What's new

Brush making advice?

I'm looking to make my first brush. There is something cool about making your own gear. Anyways, I will be turning the handle out of some sort of exotic wood (I haven't decided what yet) and purchasing the knot online.

I have been looking at The Golden Nib knots. Any suggestions as far as knots? I don't know much about brushes, I have one boar, and three badger, an EJ BBB, a super badger and a Tweezerman, so nothing really high end.

Is there anything I need to know about making and preping a handle?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

My current knot preference is to the Finest ones from GN. I like the extra stuffed bulb very much.

+1 I've tried the finest bulb, finest fan, silvertip, best, and UK silvertip.

The finests are really great knots for the price. If you face lather set them low. If you really want to shell out some bucks, I can highly recommend the UK silvertip as well, but it is almost 3-4 times the price of the finest. It is however the softest, most dense brush I have. Definitely worth the money, but for $59 you can get some pretty good name brand brushes as well.

My 2 cents

If you want a soft 24mm brush, I'd recommend the 24mm silvertip short loft (the UK silvertips are sold out and won't be restocked, Vulfix double/tripled the price they were charging Tony).

If you want a soft in another size, the grade A silvertips are the way to go.

If you want some scrub, the finest are nice.

There's nothing wrong with the best, but since the finest are only a few dollars more, I'd recommend them.

I'm getting a pure to try out in a few days.

The regular silvertips are decent, but like the UK supers he used to carry, they have ridiculously long hairs, so you need to set them very deep or the brush will be floppy.

Top Bottom