's shave, face-lathering Proraso Sensitive soap. The brush's performance was great. My observations on this knot are the same as for the knot I used in a Klenzo B-1019 restoration in this thread.

Here's the Stanhome post-bloom:

$Photo (11).jpg

I'm not yet convinced that the Super 2-Band Finest is worth the extra cost over the regular Finest, but it's a very nice knot.

Two final observations on this restoration. First, I'm glad that I added some weight to the handle; it now has a nice heft, but is still well-balanced. Second, attempting to paint the Stanhome logo and lettering on soft black plastic bottom of the handle was a bust, I believe largely because the impressions are so shallow.

Nice! I like the bigger, gentler knot you set. The years of use your handle had give it much more character than mine. I had purchased a handful of those cheap 20mm knots to put in handles for restoration practice and the Stanhome got one.

Thanks, FL shaver-- I'm really pleased with the outcome on this one, although I'm mildly disappointed that I was unable to paint the logo and lettering.

Nice job on the restore. Did you try using the wiper blade technique on the lettering?

Thanks! Yep, I typically use gigster's windshield wiper method and have had great success. The lettering on this Stanhome, though, was just too lightly impressed into the handle bottom.

Thanks much, Comet. I had a lot of fun with this one, and learned a few things along the way (as always, it seems).

Top Bottom