What's new

šŸ˜¬ Brace rule

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Just remember all... A nationwide preliminary injunction isn't the same as the brace "rule" being deemed unconsitutional. Yes, it is a DAMN good sign that all 4 of the boxes have been checked...
(1) irreparable injury in the absence of such an order;
(2) that the threatened injury to the moving party outweighs the harm to the opposing party resulting from the order;
(3) that the injunction is not adverse to public interest; and
(4) that the moving party has a substantial likelihood of success on the merits.

All that said... This isn't over. Keep you powder dry! SCOTUS is gonna have to kick some folks in the teeth for this to be final. That said, I am over joyed by this rulling!

P.S. I am not a lawyer. Just my ramblings.
Ā 

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Working the range as an RSO, I see a lot of braces still in use. I don't know if the owners are unaware that they might be illegal, or they think that the issue is settled, don't care or are totally unaware of the controversy. I doubt any are registered as SBRs.
Ā 
There is currently a nationwide injunction preventing the ATF from enforcing their "rule". That won't save a citizen from some over-zealous agent or local cop looking to get a score. Time will sort this out. Personally, if I can't go shooting on the farm or other private property, I would definitely only use plain vanilla items. Not for fear of consequences personally but who pays the bills and feeds the family while some ego tripping goose stepper works to get a notch in their belt. Matt Hoover/CRS Firearms is to me an example of this. Keep your head down and on a swivel. (Just read nikonNUT's post, he has it covered.)
Ā 
Working the range as an RSO, I see a lot of braces still in use. I don't know if the owners are unaware that they might be illegal, or they think that the issue is settled, don't care or are totally unaware of the controversy. I doubt any are registered as SBRs.
Braces in and of themselves are not illegal per se. Are these observances that you mention coupled with a measurement of barrel lengths?
Ā 

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Braces in and of themselves are not illegal per se. Are these observances that you mention coupled with a measurement of barrel lengths?
Agreed. I didn't have any reason to measure barrel lengths, we aren't concerned with whether they are legal or not. But they were obviously under 16 inches. Sometimes I will point out certain things, such as a vertical fore grip installed on an AR pistol with an arm brace being a possible felony violation. I said to one shooter once "I don't personally care, I'm not law enforcement, but I hope you realize that you are in violation of ATF rules..." He seemed truly surprised and said "But I bought everything online, so I thought it was all legal.":oops:
Ā 
IMG_2949.jpeg

Colt CR6920-No brace. No worries. Still remains the one most useless firearm I own. Hasnā€™t come out of the safe in a long, long time. Most probably might sell it when the next generation Colt Diamondback revolvers hit the market.
Ā 
View attachment 1782452
Colt CR6920-No brace. No worries. Still remains the one most useless firearm I own. Hasnā€™t come out of the safe in a long, long time. Most probably might sell it when the next generation Colt Diamondback revolvers hit the market.
You could have a brace installed and still have no worries. Because that's a rifle with a 16" barrel. And therefore, technically not a pistol.
Ā 
View attachment 1782452
Still useful, just not being used at the moment. I have a few that haven't seen the light of day for a while too. Happy to have all of them considering how things are going in the world lately. Never know when the neighborhood might have to join up to fight the zombies and I don't think the old ladies down the street have any gear. :) Happy to hear the brace rule is getting slapped down but millions were going to ignore the ban anyway as gov overreach.
Ā 
View attachment 1782452
I will happily give you a hundred bucks for that useless firearm! šŸ˜œ Iā€™ll even throw in an extra $50 for the Aimpoint!šŸ˜¬šŸ˜‚

In all seriousness, great looking AR! šŸ˜ŽšŸ¤™
Ā 

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Why would anyone want to put a brace on a rifle instead of a stock? I see absolutely no advantage to this.
You could have a brace installed and still have no worries. Because that's a rifle with a 16" barrel. And therefore, technically not a pistol.
Ā 
Not sure I see a lot of rationale to the whole concept of the ā€œAR Pistolā€ idea actually. Use of such a firearm for fun & games-shoot ā€˜em up activity I suppose might make some sense. Defense purposes perhaps, I believe there are better choices.
But then, Iā€™m not going to criticize anyone regarding their choice and style of preferred firearm(s).šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Ā 

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Not sure I see a lot of rationale to the whole concept of the ā€œAR Pistolā€ idea actually. Use of such a firearm for fun & games-shoot ā€˜em up activity I suppose might make some sense. Defense purposes perhaps, I believe there are better choices.
But then, Iā€™m not going to criticize anyone regarding their choice and style of preferred firearm(s).šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
It's interesting looking at older pictures of the Reagan attempted assassination. Some of the Secret Service were armed with braced short barrel handguns but the images quite often show them being used not braced and even with the brace held in the weak hand.
Ā 

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I can see where someone can see the utility of choosing a compact, short barreled, easy recoil and easy to maneuver AR Pistol that is suppressed and chambered for a subsonic pistol caliber over the heavy, cumbersome and extremely harsh recoil and loud percussion of a combat shotgun inside the tight confines of a home in order to fend off multiple invaders?

But thatā€™s just me? Iā€™m a peculiar sortā€¦. :)
Ā 
I can see where someone can see the utility of choosing a compact, short barreled, easy recoil and easy to maneuver AR Pistol that is suppressed and chambered for a subsonic pistol caliber over the heavy, cumbersome and extremely harsh recoil and loud percussion of a combat shotgun inside the tight confines of a home in order to fend off multiple invaders?

But thatā€™s just me? Iā€™m a peculiar sortā€¦. :)
Yours is a valid outlook. However, home defense, first line of options, for me?
Iā€˜m sticking with old schoolā€¦Benelli M2.
IMG_7786.jpeg
Ā 
It's interesting looking at older pictures of the Reagan attempted assassination. Some of the Secret Service were armed with braced short barrel handguns but the images quite often show them being used not braced and even with the brace held in the weak hand.

I know there were Uzis and a couple of shorty Rem 870s. A pistol-caliber carbine, within 100 yards, is profound superiority over opponents armed with handguns.

SBRs are different. Most rifle cartridges are loaded optimized for a 16"-20" barrel. You can go 14" without significant loss, maybe 12", but that is highly load-dependant.

The question is, what is the intended role? Are you loading up to defeat body armor? Effectively punch through autobody and/or glass? Is the barrel/load enhancing you capability, or is it, "I'm shooting a RIFLE caliber...!"?

Yuks & grins aside, they tend to be very niche weapons...and most people aren't even aware of where that niche is in their metaphorical house.
Ā 
Top Bottom