What's new

broken blades

Recently acquired a razorock super slant with both the open and closed comb . Does anyone have the same problem that I am having with it breaking the blades in half. Blades are (were) Bic chrome platinum and Nacet. Only noticed it when trying to clean after second shave. It looks like a heck of a twist on the blade. I have the more aggressive bottom plates but to me that should not matter as it is just blade gap. Regardless mechanically this thing is twisting the blades to the extreme. Its the twizzler. Anyone else had this much fun?

Thanks everyone,
-Paul

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Recently acquired a razorock super slant with both the open and closed comb . Does anyone have the same problem that I am having with it breaking the blades in half. Blades are (were) Bic chrome platinum and Nacet. Only noticed it when trying to clean after second shave. It looks like a heck of a twist on the blade. I have the more aggressive bottom plates but to me that should not matter as it is just blade gap. Regardless mechanically this thing is twisting the blades to the extreme. Its the twizzler. Anyone else had this much fun?

Thanks everyone,
-Paul
Wow. That's the first I've ever heard of anything like that happening. Definitely too much torque.

Some blades load more smoothly into the Superslant than others. I open my Superslant just a 1/4 turn or so for rinsing. That way I'm not flexing the blade over and over. Doesn't make for great rinsing though.

This thread has posts addressing loading issues, but I haven't seen SS blade breakage reports until yours.

I can try opening for rinsing that does make sense. I like to shave with cold water when I can stand it but rinse the soap away on the razor with warm. I thought this might have something to do with it as the temp changes shocks the metal. I don't even notice it until blade change time and then they come out broken. I have many other slants and this is the only one that this has happened with. Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it.

I haven't had any blades break in the Super Slant yet, but I did have a couple vintage blades break in other razors. I would assume metallurgical defect or age had more to do with those than anything the razor was doing, however.

I had to snap Astra greens in their wrappers deliberately, to go in a Leaf Twig (half-blade) razor, and they were bent almost double before they let go.

Maybe the stress is worse if it's applied asymmetrically, though.

Top Bottom