What's new

BRAND NEW Gillette "New", but what exactly have I got here?

Nice looking razor. A great shaver, to be sure. I'd probably pay 50 bucks for it. Maybe.

You can't shave with a case, and I'm not a collector.

Nobody's gonna pay $395 for that razor.

I think there is a difference between Over priced, Over paid and taking someone for a sucker, and taking someone for a sucker just isnt kool, especially a newbie :eek:/ not kool at all but thats just me.

Porter,

You have WAY too much time on your hands. But I am so glad you do! LOL! Thanks for the data. Fascinating and thorough as always.

Porter is awesome! He ID my New Deluxe Red & Black. Without me having the case. :thumbup: Now I do have a case for it. Thanks Porter.

Sweet, I can actually claim to know something in the forums for the first time! Easy day: the old War Department contract numbering system isn't like what's used today in the Federal government. Today, we use an activity code (say, W911S7 for Fort Leonard Wood as the issuing office), plus a two-digit year code (11 for 2011), plus a one-character contract type code (say, D for indefinite-quantity) and a four-digit serial number. Back then, you got a purchase order serial number, the issuing office (Jersey City QM Depot, correct!), and a contract award/effective date.

Under the pre-National Stock Number system (in which EVERYBODY in the Government now uses the same stock number for a thing), you'd have depots assigning a stock number. As is true today, ordering a particular stock number might give you the general "thing" (like, say, a wrench), but it might be made by multiple contractors, all with slight cosmetic differences.

So, that particular item is the right SN, but it would appear that the War Department went to different contractors to make the same general item. That's why you'll see the same stock number on different razor sets.

Matter of fact, I just found another variant on Ebay this evening. Here's a picture:

$SN 29-R-1035.JPG

So, can anyone tell me about this one?

View attachment 221122

The P.O. number, I assume, is the purchase order number, but I can't quite figure out what "NYGD" would be. Other wartime sets I've turned up have designations like "JCQD" or "JCQMD," which I've been able to trace to mean "Jersey City Quartermaster's Depot." I've also found other references that would seem to indicate that the "GD" is likely "General Depot," so I would extrapolate that NYGD would be "New York General Depot."

Sweet, I can actually claim to know something in the forums for the first time! Easy day: the old War Department contract numbering system isn't like what's used today in the Federal government. Today, we use an activity code (say, W911S7 for Fort Leonard Wood as the issuing office), plus a two-digit year code (11 for 2011), plus a one-character contract type code (say, D for indefinite-quantity) and a four-digit serial number. Back then, you got a purchase order serial number, the issuing office (Jersey City QM Depot, correct!), and a contract award/effective date.

Under the pre-National Stock Number system (in which EVERYBODY in the Government now uses the same stock number for a thing), you'd have depots assigning a stock number. As is true today, ordering a particular stock number might give you the general "thing" (like, say, a wrench), but it might be made by multiple contractors, all with slight cosmetic differences.

So, that particular item is the right SN, but it would appear that the War Department went to different contractors to make the same general item. That's why you'll see the same stock number on different razor sets.

Matter of fact, I just found another variant on Ebay this evening. Here's a picture:

View attachment 351509

So, can anyone tell me about this one?
Old thread and no answer.......wonder what he wanted to know

Top Bottom