What's new

Brie/Camembert Becoming Extinct???

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
The darn mold used in these two is cloned and after years of this it has been degrading. Certainly not the end of the world as wonderful stinky cheeses don't suffer from mold cloning issues. But I do like to put out a nice mellow camembert on the charcuterie board for my less adventurous guests. And Mrs. Chef will straight up poop a 🐇 if there is no brie en croute for the holidays. Yup, that's the frightening aspect right there.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've had no issues finding Brie, at least recently. It's a fave, so I hope that any fears are resolved.
I don't do Camembert.

SCOUT: Camembert, perhaps?
OWNER: Ah! We have Camembert, yessir.
SCOUT: (suprised) You do! Excellent.
OWNER: Yessir. It's..ah,.....it's a bit runny...
SCOUT: Oh, I like it runny.
OWNER: Well,.. It's very runny, actually, sir.
SCOUT: No matter. Fetch hither the fromage de la Belle France! Mmmwah!
OWNER: I...think it's a bit runnier than you'll like it, sir.
SCOUT: I don't care how blinking runny it is. Hand it over with all speed.
OWNER: Oooooooooohhh........!
SCOUT: What now?
OWNER: The cat's eaten it.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I've had no issues finding Brie, at least recently. It's a fave, so I hope that any fears are resolved.
I don't do Camembert.

SCOUT: Camembert, perhaps?
OWNER: Ah! We have Camembert, yessir.
SCOUT: (suprised) You do! Excellent.
OWNER: Yessir. It's..ah,.....it's a bit runny...
SCOUT: Oh, I like it runny.
OWNER: Well,.. It's very runny, actually, sir.
SCOUT: No matter. Fetch hither the fromage de la Belle France! Mmmwah!
OWNER: I...think it's a bit runnier than you'll like it, sir.
SCOUT: I don't care how blinking runny it is. Hand it over with all speed.
OWNER: Oooooooooohhh........!
SCOUT: What now?
OWNER: The cat's eaten it.

Not an supply issue YET...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2024/03/09/camembert-brie-cheese-extinct-france/

Vive le brie!

I can almost always get Brie in the local supermarket and sometimes Camembert. There's not a Trader Joe's within 100 miles, but when I can get to one I always check out the cheese. Sometimes I can even score a small wheel of Goat's Milk Brie; interesting, and not as strong a flavor as most goat cheese.

As someone who was born and raised in Normandie (and yes it is ie not y) I gotta say we won't miss much in the camembert department state side . I would not buy a president one for 2 euros in France, I ain't spending $10 for that crap here for sure.

If only you knew what a whole milk perfectly ripened camembert taste like you would understand ...

Oh one last thing, Never store it in your fridge it do not belongs there. Not sure it belong under the bathroom sink either but darn leave it in the counter for a few days , it it feel soft when you gently press it, you are good to go. If after cutting a piece of it must of the inside start to fall appart on the table you got a winner and thankfully must folk cannot understand the difference between stink and flavor so must likely you'll be the only one to eat it.

PS: I still bring "stinky cheese" to work potluck ... The only way I can insure that I'll be the only one to eat some otherwise the kids at home will devour it before I have a chance to get a piece of it.

While I totally agree with you on the storage of les fromages mon ami, sadly here that is not an option. On an average day, my kitchen is 27C and it would wreck a camembert or brie. When we are lucky enough to be at the house in France (near Tours) we can get great cheeses at the local markets and let them breathe!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Wensleydale?

Whoa... easy there. That's kind of like asking "Toggle?".

1712090051893.png

1712090085526.png

1712090121532.png

Top Bottom