What's new

Brooklyn Tailors

This company has really drawn my interest. http://www.etsy.com/shop/BrooklynTailors http://www.brooklyn-tailors.com/index.html They're not cheap but the shirts with the mother of pearl buttons and high quality fabric are very nice. Also, I'm not a fine suit expert but they offer a canvassed, hand made grey worsted with horn buttons and working buttonholes for $675.00. That seems like a pretty good price, but if I'm wrong point me in the right direction. I don't post very often but I wanted to know what some of the fine dressed gentleman on this forum thought. Thanks.

If you're local I'd say go to them and get something tailored. Getting a shirt taken in or a suit altered can give you a good idea about whether or not you'd want to spend a considerable amount of money on a suit with them.

If that's not the case I'd suggest getting a shirt made before you make the leap to a suit. It will give you an idea about how their house style fits you and gives you an introduction to the company so that if things don't go the way you want you won't be out $700.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The say their garments are "designed" in New York ... doubtless they are actually made in Hong Kong or some such place. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but I doubt that you could pop by for a fitting when the bespoke suit is halfway done (as is standard with traditional bespoke suitmaking) to tweak the minor details and fix any glaring errors.

A bespoke suit for under $1000 ... in NYC? The labour must be done in the Third World.

Beware of working buttonholes on 'off the rack' suits ... they significantly limit your ability to have the sleeves shortened to a proper length if they are too long ... the tailor probably has to take the whole sleeve off and re-sew it at the shoulder ... much more expensive IF the tailor is competent to do that advanced work.

IF you are local, why not pop by and see what their suits are like in person. If you can get one that fits, and if the quality is up to scratch, then for that price you did well.

I doubt it's bespoke, more like a made-to-measure suit. Bespoke, in my opinion and also the opinion of many tailors, involves at least one fitting in person to make a pattern specifically for your body and one or more fittings during the construction of the suit to iron out any fit issues that might arise (especially ones that might not be fixable after the fact such as shoulder width or front/rear arm positioning). This is not to say that it's not a good price for a suit like that, but know that the term "bespoke" is used very loosely here.

I doubt it's bespoke, more like a made-to-measure suit. Bespoke, in my opinion and also the opinion of many tailors, involves at least one fitting in person to make a pattern specifically for your body and one or more fittings during the construction of the suit to iron out any fit issues that might arise (especially ones that might not be fixable after the fact such as shoulder width or front/rear arm positioning). This is not to say that it's not a good price for a suit like that, but know that the term "bespoke" is used very loosely here.

Its only bespoke if you actually speak, in person, to the person whom cuts or sews your suit, end of.

Also I would be willing to bet that those suits are made on the small scale in Brooklyn. Rent in Ft. Greene/ Clinton Hill is stupidly cheap and my friends who live there all have more then enough space for a cutting table and a sewing machine or two. If they are made out of house I would bet money they are made in the gramet district in the city.

Importing at such a small scale and that price point makes no sense at all, you have to empoly at least one person in the producing country to check fabric and finished product quality before any thing ships, not to mention getting you patterns cut and samples made locally, shipping them over seas, ordering fabric online, employing a factory, and shipping the suits back.

Small designers just don't have the capital for all of that.

Top Bottom