What's new

Bow Tie Knot

I've been wearing regular bow ties for a while now and recently picked up two slims. I can't seem to get the knot as tight on the slim as I can't on the regular bow tie. Any tips or suggestions?

I've never worn a slim, but when I first started wearing a bow tie (something I still do on occassion), I had problems with the bowtie "twirling." The only way I was able to get the bowtie to stay horizontal was to practice tying the knot when I wasn't in a rush. I'd recommend you do the same with a slim. Just throw on a shirt and stand in front of the mirror on a lazy afternoon/evening and practice for a while. If you still can't get the knot how you like it, I'd go back to the store at which you bought it and ask for pointers.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave.

I bought my first bow ties from Amazon dirt cheap. They are thin bow ties and very easy to tie. The new slims I bought from the Tie Bar are twice as thick, good quality and will last longer but I think the thickness is making it more difficult to tie. They were pretty inexpensive in terms of tie costs around $15 bucks each.

Anyway, it was good to know a few folks are still wearing bow ties.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Gurnall:
I've been wearing Bow Ties for a while now (albiet not slim ones), because it has saved me time in the morning not having to tie a neck tie and at the same time give me a more distinguished (and scholarly?
proxy.php
), apprearance.

When I was young, members of my 'group' would frown :thumbdown: upon wearing bow ties in that there are only worn by grumby old professors and the like, but now...the more I see them worn (The 'Price is Right' host Drew Carey, Sir Winston Churchill and 'Sunday Morning' host Charles Osgood just to name a few), the more I like them. Call it a 'zen' momment because it's 'just what the doctor ordered'. :yesnod:

Beacause my carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists is fairing not up to par, not to say the least of my symptoms of MS...I wear an assortment of high quaility Pre-Tied Adjustable Neck Band Bow Ties (and I no longer wear dress shirts with collor buttons either),. :lol1:

Also, I like wearing bow ties because it would look as another unique, distinctive and professional look / statement (hey...I even get great comments on the argyle socks I wear everyday), because as member Robert (a.k.a. BladeRunner001), so eloquently put it, "You can either come across as a Pee-wee Herman or [Sir], W[inston]. Churchill".

Christopher
proxy.php
"Let them see you and not the suit. That should be secondary". Cary Grant

Last edited:
Perhaps the quality of the silk is inferior? I've got some bow ties that are made with inferior silk that are near impossible to tie well.

With a normal bow tie, the two folds tend to form permanent creases, and this helps greatly when tying the knot. You should encourage the creases, maybe even storing them folded at those places. I imagine this would be even more useful with slim ties.

Top Bottom