What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

Simpson Persian Jar 1 SiLVERTiP.

The brush is to spec but not as lofty as I was expecting. A nice brush all the same.

IMG_2071.jpeg

A somewhat recent acquisition... 26mm Stabilized wood brush from Terra Firma Soapery. Upon using it for the first time, I realized it was missing some spots of CA (no polish). I reached out the the vendor who admitted it was a mistake but assured me it was so stabilized that it would still be safe to use without worrying about water damage.

Anyone have any idea if this sounds true? It's been bothering me for the past few weeks, since I got it. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20240502_005400587~2.jpg
    PXL_20240502_005400587~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
I believe in complete satisfaction in products I purchase. That would bother me too. Depends on how much you paid.... the vendors desire to make things right, ect. Also, nothing is perfect...... so if you can live with it, just enjoy the brush.

Personally, I would get a replacement.

Please tell us what you decide.

I believe in complete satisfaction in products I purchase. That would bother me too. Depends on how much you paid.... the vendors desire to make things right, ect. Also, nothing is perfect...... so if you can live with it, just enjoy the brush.

Personally, I would get a replacement.

Please tell us what you decide.
Appreciate the response, thank you!

I hadn't planned on asking for a replacement, probably because I'm too nice to push back. Lol. I noticed this and addressed it with them about 6 weeks back. It keeps coming back into my mind as I was more worried about it not lasting.

That said, I am quite particular and it is bothersome to see. However, I was recently thinking I'd just relegate it to an occasional use badger brush and replace the brush with a Synth in a handle that is more my taste.

Maybe I got taken, but they are cheap compared to many other vendors on Etsy. So, maybe I'm to blame too, looking for a cheap brush. Lol.

Any idea if this is going to last or if Terra Firma is lying and it is prone to rot?

Fwiw. I did update my review to reflect the issue, as it's fair and appropriate for any other would be buyers to see...

Last edited:
Appreciate the response, thank you!

I hadn't planned on asking for a replacement, probably because I'm too nice to push back. Lol. I noticed this and addressed it with them about 6 weeks back. It keeps coming back into my mind as I was more worried about it not lasting.

That said, I am quite particular and it is bothersome to see. However, I was recently thinking I'd just relegate it to an occasional use badger brush and replace the brush with a Synth in a handle that is more my taste.

Maybe I got taken, but they are cheap compared to many other vendors on Etsy. So, maybe I'm to blame too, looking for a cheap brush. Lol.

Any idea if this is going to last or if Terra Firma is lying and it is prone to rot?

Fwiw. I did update my review to reflect the issue, as it's fair and appropriate for any other would be buyers to see...

That description promises a handle that is aesthetically pleasing, "gorgeous" even, and not just safe to use. In the end, you may decide that the brush is acceptable for what it cost, but it does not live up to the vendor's description, and his response was not the best either.

Snagged on this silver hair Yaqi a couple weeks ago. I have a travel sized Simpson in best badger. My main brushes are a boar Omega and synthetic Simpson Trafalgar. This is my first higher quality full sized badger. I spent a couple days washing/lathering/scrubbing on a towel to dry to get it clean and start the break in. My first use was yesterday. Boy, it’s nice. Soft tips. Just enough backbone.

IMG_4550.jpeg

Snagged on this silver hair Yaqi a couple weeks ago. I have a travel sized Simpson in best badger. My main brushes are a boar Omega and synthetic Simpson Trafalgar. This is my first higher quality full sized badger. I spent a couple days washing/lathering/scrubbing on a towel to dry to get it clean and start the break in. My first use was yesterday. Boy, it’s nice. Soft tips. Just enough backbone.

View attachment 1840671
I love the design of that Brush, it's so very 50s Disney Hollywood studios. Yaqi made a great choice of colors and design.

Attachments

• 2020-WDW-Hollywood-Studios-Reopening-Day-Entrance-General-Stock.jpg
    2020-WDW-Hollywood-Studios-Reopening-Day-Entrance-General-Stock.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 8
I love the design of that Brush, it's so very 50s Disney Hollywood studios. Yaqi made a great choice of colors and design.
Sorry to go OT, but before Disney took over the property, this used to be the Pan Pacific Auditorium in midtown Los Angeles. It was a landmark structure for years, "Xanadu" the movie was filmed there, and it unfortunately burned down in '89. Glad to see it rebuilt, but then Disney owns a big chunk of Los Angeles now. (I think this is a joke. Then again . . .) (Well, what they don't own, UCLA does.)

And you're right, the brush has those vibes.

panpacific.jpg

Zenith 507 unbleached boar.

Today I finished breaking in this boar brush and in comparison to using it for my shave on April 29, this brush is now a dream! I spent the past 4 days repeating this process, soaking the brush in a mug of water about a 1/2" below the knot for 24 hours, removing and rubbing vigorously on a towel and my hand for about 15 minutes. The brush went from eating up the soap and not making any lather and having the backbone of a 2x12, to absolute luxuriousness! It is so soft on the face with just the right amount of scrub and backbone, and is now an absolute lather monster. Totally worth the breaking in period and highly recommended to anyone wanting to get their boar brush in usable condition quickly.

1714870930152.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the pattern on the handle made? It looks intentional.
Each piece of mammoth fossil ivory interacts with the ground environment it was buried in over the many centuries, so the colors and shapes could be a natural occurrence. Anything beyond that, I am afraid the folks at Voigt & Cop aren't sharing with me, at least. Whatever they did (or didn't do), I love their work result.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Each piece of mammoth fossil ivory interacts with the ground environment it was buried in over the many centuries, so the colors and shapes could be a natural occurrence. Anything beyond that, I am afraid the folks at Voigt & Cop aren't sharing with me, at least. Whatever they did (or didn't do), I love their work result.
I think the pieces of the mammoth tooth are cast in black resin. Mammoth ivory separates easily into the "year rings" of the tooth.
It is pretty much impossible to find a solid piece of them, compared to elephant ivory which is stable and not separating into the layers. Looking for years now for some pieces, but mainly one finds the thinner pieces, often used for knife handles and pistol grip scales. I think they did a good job of showing of the nice structures/coloration of the tooth layers and casting them into resin makes a stable handle.

Top Bottom