What's new

Building my first lather

I'm using GBS which had mixed reviews. But it was cheap. The complaints were that it didn't lather. That with an the you tube vids demonstrating how to build a lather, i thought i was in for an epic fail.

I started swirling my brush around the cake and it was like it's too bubbly. Bubbles are bad. Yeah still to bubbly... Damn it, I'm not doing it right ... It's supposed to be whipped cream by now but it's still too bubbly. Maybe I have to swirl faster. Nope, still to bubbb... Hey look there. Whipped cream at last!
20210624_000420.jpg

That's actually a good start, @Rook Champ.

Many times, the youtube videos will get you close. However, B&B members have really help me over the years. With harder soaps, you need a stiffer bristled brush. Soak your brush, but then shake most of the water out of it. Then add water back in slowly by dipping the tips (the first 3/8" - 1/2") in your soaking water and continuing to build the lather. It's not a race against time, but more of diligent endeavor.

Brush quality and slowly adding water is your best approach and will make even the most average soaps produce decent lather.

You also may find that building lather on top of the soap puck itself may not yield the best results. You'll find that you will continue to add more soap to your lather, which causes you to need more water, which then causes you to add more soap, and so on.

Your soap looks overhydrated and has broken down. Generally, this means you need to get more product on your brush so lather longer and add a couple of drops of water to the puck every few seconds would be my primary advice to improve your lather.

Staring with a soap that gets mixed reviews for lathering is going to be a harder start than going with a beginner-friendly soap like Proraso, Arko, or TOBS creams. I would highly recommend you try one of those if you can get them easily since it will help rule out the soap as an issue.

How hard is your local water btw? If it's hard definitely go with something that lathers well in hard water and the three I mentioned above work well with all water types. You can also add citric acid to the water if you need to soften it as this acts as a natural chelating agent and can help for soaps that are sensitive to hard water.

ETA: it looks like this is a melt-and-pour glycerin base. You might want to check out the wiki on glycerin soaps. They can be very good but you need to know a few nuances.

"STICKY" post for soaps -Need HELP? read this! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/sticky-post-for-soaps-need-help-read-this.63824/

Last edited:
Top Bottom