What's new

Burley Recommendations

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm looking for burley recommendations. Specifically, non fruit nor floral casings or toppings. I seem to be drawn more toward nutty, chocolatey, toasted flavors, just as long as they're not candy sweet, or synthetic in smell and taste. Even light toffee or hazelnut flavors would be fine as long as it's not overdone. Also, I do like Dark Fired Kentucky, but I'm looking for more non DF burleys at the moment. I don't mind if a little DFK is in a reccomendation, but I already have a few DFK blends that I like and have cellared.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have a spreadsheet of 200 some odd tobaccos that you can look at major components and if there are toppings, I'll see if I can post it here as an attachment.

Claudel, the old classics like Carter Hall and Granger have the nutty-chocolatey aroma without being super-sweet. There is also Mac Baren's Burley London Blend; or, if you can't get that, their Golden Extra. Match Edgeworth Ready Rubbed is good in that department too.

I'm smoking a tin of old MacBaren Burley London Blend right now. It has been discontinued but comes back occasionally as a special release. I've read, though, that MacBaren owns Sutliff tobaccos and their Burley Delight is the same thing made in bulk. It'll be my next purchase one of these days...

Solani Aged Burley Flake is also out there. I received a sample from a nice guy on here and liked it well enough, but prefer the Macbaren Burley and HH Dark Fired one better.

Lane's Ready Rubbed is another one, supposed to be similar to the old Edgeworth. Never tried it.

Lane's Burley Light without a Bite is a wonderful burley aromatic with a room note of coconut.

I can't vouch for these blends personally, but Milan Tobacconists has several burley offerings that might interest you. Milestone is a VaBur, 101 Burley is straight white burley, and their Kentucky Club Mild (not to be confused with their KC Mixture clone) is also mainly burley. They offer their "own" takes on PA and CH too. I've yet to try a Milan blend that disappointed me.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have a spreadsheet of 200 some odd tobaccos that you can look at major components and if there are toppings, I'll see if I can post it here as an attachment.

Thanks, Phil. I appreciate the resource, and checked it out this morning. I've also done a good amount of looking on SP and Tobacco Reviews the past few days. The only thing that makes me hesitant towards those lists, are sometimes flavors and other qualities can be either more present or muted compared with what's on the label or blender's description.

Claudel, the old classics like Carter Hall and Granger have the nutty-chocolatey aroma without being super-sweet. There is also Mac Baren's Burley London Blend; or, if you can't get that, their Golden Extra. Match Edgeworth Ready Rubbed is good in that department too.

Carter Hall with some age on it (properly aged, not like the bowl I had last night) is up my alley. I plan on getting some more the next time I swing by the tobacco shop right down the road from me. I was looking at Golden Extra last night. It gets highly rated reviews on a few different sites, so that's promising.

I'm smoking a tin of old MacBaren Burley London Blend right now. It has been discontinued but comes back occasionally as a special release. I've read, though, that MacBaren owns Sutliff tobaccos and their Burley Delight is the same thing made in bulk. It'll be my next purchase one of these days...

Solani Aged Burley Flake is also out there. I received a sample from a nice guy on here and liked it well enough, but prefer the Macbaren Burley and HH Dark Fired one better.

Lane's Ready Rubbed is another one, supposed to be similar to the old Edgeworth. Never tried it.

Lane's Burley Light without a Bite is a wonderful burley aromatic with a room note of coconut.

I went through a tin of Aged Burley Flake a number of years ago, but was not into it at the time. I know quite a few people consider it one of their favorites, if not their favorite. I pulled a tin out of my cellar a couple days ago. So, that might be opened fairly soon, to try it again.

I might have Lanes Ready Rubbed available at my local place. I might have tried it when I first started out, but it's hard to remember. I had quite a few samples given to me in my first year or so.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks, Phil. I appreciate the resource, and checked it out this morning. I've also done a good amount of looking on SP and Tobacco Reviews the past few days. The only thing that makes me hesitant towards those lists, are sometimes flavors and other qualities can be either more present or muted compared with what's on the label or blender's description.

Carter Hall with some age on it (properly aged, not like the bowl I had last night) is up my alley. I plan on getting some more the next time I swing by the tobacco shop right down the road from me. I was looking at Golden Extra last night. It gets highly rated reviews on a few different sites, so that's promising.

I went through a tin of Aged Burley Flake a number of years ago, but was not into it at the time. I know quite a few people consider it one of their favorites, if not their favorite. I pulled a tin out of my cellar a couple days ago. So, that might be opened fairly soon, to try it again.
I just figured that if you narrowed it down to burleys (and maybe something you don't mind), looked at the ones reported to have no flavoring, and subtracted what you know - it might give you an idea of what to try next.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Chocolatey- Watch City Cigar Delux Crumb Cut

Overall great blend Uhle's Blend 00

Watch City, Uhle's, and LJ Peretti seemed like they popped up a few times in some of the older threads I was revisiting last night. I'll definitely check out Watch City and Uhle's websites.

I can't vouch for these blends personally, but Milan Tobacconists has several burley offerings that might interest you. Milestone is a VaBur, 101 Burley is straight white burley, and their Kentucky Club Mild (not to be confused with their KC Mixture clone) is also mainly burley. They offer their "own" takes on PA and CH too. I've yet to try a Milan blend that disappointed me.

I uses to have some Milan Tobacconists blends when I first started out. I remember enjoying them quite a bit.

Granger. A basic, honest Burley, with no fruits, nuts or jimmies added.

Unfortunately, I don't see it around in other than in tub quantities anymore.

I didn't dismiss the OTC codger blends when I was building my cellar, but figured since they were readily available, I didn't have a need to stock up. Now, I wish I would have. If anything, just to round the edges a little and take some of the sharpness off of those burleys. I find this hilarious, because of course, with all that I have cellared, I now want what I don't have (or, I should say, as much of).

Just a tub available is fine. If something sounds like it might be decent, I usually like to stock up anyway.

As good burleys go, it's hard to Beat Carter Hall.

It's one of my main inspirations for wanting to branch out and get some others like it.

LJ Pereti 102, 111, 333 and W. I like 333 and 111. And I don't like many burley forward blends. No- Name I remember liking but it is fragrant.

HH Burkey Kake is topped. I enjoyed it when I could keep it lit. I didn't find it overly topped.

Do any of CD Burley Flakes fit the bill. I liked No 5 but I think it was because of the DFK.

Sutliff J4 Burley might do it for you. Very burley forward with a soft chocolate aftertaste. Simple and easy to smoke like a good burley should be.

Macbaren burley flake is nice. I like Macbaren golden extra as well. All the classic burleys are pretty good. Carter hall, prince albert, and sir walter raleigh. Peter stokkebye toasted burley is good to but I don't think it is available any longer.

Top Bottom